Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Found some alloys! (slight issue)

hey guys, ive found a pair of alloys on ebay the exact same as yours @ThuMentaliss 

The only issue is that they have been powdercoated and I am wanting a chrome look and these have been turned black.

They were originally black, but I don't think black wheels will look good on my black Alphard

If anyone knows how to remove powdercoating, advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hope to Hear some advice soon 

What size are the wheels ?

245 35 19 is the tyre size, not the wheel size.

They will lower the car a little too.

You need to know what size the wheel is.

You need the J number of the new wheels AND the offset. Often marked on the inside of the wheel.

Check that all five wheels have the same offset, or you will (may) be restricted on what wheels can be fitted to front and back.

Don't assume the wheel clearances are the same front and back.

What we do know is that a standard Alphie fitted with standard Alphie wheels and tyres there are no clearance issues.

I'll check what the standard Alphard offset is, and let you know.

If they are so nice, why are they being sold ?

Can you trial fit them before you buy them.

Make sure the tyres are not Run Flats.

Ok so (Alphie) standard tyre sizes are :

205 65 16 on a 6.5 JJ wheel with 39mm offset, or

225 55 17 on a 7 JJ wheel with 45mm offset

PCD 114.3mm

If the offsets are changed the wheel will move inward or outward relative to the car; known as "poke".

Often a desirable effect until the clearances become critical while the suspension is under maximum deflection.

With 35 profile tyres (and the same tyre pressures) your ride will harden considerably and your ride height will change too.

I'll run the numbers and write again but really need those wheel sizes ( I assume front and back are different from what you said.

Hi again,

I have written to the guy requesting wheel sizes and offsets.

With those you can get under the car and make some measurements, if necessary!

Don't worry, I will not be bidding against you.

I guess you won't be visiting Elgin for a trial fit either; quite a round trip.

The description says the rears have a nice concave shape. 

If the wheel sizes are the same, more or less concave suggests different wheel offsets.

Which also (may) imply the wheels will not allow proper tyre wear rotation; if you care (I don't rotate for tyre wear; avoids replacing all tyres at the same time).

BE CAREFUL.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/20/2021 at 9:28 PM, charliec said:

hey guys, ive found a pair of alloys on ebay the exact same as yours @ThuMentaliss 

The only issue is that they have been powdercoated and I am wanting a chrome look and these have been turned black.

They were originally black, but I don't think black wheels will look good on my black Alphard

If anyone knows how to remove powdercoating, advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hope to Hear some advice soon 

You would need to use nitromors paint stripper, or acid bath them or just a lot of sanding to remove all the powder coat/ paint, also powder coat is often thicker than normal paint. 

Once the wheels are stripped you would need to sand them and then can begin polishing and eventually get to a mirror polish shine (not chrome) but still nice.

It would cost a lot of money to chrome a set of wheels!