Jump to content

Fixing of Awnings


Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Darren Eyles said:

Can anyone who has fixed an awning to there van please share with me

We’ll be testing a magnetic drive away at the weekend so will update. A couple have already used them. Also seems some are squeezing an awning strip on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Pritch said:

We had an awning strip fitted when we got it converted, and is 230cm length, works a treat and sits inside the pop top.

A photo of the exact fitting point would be great if you can. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, OldWellhouse said:

A photo of the exact fitting point would be great if you can. 

Were away in it tomorrow, so when I pop the roof, I'll take a photo & post up here ok....bear with.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/13/2022 at 2:39 PM, Pritch said:

Thanks Pitch, that looks the business. I think your roof cover may be a bit wider than mine looking at that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Now there lies a tale......

We order (prior to build) the 260 length awning they said they could fit to the van & paid accordingly.

 

Once we got home we realised the awning was just 180cm, wont go into details of the arguments we had, but they agreed to fit the max length they could, that would stay inside the pop top once closed which was 131 cm...better.

 

Sorry long answer to simple question, but yes it is, it has an extra 51cm extension added to fit.

 

HTH

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Pritch said:

Now there lies a tale......

We order (prior to build) the 260 length awning they said they could fit to the van & paid accordingly.

 

Once we got home we realised the awning was just 180cm, wont go into details of the arguments we had, but they agreed to fit the max length they could, that would stay inside the pop top once closed which was 131 cm...better.

 

Sorry long answer to simple question, but yes it is, it has an extra 51cm extension added to fit.

 

HTH

Is 2.4m the max length that'll fit? I have my eye on the Reimo Palm Beach sunshade that seems to be 2.6m wide. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2.3 is pretty much the max length you will get on the roof, as it starts dropping away towards the front after that.

I have had 2.6 w Awnings on the rail, obvs with an overhang each side, but holds it pretty well.

We bought the Vango Faros II Air, as the attachment strip is 2.4 w, so easy fits, but only with a small overhang.

We tend to attach the storm strap to the front end over the front behind the spoiler, and peg on drivers side, this just holds up the overhang, but it works a treat (see pic).

 

HTH

 

Gt Budworth.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I've just offered up 2 x 1.2m C rails to the van to get my head round how I'll fasten it. The rubber trim that runs the length of the van roof is the perfect width to take the rail and it just pops in and out easily. I'm think about seeing if I can put some cuts in the awning rail to allow me to bend it to the shape of the roof where needed, then screw it to the black rubber trim and put that back in with added blobs of high strength adhesive of some kind. I think with it being laterally secure in the roof channel it would hold well with the added 'glue'.

Anyone got any tips they can share or a better idea where to fix?

IMG_6213.thumb.JPG.47ab5c6b7b732dc72d852db62e36a34d.JPGIMG_6212.thumb.JPG.4429a5666a703de2f494f7b9b5257d9e.JPGIMG_6211.thumb.JPG.62f80dae5ee60b2c792a15f436767953.JPGIMG_6210.thumb.JPG.a18f508f0b9cc437a5ed9d73c44dec01.JPGIMG_6209.thumb.JPG.f9bb7a5d3008466cdbf88f478b2b9a5a.JPGIMG_6208.thumb.JPG.462b254dcddab3407e913f79293ea775.JPGIMG_6207.thumb.JPG.9859ee41e4fca423672177aa0eddc3d3.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Looks great, my only question is if your fitting to the rubber strip, its obvs there for a reason, so by covering it up will this not affect something else, water run off ?

Most people I have sen/heard tend to suggest Silkaflex Glue and galvanised (wont rust) screws, and affix to the bodywork (like mine) but so its sits inside, the pop top when closed.

Personally, I would get an expert to fit it, but thats just me.

Good luck

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Pritch said:

Looks great, my only question is if your fitting to the rubber strip, its obvs there for a reason, so by covering it up will this not affect something else, water run off ?

Most people I have sen/heard tend to suggest Silkaflex Glue and galvanised (wont rust) screws, and affix to the bodywork (like mine) but so its sits inside, the pop top when closed.

Personally, I would get an expert to fit it, but thats just me.

Good luck

It's a good question as to the purpose of the channel and rubber infill. I assumed there is a weld under it and it hides that join but not sure. I thought sika flex across the entire length of the channel insert would hold that pretty firm, but I'm not so sure the screws would hold well in just the rubber. Maybe need to use small bolts or rivets. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.