Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

2.4 engine

Ian24

Hi all Alphard fans, am I right in reading that the 2.4cc 2002 to 2007 engines were problem ridden and the 2007 onwards have been updated to a more reliable one. There seem to be a lot of conflicting comments regarding this engine, not on this forum but read elsewhere. Any information would be great. Happy motoring ian24😎😎

1 hour ago, Ian24 said:

Mine is fine. (2.4s Evo)It's a friend of mine. I think he's been looking at YouTube too much and coming up with a lot of American videos. I think he's panicking.

They were some issues with the 2.4 in the States; and there is ongoing class action activity.

As far as I am aware those engines were made in Kentucky (US) for the US Camry.

Your friends Alphard will not have a US engine.

Correct antifreeze and scheduled oil changes are the way for him to go for peace of mind.

If he has a high miler, oil change in the auto box may be worth considering.

He will have a cam chain so should be OK.

I don't know how long the water pumps last.

I am currently waiting for my (free) Toyota pre winter inspection appointment.

39 minutes ago, Ian24 said:

Hi, how did you get a free pre winter inspection??🥶

I have not received the appointment yet; but Toyota wrote to me.

it's included in their latest marketing material "Toyota To You"

I need to chase it.

Have you registered your vehicle with your local Toyota dealer ?

Edited by Rojie
Addition

14 minutes ago, Ian24 said:

I wrote to Toyota GB and they wrote back stating they do not recognize imports. I'll try my local Toyota dealer.🤔🤔

I, and a lot of other owners, have discovered that Toyota dealers can be very huffy about imports.

My local dealer is the Snows Group. They have several branches.

I am going for mine this afternoon. See what happens.

I only need my antifreeze concentration testing; but it is a sales opportunity for them to make some sales.

But I will appreciate the peace of mind.

On 11/30/2021 at 12:12 PM, Rojie said:

I, and a lot of other owners, have discovered that Toyota dealers can be very huffy about imports.

My local dealer is the Snows Group. They have several branches.

I am going for mine this afternoon. See what happens.

I only need my antifreeze concentration testing; but it is a sales opportunity for them to make some sales.

But I will appreciate the peace of mind.

So, I have had my free (Toyota dealer) Pre Winter Inspection. (Toyota For You).

Thinking about how I was invited for such a service; I remembered buying some parts from my local Toyota dealer (Snows) and I bought some parts from Toyota Direct.

I assume this is how Toyota (or Snows) added me to their customer data base. Whatever...

The 30 minute inspection took 90 minutes. This may have been because they had a backlog, or because they were extremely thorough.

This time didn't include the normal wash which I had declined.

When I bought my Alphard I had an AA (maybe it was RAC!) Inspection.

Snows performed a similar inspection. Not at MOT level, nor AA/RAC level, but the documented report included lights, brakes, tyres, wipers, fluids, etc.

After 90 minutes, I was extremely concerned !!!!

My Alphie gained the All Clear, except for one front side light that was out (that I didn't know about).

So, lots of relief, and no charge.

If you are one of the owners whose local dealer is really huffy about grey imports, don't give up.

Try another delaership.

Snows (Group) have several dealerships. I have found their local branch very helpful.

I have no financial interest in Snows (Paignton, or the Group); nor any incentive from them to promote their services.

I value their interest in my Alphie, and they seem to value my custom.

I feel sure there are many other smaller Toyota dealerships that are interested in your business.

Edited by Rojie
Spelling