Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Rear fog light conversion

Hello Phil,

Welcome to the Alphard Forum.

My Alphie has something similar to these. I do not know that they are these; almost certainly not.

Although they look much nicer than the discrete, under bumper, version; my caution would be that, I believe, rear fog lights have to be a set wattage (not brightness).

I would check that these comply, or otherwise, with the MOT regulations.

DVLA has a very good website for MOT requirements. Try it, it may help you decide.

Hi Rojie et al.

I have checked the MOT requirements on the GOV.UK website and note that whilst no wattage is specified it does say that the function of the rear fog lamp must not be adversely affected by the operation of any other lamp.

The fog lamp can be included in any rear position lamp and LED lights are ok providing the light emitted is steady.

I take it from this that as long as the fog lamp is brighter than the other lamps it should be ok. I’ll give it a go and see what happens at the MOT.

Regards

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I had replied to this topic, but it seems to have disappeared,so I repeat: Having looked at these fog lights which replace the reflectors, I am a little concerned that it removes a legal requirement i.e. that all vehicles must have at least 2 rear red reflectors  incase of rear light failure/or parked without parking lights. Last night I illuminated the rear of the Alphard and appart from the reflectors none of the other lamps when switched off. had any reflective properties.

This means that if these replacements are fitted, reflectors will need to be added.

2 hours ago, starider said:

Thought I had replied to this topic, but it seems to have disappeared,so I repeat: Having looked at these fog lights which replace the reflectors, I am a little concerned that it removes a legal requirement i.e. that all vehicles must have at least 2 rear red reflectors  incase of rear light failure/or parked without parking lights. Last night I illuminated the rear of the Alphard and appart from the reflectors none of the other lamps when switched off. had any reflective properties.

This means that if these replacements are fitted, reflectors will need to be added.

Hello Starider,

You raise a very interesting point. Thank you.

I have a 2006 Alphie which has two rear fog lights fitted. It does have an MOT.

Tonight I will check whether my fog lights are reflective, or not, when illuminated by a torch or headlight.

I expect they will be, but if not I will be having some harsh words with the importer of my vehicle.

As you say, the DVLA instructions to MOT testers is very clear on this issue.

3 hours ago, Phil59 said:

Hi all

Good point raised by starider. Thank you.

Rojie, would appreciate an update on your night-time test to see if your rear fog lamps are reflectors also?

Regards

Hi Phil,

You won't believe this !

I just went outside to check the reflectors on my Alphie.

My Alphie is not there !

When you get to my age these things happen !

It is currently locked away in the Convertors premises !

As soon as I can answer your question; I will.

The single rear fog light fitted by the importer to my Alphard is poorly fitted and points upwards, I calculate it would shine in a following vehicle's driver's eyes. It is reflective but looks awful. The reflectors are as fitted from new, and therefore legal. Please ,everyone check you have two reflectors,it is highly likely they could have been missed during an MOT Test, but you never know you could be followed by a bored police patrol!! The rear fog is so bad I have ordered a pair of flush fitting fogs and as there is not enough space behind the bumper,I have made and painted, to match the paintwork, two neat brackets to fit under the bumper each side.

I have to fit front and rear mud flaps and will attach oblong reflectors on each of the rear set.

If anyone is interested the mudflaps are advertised on "fleabay", just punch in mudflaps for Land Rover Defender 144138766365 and at just under £14 for the 4,good value. I haven't fitted them yet, but have offered them up and all looks good. They are plastic, but can be easily cut if necessary and mould to shape easily.

Good morning Starider,

I am hoping that most of us have legal reflectors, but, if not, I think your idea of mounting them on mudflaps is fantastic.

I had be worrying where I would fit additional reflectors, if needed.

I had been considering mudflaps anyway as my white paintwork gets very messy behind the front wheel arches on the front doors.

I will also have my mains hookup under the car behind the rear wheel arch (out of sight); another reason for a mudflap.

I have seen some mudflap sets on ebay that purport to be for Alphies, only £14 (or so) !

Thanks again for sharing such a great idea, Good luck with the fitting process.

Hi Rojie,  I think the ones you have seen are the same as the ones for Land Rovers and are 1p less than £14. A question ,is there any way of adding pictures onto a post? It may help others when they are considering "additions".

2 hours ago, starider said:

Hi Rojie,  I think the ones you have seen are the same as the ones for Land Rovers and are 1p less than £14. A question ,is there any way of adding pictures onto a post? It may help others when they are considering "additions".

Yes there is a way of adding photos.

Prepare your photo on your desktop.

"Click on the quote line and a drag files here to attach, or chose files" will appear.

Drag and drop from your desktop or search your desktop.

Should be easy ! Give it a try.

And of course press Submit Reply. If you exit before pressing the SR the Forum will not post your contribution, but it will remember it for later use.

Good Luck.