Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

LPG conversion

Hello,

Picked up our camper last week (2.4l petrol) and looking to get an LPG fuel conversion to make it more cost effective to use everyday.

What’s everyone’s experience?

Will it save me money?

Thanks in advance

Hi KentFam,
We converted our 3.0l Alphard campervan to LPG (Prins system) about 3 years ago. LPG has generally been around half-price compared to petrol, though I think the fuel efficiency is a bit less, so probably averages out around 60% of the cost of petrol journeys. Whether it's worthwhile financially depends on your anticipated mileage, but there's also the environmental advantage (67% CO2, 37% CO, 18%NO, 60% HC, 50% particulates compared to petrol....). Our system starts on petrol, changing over to LPG when the engine warms. So the petrol tank is retained (kept 1/4 full because the fuel pump still operates and needs fuel for lubrication), but this also serves as a useful backup. Also, added a Gaslow bottle for cooking, tee'd from the LPG filler, which is cheaper than Calor/Camping Gaz in the long run (but you may have to cook a lot!). Overall, it was a good move environmentally, but our original plans to travel more in Europe have been restricted since conversion, for obvious reasons, so it's going to take a lot longer to make it worthwhile financially.... We've had no difficulty finding LPG on our travels, though it needs planning ahead. We also tend to check what the app says, because they're not always up to date. We've used https://www.mylpg.eu/stations/united-kingdom/#map and https://www.autogas.app/
Regards,
pcous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much both, your replies are reassuring! I have the LPG conversion booked for Wednesday. We’re using the van as our main day to day car so hopefully see a return on investment before too long. With the crazy prices right now it may not be a bad thing.

12 hours ago, KentFam said:

Thanks so much both, your replies are reassuring! I have the LPG conversion booked for Wednesday. We’re using the van as our main day to day car so hopefully see a return on investment before too long. With the crazy prices right now it may not be a bad thing.

Can I ask where is your nearest LPG Supplier as I live in West Sussex and the nearest supplier to us was nearly twenty miles away, I owned a motor home which I converted to Gaslow  the worst thing I ever did...

• 1 month later...

Ok… LPG fitted a month ago (£1600) and now costs max of £50 to fill up (and smugly getting fuel easily while others are queuing). I use the van as my day-to-day so really helping with the weekly budget. No difference in power. Love it.

I hope this is useful to anybody thinking of converting to LPG. I have a 2004 G 3.0 V6 converted as a campervan & have been running on LPG for about 3 years. LPG conversion cost £1600 all in using a Zavoli system. It took the guy a while to get it tuned to perfection and it sings along, very smooth running & absolutely no loss of power. I get an average of 4 miles to the litre on LPG & 6 miles to the litre on super unleaded. The tank is 50L mounted in the spare wheel well. I usually get between 40-46 litres depending on ambient temperature. The most I've filled is just over 48L on a really cold day. I'l get a range 170-180 miles of mixed driving but on a long run with constant cruising at a steady speed at around 2500 revs the most I've managed is around 140 miles. The price of LPG has rocketed, when I first started it was around 52p, it's now 91p. The general availability of LPG has reduced in recent years, so a long journey requires planning. I can recommend 2 apps, FilLPG & AutogasApp. They both rely on user input for updating & are pretty consistent. One thing I would do diferently next time is have a 120 litre tank installed prior to camper conversion, or if keeping as an suv behind the rear seats. Ths would mean being able to fill with approx 100L giving a potential range of over 400 miles.

• 10 months later...
On 4/15/2022 at 11:04 AM, Gag Halfrunt said:

@ThuMentaliss  If you're still looking for LPG filling in West Sussex, I often visit Chichester & fill up with LPG at Morrisons Littlehampton. Hope that helps.

Yes  I'm aware where the station is 20 miles from us ...not practical