Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Power Steering has failed

Hi everyone,

So yesterday when my wife was coming home after sitting in some local traffic for over an hour, she finally made it home.  Reversed into the drive and the steering became very heavy.  I have looked this morning and the power steering fluid is empty.  Can I buy and top up?  I am not a mechanic but working in engineering.  Are there Alphard specific failures I should know about maybe pipes or leaks that are common to the Alphard.  Any advice would be welcome.   Andy

28 minutes ago, AndyJThompson said:

Hi everyone,

So yesterday when my wife was coming home after sitting in some local traffic for over an hour, she finally made it home.  Reversed into the drive and the steering became very heavy.  I have looked this morning and the power steering fluid is empty.  Can I buy and top up?  I am not a mechanic but working in engineering.  Are there Alphard specific failures I should know about maybe pipes or leaks that are common to the Alphard.  Any advice would be welcome.   Andy

Hi Andy,

Toyota Power Steering Fluid is what the owners manual states. No specs i'm afraid !

Perhaps from Toyota Direct if you are not close to your 'local' dealership

57 minutes ago, AndyJThompson said:

Ok thanks,  why would the reservoir be totally empty.  Fair enough I could have a leak.  Over time would I expect to loose fluid?

Hi Andy,

I don't know why it would leak. Is it a high mileage vehicle ?

I am not aware of a common fault like this, but, to be honest, I wouldn't be.

When did you last check your fluids ?

From the sudden effect your wife experienced is seems something burst, not leaked.

Some Toyota Dealers will work on Alphards, many won't.

You may need a competent garage to take a look underneath at the piping etc.

When was your last MOT, because leaks and steering issues would be noted, for sure.

I don't have a maintenance manual yet, we are hoping for one this year, so I don't even know how the steering pump is powered.

It may help you to understand the steering system parts, if you can read mechanical drawings, by looking at the ToyotaAlphardEPC.com.

I'll take a look myself. Yes, it's pulley driven.

Take at look at the EPC, it should help you understand the 'geography and assembles that constitute the power steering system.

BfN

I drove it Thursday and all was fine in fact I was thinking it was exceptionally light.  It had its last MOT last month.

I will get some fluid and fill it up.  I have see a video of someone putting fluid in seems easy enough.  If we get more problems I will take it to a garage.  

2 minutes ago, AndyJThompson said:

I drove it Thursday and all was fine in fact I was thinking it was exceptionally light.  It had its last MOT last month.

I will get some fluid and fill it up.  I have see a video of someone putting fluid in seems easy enough.  If we get more problems I will take it to a garage.  

It may help if your wife adds some fluid (get more then you need) while you check for leaks underneath.

Run the car up a curb and lie in the gutter !

Capacity is 1.0 Litre.

Good Luck

• Like 1

If topping up from empty jack front up both wheels of ground topfluid up and at same time get some one to turn steering wheel from 10 o'clock till 2 o'clock backwards and forwards this will stop you blowing the seals in the rack if you turn full lock each time you will blow all seals in rack the steering rack pump is driven by a belt. The weakest seal and I guess this is what has gone is the inner tie rod seal which is where the steering rack gaiter is .

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AndyJThompson said:

Thanks for your responses.  I keep getting asked if the fluid is red or green.  As my reservoir is totally  empty I do not know.  Could any one help?

https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/power-steering-fluid-colour-wtf.145943/#:~:text=Power steering fluid can either, are the hardest to locate.

Red or pink !

I read (sorry for the pun) up on this and apparently Toyotas are not too fussy about the fluid. BUT what I read may not have been referring to an Alphie.

I'll see what Toyota Direct has available for you.

2 minutes ago, Rojie said:

https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/power-steering-fluid-colour-wtf.145943/#:~:text=Power steering fluid can either, are the hardest to locate.

Red or pink !

I read (sorry for the pun) up on this and apparently Toyotas are not too fussy about the fluid. BUT what I read may not have been referring to an Alphie.

I'll see what Toyota Direct has available for you.

Toyota part number – 08886-81210 £16.00 for a litre.

I think it is the same as ATF, auto transmission fluid, but do check before using as I may be wrong.

36 minutes ago, Picasso said:

the fluid is red to be honest before putting more fluid in i would get the rack tested and rebuilt as i do believe you have a seal blown 

Hi Picasso,

Do you have a suggestion where Andy could get this work done ?

Thanks in advance

there is a company in coventry my home town where i buy all my alphard bits they also own a steering rack company i have asked for you they have a rack on the shelf fully rebuilt and tested 12 months warranty they do a exchange service 

I have took the van in to out local garage they are never very keen when they see me turn up as it’s an import.  Thank you Picasso for looking into this for me.  How much would a steering rack cost me an estimate would do.  Would a local garage install do you think is we provided parts.

I  went to look at a Alphard in Norwich a good Alphard dealer company name  Andy'S imports i think if you googled him i bet he would do the replacement rack for you or know some one who would replace it. the rack to buy is £342.00 but you get £150.00 back when you send your old core back which they arrange free collection of . i only buy parts from these guys as they are local to me and always give me good advice its the reason why i bought the Alphard. 

Hi everyone,  a quick update.  We have our Alphy back.  Turns out it was a split pipe that needed replacement so not a major job after all.  Best part is it’s now back on the road before tomorrows get away for the weekend.  Thanks to all the posts and help. Really is great that these forums exist.