Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Vellfire thermal window blinds

Yet another potentially stupid question. Looking for thermal blinds, when searching seems that most of the search returns are Alphard, can someone please confirm if the window configuration is the same on both vehicles?

2 hours ago, Oddcouple said:

Yet another potentially stupid question. Looking for thermal blinds, when searching seems that most of the search returns are Alphard, can someone please confirm if the window configuration is the same on both vehicles?

Yes.

For the same model year.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2022 at 7:13 AM, Oddcouple said:

Look into llumar 3M solar films too / ceramic Tint. Makes huge difference and can be professionally applied to front windscreen too 

6 hours ago, Teekay said:

Look into llumar 3M solar films too / ceramic Tint. Makes huge difference and can be professionally applied to front windscreen too 

The tint we have in the back is pretty much total blackout, decide to let Northstar sort the curtains and front wrap out as part of the conversion. I’m not one for excitement, but it’s starting to rise, 3 weeks to go before she goes in!

3 hours ago, Oddcouple said:

The tint we have in the back is pretty much total blackout, decide to let Northstar sort the curtains and front wrap out as part of the conversion. I’m not one for excitement, but it’s starting to rise, 3 weeks to go before she goes in!

Llumar can be blocking sun without the tint. Perfect for front windscreen and windows 

13 hours ago, Teekay said:

Llumar can be blocking sun without the tint. Perfect for front windscreen and windows 

Do you mean dimming the light that passes through the windscreen, or blocking the UV.

Many windscreens nowadays are laminated, as is mine in the Alphie.

Vehicular laminated glass often has an invisible plastic film that blocks most of the UV anyway.

If you start tinting windscreens or front door door windows, you will probably attract a lot of attention from the police

29 minutes ago, Rojie said:

Do you mean dimming the light that passes through the windscreen, or blocking the UV.

Many windscreens nowadays are laminated, as is mine in the Alphie.

Vehicular laminated glass often has an invisible plastic film that blocks most of the UV anyway.

If you start tinting windscreens or front door door windows, you will probably attract a lot of attention from the police

There are many elements to this discussion 

1. Films these days have many different materials with usp and negative example metal blocks mobile signal, colour changing, chameleon, heat blocking, fading many more.. Llumar 3M do terrific job but there are probably 10 times more options 
2. Light uv and IR components are differently handled by specific applications, trick is knowing what is needed and right value for money 
3. Ceramic Tint can even be transparent and still block the heat massively!
4. 75% VLT is road legal in UK on front windscreen but personally I'll go for only clear  ceramic in front and 80% front windows 

More than uv it is the IR that is killer in hot sunny days 

I feel to save fuel and go green, ceramic Tint should be given subsidies by gov. It is no brainer if 25 quid can save hundreds in fuel over its lifetime

9 hours ago, Teekay said:

There are many elements to this discussion 

1. Films these days have many different materials with usp and negative example metal blocks mobile signal, colour changing, chameleon, heat blocking, fading many more.. Llumar 3M do terrific job but there are probably 10 times more options 
2. Light uv and IR components are differently handled by specific applications, trick is knowing what is needed and right value for money 
3. Ceramic Tint can even be transparent and still block the heat massively!
4. 75% VLT is road legal in UK on front windscreen but personally I'll go for only clear  ceramic in front and 80% front windows 

More than uv it is the IR that is killer in hot sunny days 

I feel to save fuel and go green, ceramic Tint should be given subsidies by gov. It is no brainer if 25 quid can save hundreds in fuel over its lifetime

Sorry, but I am being really thick here.

How does window tint save fuel ? Less use of AC ?

1 minute ago, Rojie said:

Sorry, but I am being really thick here.

How does window tint save fuel ? Less use of AC ?

You are right, Ceramic Tint cutout heat so dramatically that aircon will reduce its working by may be 70%(that is my guesstimate from all I've read so far). It's fascinating that such technology exists but is not widely available / advertised.

My only concern is if front windscreen application can distort glare or anything.

• 2 months later...
35 minutes ago, John and Linda Williams said:

Is the window configeration the same on 2008 & 2009 Alphard/Vellfire?

As the only ones I can find are up to 2008

Hello John and Linda,

2008 was a changeover year.

The former series were known as the 10 series, and the later as the 20 series.

The model number, which is on the passenger side B pillar, will distinguish which.

3 hours ago, John and Linda Williams said:

Thanks, have to keep looking then, or make a template to get them made up

They may be the same, I'd be very surprised if they are not available for the 2008 to 2015 (20 series) version.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a full set of curtains but Im also looking into thermal window blinds (2006 Alphard) Full set on Ebay/Amazon etc for around£136. Has anyone used these type of blinds? Are they a decent fit with no gaps etc? Are they reversible? Do they lessen the amount of condensation?

Many thanks

Russ