Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

What makes a ‘Club’

What makes a ‘Club’  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in social meets/shows?

• Absolutely not, I’d much rather stay on my keyboard.
    • An option to attend regional meets/shows, would be great.

Just a thought. Having been involved in the dub scene for many years, clubs we’ve been involved in have had affiliated sites, discounts, social meets, show meets. Generally a good community feeling. For all the members on here, there doesn’t seem to be much going on other than a few regular posters on the forum. 
Just wondered what people thought about this, or for those who have been involved in clubs before, what their experience was?

1 hour ago, Jellybean said:

I think meets are a great way to pick up knowledge. I am involved with other car clubs and we have several "national" and "regional" meets each year.

Agreed, and thank you for the positive input. I parked next to an alphard yesterday in the hope of meeting the owners and starting a revolution, unfortunately we never met 😆 

So from what currently stands at 32 views, we have 3 people (4 including us) who have an opinion 😆. On a plus point, at least 4 of us would like to be involved in meeting up, it looks like regional meets would consist on one motor sitting in a pub car park, but a dynamic national meet looks possible 😂 

• Haha 2

Surely, there are two issues here.

The first is Are members interested in attending meets ?

The second is Are members interested in arranging the meets ?

If any members are volunteering to arrange meets on behalf of the Forum, please let me know and I'll refer them to the owner of the Forum.

I would certainly be interested in attending a meet within Devon, Cornwall or Somerset.

There was a meet in Scotland, recently, which was arranged informally between members and , presumably, non members of this Forum.

There is a video available on YouTube. Cuttothechase.

7 minutes ago, Rojie said:

Surely, there are two issues here.

The first is Are members interested in attending meets ?

The second is Are members interested in arranging the meets ?

If any members are volunteering to arrange meets on behalf of the Forum, please let me know and I'll refer them to the owner of the Forum.

I would certainly be interested in attending a meet within Devon, Cornwall or Somerset.

There was a meet in Scotland, recently, which was arranged informally between members and , presumably, non members of this Forum.

There is a video available on YouTube. Cuttothechase.

Thank you for your input. The first point around members actually wanting to have meets is the purpose of this post! Arranging informal meets really is not too much of a problem and not entirely sure why these things are being referred to as ‘issues’.

Also was unaware that it was against forum rules to try to arrange a get together and we had to go through the owners, for that I apologise.

Fantastic that you would want to attend and I’d guess that there are quite a few owners in your most beautiful part of the county who would happily meet up on a sunny Sunday afternoon (I believe there will be one of those mid August). With regards to the club appearing as a club, I would’ve thought this would automatically been taken on by those who are involved in running the club? If this is not the case, I’m pretty sure that there are others, myself included, who would be more than happy to discuss attending events with event organisers and booking in ‘x’ amount of vehicles to attend. 

In the past we have encouraged new people to join groups I have been involved with by attending events, being seen, being friendly, having a bit of fun. In my experience this only fosters a more positive community feel and also a great way to gain affiliation with useful organisations. 

Also aware that this might go absolutely nowhere and this will remain an online only forum, but no harm in asking!

Take a look at the Nissan Elgrand Forum.

It is really very good, and has regular informal and formal meets across the uk.

They actually wave at each  other too, unlike the 3 Alphies I see regularly by me, that are a miserable bunch and leave me feeling like a weirdo for waving lol!

• Haha 1

Hi, many years ago we had a Mazda Bongo[Ford Freda] and we joined the owners club and although we couldn't attend any meets[wife's a church organist, so weekends are busy], the meets were extremely popular throughtout the UK.

We now have a few more weekends free and would be happy to join meets down this way.

I have been an active member of the DAF Owners Club for many years and continue to contribute to the maintenance issues having been a DAF trained mechanic in the cars heyday.

I recently organised a visit to the Haynes Motor Museum with a guided tour which went extremely well, although when organising the visit many members expressed a firm interest, turnout was a little disappointing.

My advice is give it a go. We'll help if we can!

2 hours ago, Catweazle said:

Take a look at the Nissan Elgrand Forum.

It is really very good, and has regular informal and formal meets across the uk.

They actually wave at each  other too, unlike the 3 Alphies I see regularly by me, that are a miserable bunch and leave me feeling like a weirdo for waving lol!

We were looking at elgrands before accidentally buying the Vellfire and had joined the Elgar and forum. Got to say they were massively friendly and helpful, lots of activity with a real willingness to help idiots like me!

1 hour ago, Oddcouple said:

We were looking at elgrands before accidentally buying the Vellfire and had joined the Elgar and forum. Got to say they were massively friendly and helpful, lots of activity with a real willingness to help idiots like me!

Just noticed the slightly bizarre auto correct of*Elgar and* clearly Elgrand 😂 

1 hour ago, Oddcouple said:

Just noticed the slightly bizarre auto correct of*Elgar and* clearly Elgrand 😂 

Elgar Forum!! Classical music only booming from the Alphie's speakers.

6 minutes ago, Catweazle said:

Elgar Forum!! Classical music only booming from the Alphie's speakers.

Hmm, I do occasionally get Brahms and Liszt in campsites……

8 hours ago, Oddcouple said:

Thank you for your input. The first point around members actually wanting to have meets is the purpose of this post! Arranging informal meets really is not too much of a problem and not entirely sure why these things are being referred to as ‘issues’.

Also was unaware that it was against forum rules to try to arrange a get together and we had to go through the owners, for that I apologise.

Fantastic that you would want to attend and I’d guess that there are quite a few owners in your most beautiful part of the county who would happily meet up on a sunny Sunday afternoon (I believe there will be one of those mid August). With regards to the club appearing as a club, I would’ve thought this would automatically been taken on by those who are involved in running the club? If this is not the case, I’m pretty sure that there are others, myself included, who would be more than happy to discuss attending events with event organisers and booking in ‘x’ amount of vehicles to attend. 

In the past we have encouraged new people to join groups I have been involved with by attending events, being seen, being friendly, having a bit of fun. In my experience this only fosters a more positive community feel and also a great way to gain affiliation with useful organisations. 

Also aware that this might go absolutely nowhere and this will remain an online only forum, but no harm in asking!

Hello Oddcouple,

Thanks for your interest in developing the social aspects of The Club; but I think there is some misunderstanding here

Perhaps issues is too strong of a phrase for me to have used.

So, as far as I am aware, there is no restriction on members trying, or succeeding, in arranging meets.

What I was trying to point out is, that as far as I am aware, there are no official Alphard Club meets. That is meets that are organised by the Club Staff.

I was, and remain, happy to refer this 'fact' to the Owner to enquire about his views on having 'The Club' officially involved in such arrangements.

There is, of course, no need for members to seek permission to gather together for whatever reason.

Nor can I see any reason why the Forum could not be used as a method to facilitate a meeting.

However, my reason for joining was for technical support, and not for social interaction.

Having said that, I cannot believe the Forum, or Club, would wish to obstruct any social interaction on this site.

Perhaps, with time, the focus of the Club / Forum will shift from a more technical mutual / self help group to one with a more social focus.

It is difficult to understand why both could not be achieved.

Regarding your, and other members, ability and desire to arrange meets, I agree with Starider; "give it a go".

May I respectfully suggest, you send a PM to Alphard Club to further your interest in promoting the Club in this way.

1 minute ago, Rojie said:

Hello Oddcouple,

Thanks for your interest in developing the social aspects of The Club; but I think there is some misunderstanding here

Perhaps issues is too strong of a phrase for me to have used.

So, as far as I am aware, there is no restriction on members trying, or succeeding, in arranging meets.

What I was trying to point out is, that as far as I am aware, there are no official Alphard Club meets. That is meets that are organised by the Club Staff.

I was, and remain, happy to refer this 'fact' to the Owner to enquire about his views on having 'The Club' officially involved in such arrangements.

There is, of course, no need for members to seek permission to gather together for whatever reason.

Nor can I see any reason why the Forum could not be used as a method to facilitate a meeting.

However, my reason for joining was for technical support, and not for social interaction.

Having said that, I cannot believe the Forum, or Club, would wish to obstruct any social interaction on this site.

Perhaps, with time, the focus of the Club / Forum will shift from a more technical mutual / self help group to one with a more social focus.

It is difficult to understand why both could not be achieved.

Regarding your, and other members, ability and desire to arrange meets, I agree with Starider; "give it a go".

May I respectfully suggest, you send a PM to Alphard Club to further your interest in promoting the Club in this way.

Top post Rojie, perhaps my absolute lack of technical knowledge is my driving force to look at other avenues! I really believe that with a wee bit of planning and willingness, great things can happen. I did not join this group to become a mad activist with desire to change things, I may have had ideas before joining on how we would operate as a club which were based on past experiences. Hopefully we can all grow on here and all get what we want whether that be technical assistance (which I need massively) or social interaction which we can all limit to what feels right. Thank you for clearing up any misunderstandings I may have had.

• Like 1

Hey, I find the social part of A2oc.net,  the Audi A2 owners club very interesting and fulfilling. The meets promote help, info and camaraderie. They also promote trust and goodwill, to the extent that bulky items are often relayed around the country from sellers to buyers. All done on trust and foc!

Their forum has a Social section to promote annual national, or random local events, which works well.

Maybe we need to increase membership, and an easy means is via meets?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jellybean said:

Hey, I find the social part of A2oc.net,  the Audi A2 owners club very interesting and fulfilling. The meets promote help, info and camaraderie. They also promote trust and goodwill, to the extent that bulky items are often relayed around the country from sellers to buyers. All done on trust and foc!

Their forum has a Social section to promote annual national, or random local events, which works well.

Hi Jelly,

As I just noted with Oddie, please give it a go.

12 minutes ago, Jellybean said:

Tweets can be great to keep posted but I believe initial chat could also be on a whatsapp group to get things going. Perhaps group facilitators can start one.

I suggested on one post to join this JDM one if anyone is interested. https://chat.whatsapp.com/FtNJuyGwAowBH2Co6K2N3Y

• Like 1

I would be keen to attend a meet in Cornwall if others were interested - I have good links with The Eden Project and could easily organise a car park for us to use.   

• Like 2

So I think we can close this now. Much more response on the thread started today by @ Alphard Club so I will respectfully withdraw from the discussion. Thanks to those who supported the idea initially and here’s hoping the club can evolve into something a little bit more that a forum. Good luck to all !

• Like 1