Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Reversing camera

28 minutes ago, mulkh balu said:

Thanks for the assist, don't  fancy laying out £1000 if a new one isn't  going to be any better.

I just bought one for £40. However it is being wired back to a new radio unit. Whatever you do shouldn't cost £1000...

• 4 months later...
On 2/9/2022 at 10:46 PM, mulkh balu said:

This was quoted by cartronics on top of £3000 to fit a new multi nav system. Lot of money!

Just come across this and had to laugh. I have just picked up a Vellfire with an aftermarket Sony unit. It has an option for the reversing camera but it is not working, so I am guessing it is disconnected. Probably my a standard fit.

I will be changing it for a full android system that has the works and hopefully the person who fitted the Sony has not massacred the wiring. Hopefully it should be plug and play with camera working. If not they do a reversing camera added, but would have to install that.

Full price of the system on under £300 on Aliexpress for a top of the range model with 4G/Wifi, option for 360 camera's. 6g Ram and 128gb of storage. Gonna fit it myself but just run for about £100, so if someone is charging £3000, then stay well clear.

If you want a more basic model and want to use ebay. A bloke sells the for £280 with £50 for install and will make sure everything works.

On 2/9/2022 at 10:46 PM, mulkh balu said:

This was quoted by cartronics on top of £3000 to fit a new multi nav system. Lot of money!

Clearly, they don't want your business.

£3000? FFS.

No no no no nope.

please do not spend that amount of money, there are alphard specific systems you can buy for under £600, most plug and play.

The only issue with most is non compatible with existing cameras, but of you only have a rear camera, then it is much cheaper to buy a 360degree system kit and this will feed into wherever head unit you fit, there are even 'tesla' style headunits for under £ 500.

Some interesting comments here so I will follow with interest.

I have a Ben Hau system installed and it's not bad, working via Android Auto. Worst thing is it randomly drops out then usually but not always reconnects. 2nd worst thing is the screen resolution. I know my bus is 2008, but am sure my VW n Skodas from that era had far better screens. 

I have looked at Android, Tesla style screens and they look impressive. The question is how reliable? I read on another forum that an owner installed a Tesla style screen, but retained the standard climate control panel, just in case the head unit packed up! This was something I had not considered before.

Showing my naievity now, but surely its about time we could install a standard tablet and connect to a box of tricks?

7 hours ago, Chris.ac said:

£3000? FFS.

No no no no nope.

please do not spend that amount of money, there are alphard specific systems you can buy for under £600, most plug and play.

The only issue with most is non compatible with existing cameras, but of you only have a rear camera, then it is much cheaper to buy a 360degree system kit and this will feed into wherever head unit you fit, there are even 'tesla' style headunits for under £ 500.

😂rip off 

about £350.

From what I have seen on Facebook groups.

You can buy something similar (if not identical) yourself and install for under £200.

His price is not unreasonable, 

38 minutes ago, Teekay said:

Anyone knows how much benhau charges for car play on gen 2? Roughly? I suppose it is not business confidential 

As Chris says, his price  isn't unreasonable.

As soon as you remove the head unit you will think it is an absolute Bargain !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Chris.ac said:

about £350.

From what I have seen on Facebook groups.

You can buy something similar (if not identical) yourself and install for under £200.

His price is not unreasonable, 

It was more for awareness that I asked. Thankyou

I'm not inclined to do it myself at all. It is long drive to Birmingham that is not very attractive. I was thinking if he can do few bits in one go like say speedometer update, may be DRLs wiring, it might be worth the effort. Still exploring.