Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

vehicle weight/Customising

Just a thought about customising your vehicle these days,  reason I mention this cause since I had a difibitor fitted in my chest I can no longer drive any vehicle that weights over 3.5ton or a gross train weight of the same, with this in mind I weighed our alphie' at the weight station and it came out at just under 2200, our caravan partially loaded is over 1700 so that would be a problem for me, one issue I found when I used to own and drive motorhomes was the general ignorance of motorhome owners favourite topic was the total lack of understanding of tyre pressures and loads effect the vehicles handling

With regard to pop-tops if one intends to use campsite facilities, the smart way these days is to purchase a decent inflatable awning, more room less money!

2 hours ago, ThuMentaliss said:

Just a thought about customising your vehicle these days,  reason I mention this cause since I had a defibrillator fitted in my chest I can no longer drive any vehicle that weights over 3.5ton or a gross train weight of the same, with this in mind I weighed our alphie' at the weight station and it came out at just under 2200, our caravan partially loaded is over 1700 so that would be a problem for me, one issue I found when I used to own and drive motorhomes was the general ignorance of motorhome owners favourite topic was the total lack of understanding of tyre pressures and loads effect the vehicles handling

With regard to pop-tops if one intends to use campsite facilities, the smart way these days is to purchase a decent inflatable awning, more room less money!

As you attain the grand young age of 70, you automatically lose your right (qualification) to drive any vehicle of 3500kg or more.

This weight limit is gross weight , so includes anything in your vehicle, anything that you are towing, and anything in your towed vehicle.

If you wish, or need to, retain your right (and this right depends on when you passed your driving test) you can.

There can be some bureaucratic hoops to jump through, including a doctors note re your overall health.

If you let your right lapse, I believe you can take an official test to regain your licence to drive higher weight vehicles.

If in doubt how this might effect you, please refer to the DVLA website.

As you approach 70 you will receive a notice from the DVLA to explain tis. Don't ignore it.

Thanks Rojie but you're preaching the obvious to someone who's got the heart valve who's got the deffib' who lives on pills to keep me alive and who fault the medical assessment management and the DVLA for over a year to have my issue reconsidered,  have you actually been through all this?? 

'If you let your right lapse, I believe you can take an official test to regain your licence to drive higher weight vehicles'.  I agree, but you have to declare any medical conditions that could affect your driving behaver

The DVLA has no jurisdiction over medical conditions, ......once you a have a defibitor fitted into your chest you cannot apply for any licence for driving any vehicle over 3.5 ton

2 hours ago, ThuMentaliss said:

Thanks Rojie but you're preaching the obvious to someone who's got the heart valve who's got the deffib' who lives on pills to keep me alive and who fault the medical assessment management and the DVLA for over a year to have my issue reconsidered,  have you actually been through all this?? 

'If you let your right lapse, I believe you can take an official test to regain your licence to drive higher weight vehicles'.  I agree, but you have to declare any medical conditions that could affect your driving behaver

The DVLA has no jurisdiction over medical conditions, ......once you a have a defibitor fitted into your chest you cannot apply for any licence for driving any vehicle over 3.5 ton

Hi,

No. I have not been 'through all this'. But I know someone that allowed their licence to lapse and were surprised to learn they had to take the test again; the enhanced version!

Sorry if you thought I was preaching to you.

I was merely trying to raise awareness for other members approaching 70 years young to be careful.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the helpful post @TheMenentalis. I have had awning clips attached to my alphard. What awning rail and tent would you recommend getting for maximising space? 

That must be frustrating losing your over 3.5 tonne entitlement. Good that you are thinking creatively to keep having fun camping.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2022 at 7:22 AM, Jezmond said:

Thanks for the helpful post @TheMenentalis. I have had awning clips attached to my alphard. What awning rail and tent would you recommend getting for maximising space? 

That must be frustrating losing your over 3.5 tonne entitlement. Good that you are thinking creatively to keep having fun camping.

(Very sorry I missed your post)  4 motorhomes and two caravans later its been quite an experience but knowing what I know now I would go back to a motor home. I don't know what you're referring to regarding awning clips.  I'm not aware that there are any clips recommended for the alphard ? as the reality is nothing is recommend for Alphard regarding the tent, are you looking for drive away or a Tent?  Drive- away if your temperament can cope with having to line your Alphard to the drive- away tent after coming back from wherever, We used a self- inflate drive away when we had the VW......Can't really advise what make to purchase, as there are so many reasons of what you are looking for ..my advice is don't by cheap