Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Hello Alpharders.

I want an Alphard camper but first I have 2 questions.

1. where can I get spec details for Alphards? I’ll probably go for a series 1 up to 2006 to get the lower road tax but the are certain toys I definitely want such as cruise control, rear camera (hate those add on mirrors) and auto close rear hatch for example. We’re these available as options or on different spec levels?

2. for those of you who have campers already, did you buy them completed or buy the car then get it converted yourselves? There seem to be a lot of companies doing it. I want a side pod with larger bed and pop top.

Thanks in anticipation of your comments.

J

5 hours ago, Jonathank said:

Hello Alpharders.

I want an Alphard camper but first I have 2 questions.

1. where can I get spec details for Alphards? I’ll probably go for a series 1 up to 2006 to get the lower road tax but the are certain toys I definitely want such as cruise control, rear camera (hate those add on mirrors) and auto close rear hatch for example. We’re these available as options or on different spec levels?

2. for those of you who have campers already, did you buy them completed or buy the car then get it converted yourselves? There seem to be a lot of companies doing it. I want a side pod with larger bed and pop top.

Thanks in anticipation of your comments.

J

Hi J,

Welcome to the Forum.

2) I bought a vehicle, then had it converted.

VAT is chargeable from most dealers on the purchase, and convertors on the conversion.

Buying ready converted can be expensive; but finding a convertor, to meet your needs, locality, budget, quality and timescale can be challenging.

The main advantage of buying converted is "WISIWIG". No decision other than to Buy or Not to Buy; and the transaction / acquisition is (almost) instant.

Getting a conversion can be lengthy. Survey the market. Make decision, Buy vehicle, Place order / deposit and wait (for what can be a lengthy) leadtime.

Transition between Gen 1 and Gen 1 facelift was 2005.

Referring to the 3L, the facelift came with a 5 speed auto gearbox

1) There is an excellent info sheet, somewhere, (I forget where) that explains all (or most) of the options. However.....

It really depends on your budget.

If you are expecting to buy a 2005 to 2008, Gen1 facelift model, these are not rare, or unaffordable.

Your choices are:

Ready converted, or base vehicle.

If you go for base vehicle you have much more choice, imho, and you can get the conversion to meet your requirements.

A pop top, alone, is likely to cost at least £3000.

Back to your question. There is a document / website that lists all the options. Shame I cannot remember it !!!.

Somewhere on the vast Toyota website.

I'll find it for you.

In the meantime, get on Autotrader (you don't have to buy from there) and review what machines are available).

Consider, engine size, colour of exterior, colour of interior, essential bells and whistles, etc.

Many have rear cameras, they are very useful, but the screen resolution is quire low.

Even the 'lower' 'specced' Alphies (especially for the year) are usually quite highly specified.

I'll add a link to the Toyota data as soon as I can refind it !

Good Luck, and Happy Hunting.

Ps. On the older vehicles (mine is 2006) consider an AA or RAC pre purchase report (£300).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rojie said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Alphard

Is some info posted by ColinH some time ago (but not what I was thinking of !).

There is a comprehensive options list. I'll keep looking !

https://www.toyota-global.com/company/history_of_toyota/75years/vehicle_lineage/car/id60000198/index.html

and click on Catalog