Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

AYH30W - 2015 Hybrid e-Four Executive Lounge - servicing and firmware (not head unit firmware)

r00ki3

G'day from Australia,

I've got a 2015 Hybrid e-Four, 22000kms. It's about to get the first service outside of Japan (that I know of).

I'm thinking that the e-Four and other computer systems may have a firmware update available, have you got experience getting firmware updates (not head unit, that's sorted) from Toyota service centres or others? Unfortunately in Australia firmware is often overlooked as the service staff are in a rush or it's too hard. Even getting codes pulled can be like pulling teeth: we tend to get a "yeah-nah, codes and firmware are all good" and they just hold some buttons down to clear off an engine light. Ignorance of software/firmware is still the norm.

Also the Nanoe water micro-droplet based air filter, does this need servicing? I can't find much information about it: it's a Panasonic technology, it's pretty great but does it need to have a filter/part replaced and where does it get the water from?

Any tips/anecdotes from your servicing would be greatly appreciated.

image2.png

15 hours ago, r00ki3 said:

G'day from Australia,

I've got a 2015 Hybrid e-Four, 22000kms. It's about to get the first service outside of Japan (that I know of).

I'm thinking that the e-Four and other computer systems may have a firmware update available, have you got experience getting firmware updates (not head unit, that's sorted) from Toyota service centres or others? Unfortunately in Australia firmware is often overlooked as the service staff are in a rush or it's too hard. Even getting codes pulled can be like pulling teeth: we tend to get a "yeah-nah, codes and firmware are all good" and they just hold some buttons down to clear off an engine light. Ignorance of software/firmware is still the norm.

Also the Nanoe water micro-droplet based air filter, does this need servicing? I can't find much information about it: it's a Panasonic technology, it's pretty great but does it need to have a filter/part replaced and where does it get the water from?

Any tips/anecdotes from your servicing would be greatly appreciated.

image2.png

G'day,

Welcome to the Forum.

You pose a very interesting question, for which I have no answer.

I'll be very interested in the replies you receive.

I can say that here in Blighty many Toyota dealers won't work on grey imports.

To date, Alphards and Vellfires have not been officially imported into the UK; hence the dealership attitude.

However some, such as mine, will.

I will ask them if they have access to these firmware updates you refer to.

My guess is they won't. 

There is Toyota software available, Techstream, that Toyota dealers use.

Whether that contains these firmware updates, or not, needs further investigation.

Techstream is available, on line, and can be downloaded.

Techstream will communicate with the 30 series, its a standard tool on newer Alphards (2008 onwards) as well as most JDM Toyotas since around 2006

You would be well advised to just buy the connection lead/adaptor and a copy of techstream from ebay, should be under $50 AUS.

I can even provide a link to the software pre-setup in a virtual machine, so no faffin about with drivers and software install/registration/compatibility with newer versions of Windows OS.

In this way, even if you are not comfortable with diagnosis, you can bring a laptop with you to the service technician and show the status with a tool that actually works

Edited by Chris.ac