Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Winter tyres

9 minutes ago, Jason cox said:

OK, so just fitted a set of winter tyres and wheels that came with my Alph. It now feels like a boat!!!

Front snaking under acceleration and feels like it's going to fall over, anyone else encountered this.

Hi Jason,

Please remind us all what machine you have, and what tyres you have on the winter wheels ?

Hi, not sure which brand and make of tyre you have fitted to the wheels, but with winter treads the tyres must be fitted with the rotation marks[ an arrow which is moulded in the wall of the tyre which indicates the rotation of the wheel and tyre], so the nearside tyres/wheels must have the same rotation,the arrows turning anti-clockwise and the arrows on the offside turning clockwise. the tread pattern needs to be turning in the same direction on all 4 wheels otherwise the grip is not evenly balanced and the vehicle will probably handle as you describe. If your winter tyres are all the same it's possible you may have fitted all 4 wheels and tyres on the wrong corners. I am not a tyre expert and have passed on what I was told years ago.

My wifes Connect Van has "Seasonal Tyres" which cover all types of road surface and conditions throughout the year, and the arrow marks on those tyres are fitted as I have described. I have always been told that if I needed to travel on ice and snow, the only sure way is with snow chains.

I have always found that however large the tread pattern is, once the tread is full off ice, you finish up with slicks anyway!

8 hours ago, starider said:

Hi, not sure which brand and make of tyre you have fitted to the wheels, but with winter treads the tyres must be fitted with the rotation marks[ an arrow which is moulded in the wall of the tyre which indicates the rotation of the wheel and tyre], so the nearside tyres/wheels must have the same rotation, the arrows turning anti-clockwise and the arrows on the offside turning clockwise. the tread pattern needs to be turning in the same direction on all 4 wheels otherwise the grip is not evenly balanced and the vehicle will probably handle as you describe. If your winter tyres are all the same it's possible you may have fitted all 4 wheels and tyres on the wrong corners. I am not a tyre expert and have passed on what I was told years ago.

My wife's Connect Van has "Seasonal Tyres" which cover all types of road surface and conditions throughout the year, and the arrow marks on those tyres are fitted as I have described. I have always been told that if I needed to travel on ice and snow, the only sure way is with snow chains.

I have always found that however large the tread pattern is, once the tread is full off ice, you finish up with slicks anyway!

As an aside; over 20 years ago I lived in Denver, Colorado. Many routes were designated as Snow Routes with very restricted parking, similar to London's Red Routes. Parking in the path of snow ploughs could result in your car being literally ploughed off the through road.

Even worse, perhaps, on the main freeway travelling west from Denver, up through the Rockies, there were areas where snow chains were mandatory. You had to stop in all weathers and fit your chains. Failure to do so resulted in you being rescued as you were sure to not make it over the mountain passes. Your car was seized and impounded for 30 days I think it was. Apart from the Wreckers bill, the impound bill you got a massive fine. A very expensive mistake to make.

Jason, as you live in Taunton, in the glorious South West, like myself and Starider, do you really need winter tyres?

Are you fitting them for grip, or to prevent your alloy wheels being attacked by salt corrosion.

Studded tyres can work well in the UK, but are not much use unless on ice and compacted snow.

OK, so it's a 3 ltr 06 mz.

I was running 235/50r18 yokohamas

I now have 205/65r16 dunlop wintermax.

The reason for fitting is work is near Dunkeswell airfield with steep hills and ungritted lanes in and out and its always way colder up there (+ they came with the car).

Now I'm guessing it's just the extra deflection in the tyres that I'm feeling. They are on correctly and balanced, with rotation arrows as should be. 

3 minutes ago, Jason cox said:

OK, so it's a 3 ltr 06 mz.

I was running 235/50r18 yokohamas

I now have 205/65r16 dunlop wintermax.

The reason for fitting is work is near Dunkeswell airfield with steep hills and ungritted lanes in and out and its always way colder up there (+ they came with the car).

Now I'm guessing it's just the extra deflection in the tyres that I'm feeling. They are on correctly and balanced, with rotation arrows as should be. 

Hi Jason,

Yes I know Dunkeswell, it always seems to be quite bleak there !

So the ride should be better with your winter tyres as they are the original size.

I have an MZ, lovely ride. Hopefully you get accustomed to it and become very happy, and safe.