Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Interior light behaviour (rear row map lights) Series 20

Hi, 

When I open the doors or boot on my Series 20, (Vellfire) the map lights for the front and middle row seats come on, but not the rear map lights, they work if you turn them on with the button, but then when you close the doors they stay on while the other lights go out. Is that what are they supposed to do? Now its dark pretty much all the time, I have to use a torch to see what's in the boot.

12 hours ago, MonkeyHunter said:

Hi, 

When I open the doors or boot on my Series 20, (Vellfire) the map lights for the front and middle row seats come on, but not the rear map lights, they work if you turn them on with the button, but then when you close the doors they stay on while the other lights go out. Is that what are they supposed to do? Now its dark pretty much all the time, I have to use a torch to see what's in the boot.

Hello

Welcome to this forum.

This probably doesn't help at all but on the 10 series there is a boot courtesy light on the near side. It is a direct switched feed from the battery (so best not to leave it on.)

I'll try tonight, but I don't think it is linked to the rear hatch. Maybe the Vellfires don't have them.

normal behaviour.

You *CAN* buy led lights that fit into the square plastic covers in the tailgate to provide illumination when opening boot, do a search on ebay/amazon

example https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/LED-Car-Auto-Luggage-Compartment-Lamp_60735592672.html

and

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172175068844

I did come across ones for 20series on ebay, but away from pc at moment

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rojie said:

Hello

Welcome to this forum.

This probably doesn't help at all but on the 10 series there is a boot courtesy light on the near side. It is a direct switched feed from the battery (so best not to leave it on.)

I'll try tonight, but I don't think it is linked to the rear hatch. Maybe the Vellfires don't have them.

I don't think My Vellfire has that. - Will have to have a doublecheck in the morning, normally I am all over everything when I get a new vehicle, but have been busy so a bit scattershot since I got this. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Chris.ac said:

normal behaviour.

You *CAN* buy led lights that fit into the square plastic covers in the tailgate to provide illumination when opening boot, do a search on ebay/amazon

example https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/LED-Car-Auto-Luggage-Compartment-Lamp_60735592672.html

and

Thanks for that, it would be useful where I park, as it is pretty much pitch black, I will check out ones for series 20. If that is normal behaviour, I find it a bit odd, along with the dip stick for washer fluid.... I don't recall ever having owned a car that didn't have a dash light for that.

Maybe it's a Japanese thing as the missus has a Qashqai, it has 360 cameras, lane depart, auto lights, high beam, wipers, and other gadgets, yet it cant tell you when the washer fluid is low. :/

I might just connect them up to the middle lights if that is possible as it seems a bit daft they don't come on at the same time.

• Haha 1

On 12/8/2021 at 12:40 PM, Chris.ac said:

normal behaviour.

and

Thanks for the heads up, I have brought some from aliexpress.

On 12/8/2021 at 12:21 PM, Rojie said:

Hello

Welcome to this forum.

So It turns out I totally missed my boot courtesy light, its on the offside on my Vellfire and not very bright, it is triggered by the boot and turns off when it is shut, as long as it is switched on. It gives me some more wiring to tap into if I need it.  

• 4 months later...
On 12/8/2021 at 10:43 PM, MonkeyHunter said:

Thanks for that, it would be useful where I park, as it is pretty much pitch black, I will check out ones for series 20. If that is normal behaviour, I find it a bit odd, along with the dip stick for washer fluid.... I don't recall ever having owned a car that didn't have a dash light for that.

Maybe it's a Japanese thing as the missus has a Qashqai, it has 360 cameras, lane depart, auto lights, high beam, wipers, and other gadgets, yet it cant tell you when the washer fluid is low. :/

I might just connect them up to the middle lights if that is possible as it seems a bit daft they don't come on at the same time.

Did you ever modify the wiring as above?

If so how do I remove the light fittings to wire the centre and rears in parallel?

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2021 at 11:26 PM, MonkeyHunter said:

Hi, 

Hi. My 2008 Vellfire does that too.

I was wondering if the two rear lights could be connected to the courtesy light on the right of the loading platform behind 3rd row seats? I might try threading a test wire? The switches should still work seperately, as normal, but should also come on when the tailgate is opened.

John Harrison. Wallasey, Wirral.IMG-20220506-WA0000.thumb.jpg.6d66fc96ac6bcd960f4f4d8d8ebdc660.jpg

On 5/1/2022 at 4:35 PM, Jellybean said:

Did you ever modify the wiring as above?

If so how do I remove the light fittings to wire the centre and rears in parallel?

Hi, 

I haven't got around to it yet unfortunately, but its on my (very long)  to-do list. I did buy the additional `tailgate` lights months ago - haven't fitted them yet either! :/

9 minutes ago, John Harrison said:

Hi. My 2008 Vellfire does that too.

I was wondering if the two rear lights could be connected to the courtesy light on the right of the loading platform behind 3rd row seats? I might try threading a test wire? The switches should still work seperately, as normal, but should also come on when the tailgate is opened.

John Harrison. Wallasey, Wirral.IMG-20220506-WA0000.thumb.jpg.6d66fc96ac6bcd960f4f4d8d8ebdc660.jpg

That's a pretty good idea, thanks! I would prefer if though if the kids couldn't mess about with the lights and leave them on.

You could wire them so that they only came on with the tailgate, or if you feel like taking out one 3rd row seat and a side panel off, then thread cables to a dash switch?

The other options are straight jackets or cut their hands off!!!😂

John  Harrison.  WALLASEY, WIRRAL.

24 minutes ago, MonkeyHunter said:

Hi, 

I haven't got around to it yet unfortunately, but its on my (very long)  to-do list. I did buy the additional `tailgate` lights months ago - haven't fitted them yet either! :/

Think we all have one of them???

John Harrison. Wallasey.

3 minutes ago, John Harrison said:

You could wire them so that they only came on with the tailgate, or if you feel like taking out one 3rd row seat and a side panel off, then thread cables to a dash switch?

The other options are straight jackets or cut their hands off!!!😂

John  Harrison.  WALLASEY, WIRRAL.

Has to be straight jackets, as otherwise they'd use thier bloody stumps to do it, and get blood everywhere!  I have had the the rear seats and the middle row out though, rears are a little faffy to reinstall, but not to bad overall.

• Haha 1

Have not got round to fiddling with my 3rd row lights yet. Thinking of wiring in parallel with the mid row lights, although may need a diode.

I have a set of rear door lights, but not yet installed. Not looking forward to the faff of threading cables through the flexible sheathing to the roof area!

2 hours ago, Jellybean said:

Have not got round to fiddling with my 3rd row lights yet. Thinking of wiring in parallel with the mid row lights, although may need a diode.

I have a set of rear door lights, but not yet installed. Not looking forward to the faff of threading cables through the flexible sheathing to the roof area!

Good luck!