Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

rear rotating seats

Al1

Looking to get an Alphard 2007-2011 and wondered if all version 1 and version 2 models have rotating rear seats, we really like the rotating function but have heard some of the second generation models do not turn, any advise would be appreciated.

3 hours ago, Al1 said:

Looking to get an Alphard 2007-2011 and wondered if all version 1 and version 2 models have rotating rear seats, we really like the rotating function but have heard some of the second generation models do not turn, any advise would be appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum.

No they don't.

I am referring to the middle row seats. As far as I know, no rear seats swivel but they do 'swing up' out of the way.

2008 is the crossover year from Gen 1 to Gen 2.

Many of the eight seater Gen 1 have seats that swivel.

The Captains seats (in the seven seater) with the footrests don't.

In the Gen 2, the 'aircraft' type seats (also known as 'first class') do not swivel.

Hopefully you'll get more answers from other owners.

Best bet is to try before you buy.

Good Luck with your purchase.

Thanks Rojie

Yep to clarify I did mean the middle row not the rear seats, really like the 3.5 gen 2 but was hoping one of the models/ trim levels may still had the rotating seats??

Yeah, I read as many japanese catalogues as possible - the 2nd gen do not have swivel seats as an option at all.

Not sure if it was a law/regulation change related to safety ratings, or if it is something to do with the SRS airbag setup in the 2nd gen, which seems more likely.

Infact, as a point of discussion, do camper conversions have the curtain airbags disconnected? as this would seem a bad thing to go off in an accident if they are blocked from correct operation by installed cabinets

Edited by Chris.ac

11 hours ago, Chris.ac said:

Yeah, I read as many japanese catalogues as possible - the 2nd gen do not have swivel seats as an option at all.

Not sure if it was a law/regulation change related to safety ratings, or if it is something to do with the SRS airbag setup in the 2nd gen, which seems more likely.

In fact, as a point of discussion, do camper conversions have the curtain airbags disconnected? as this would seem a bad thing to go off in an accident if they are blocked from correct operation by installed cabinets

Yet another good point.

I'll check my Gen 1 for SRS. I definitely have them in the A pillars.

I have a rear conversion, so shouldn't matter.

• 1 year later...

This is something I am also interested to know. Would I be correct to say that only the Gen-1 8 seater Alphard has the rotating middle seat option?

It seems odd that they stopped this for rules/requirements as I think (but could be wrong here) that the Elgrand continued to offer this well option after 2008 (?)

I wanted a Gen 2 Alphard but honestly this is probably a deal breaker for me, I just love that option. 

On 6/25/2023 at 12:33 AM, sumogogg said:

This is something I am also interested to know. Would I be correct to say that only the Gen-1 8 seater Alphard has the rotating middle seat option?

It seems odd that they stopped this for rules/requirements as I think (but could be wrong here) that the Elgrand continued to offer this well option after 2008 (?)

I wanted a Gen 2 Alphard but honestly this is probably a deal breaker for me, I just love that option. 

Hi Andy,

I believe I have read reference to a Gen 1 facelift fitted with Captains seats (a 7 seater) that rotate.

These are not the foot rest version of the seats.

However, I have never seen any of these seats, so either they are very rare, or don't exist.

• Thanks 1