Jump to content

Year of manufacture VS year of registration


Recommended Posts

Guys I'm buying Alphard that was registered in 2011 but when looked at detail year of manufacture is 2008! It's that normal? Where was the car for so long after manufacture? Its gen 2 Alphard, so is it best to avoid the first year is manufactured and look at later years? Any friendly advice will be much appreciated. TIA 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seems like car was manufactured when credit crunch hit the economy in 2008. Car might have been left unsold for couple of years. Can that add to aging of pipes / plastics? It's not possible to check year of manufacture when buying in Japan but only year of registration. 😑

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Teekay said:

Guys I'm buying Alphard that was registered in 2011 but when looked at detail year of manufacture is 2008! It's that normal? Where was the car for so long after manufacture? Its gen 2 Alphard, so is it best to avoid the first year is manufactured and look at later years? Any friendly advice will be much appreciated. TIA 👍

 

The car will be registered in the UK with a plate suitable for the year it was manufactured.

 

If you look at some adverts in the UK, I won't say who or where, the year in the headline will be the year the car was imported and first registered in the UK; which is quite legal but can be somewhat misleading!

 

If you are buying the in the UK, the more 'accurate' description will be the year of manufacture.

 

Imho, it is the condition, and mileage, that is of most concern.

Yours is Gen 2 and will have a  speed gearbox if you have the V6. (Not sure about the 4 cylinder).

 

I doubt your van has been 'sitting'  idle somewhere for 3 years.

 

Get a copy of the Auction sheet before you start worrying.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Rojie said:

 

The car will be registered in the UK with a plate suitable for the year it was manufactured.

 

If you look at some adverts in the UK, I won't say who or where, the year in the headline will be the year the car was imported and first registered in the UK; which is quite legal but can be somewhat misleading!

 

If you are buying the in the UK, the more 'accurate' description will be the year of manufacture.

 

Imho, it is the condition, and mileage, that is of most concern.

Yours is Gen 2 and will have a  speed gearbox if you have the V6. (Not sure about the 4 cylinder).

 

I doubt your van has been 'sitting'  idle somewhere for 3 years.

 

Get a copy of the Auction sheet before you start worrying.

So I have got the auction sheet and details

Registration is 2011 June as per auction sheet 

Model is DBA-GGH20W-PFTQK (=2008)

AUCTION RATING 3.5 / B B

KMS 98000 (=61000 Miles)

Gearbox is U660E = 6 speed automatic 

Engine 2GR-FE 3.5L v6 

Trim LA01 

Option R***

 

So it looks like it is sitting from 2008 to mid 2011?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Teekay said:

So I have got the auction sheet and details

Registration is 2011 June as per auction sheet 

Model is DBA-GGH20W-PFTQK (=2008)

AUCTION RATING 3.5 / B B

KMS 98000 (=61000 Miles)

Gearbox is U660E = 6 speed automatic 

Engine 2GR-FE 3.5L v6 

Trim LA01 

Option R***

 

So it looks like it is sitting from 2008 to mid 2011?!

 

I am getting confused.

You may be correct but, imho, almost certainly not.

 

What makes you think that DBA-GGH20W-PFTQK makes it 2008 ?

That is the model descriptor.

What is your VIN number (it will be on the auction sheet).

 

I'll check the epc, but I expect we are comparing apples with oranges.

 

According to my interpretation of the epc, your model was made 

04.2008 - 10.2011
Edited by Rojie
Addition
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Rojie said:

 

I am getting confused.

You may be correct but, imho, almost certainly not.

 

What makes you think that DBA-GGH20W-PFTQK makes it 2008 ?

That is the model descriptor.

What is your VIN number (it will be on the auction sheet).

 

I'll check the epc, but I expect we are comparing apples with oranges.

Exporter has confirmed the manufacturing year is 2008 and looking at model code from picture and link suggested same 

https://www.carfolio.com/toyota-alphard-350g-177859

 

I'm also confused..I was delighted at thought of buying 2011 Alphard v6 with 60k Miles but now considering if it is right. It's 350G L package..

 

It also has an interesting step on the passenger side. Lovely for my parents / kids. Please see pic 

0C6E0F26-5142-4BCE-98FC-1E8858651571.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

By the way what is this P))))) button?

 

Automatic parking? Radar?

 

Bit untidy car but I'm hoping valeting should fix it..

2C5F41FF-33CD-457F-B3D7-1A38C32630D1.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Teekay said:

Exporter has confirmed the manufacturing year is 2008 and looking at model code from picture and link suggested same 

https://www.carfolio.com/toyota-alphard-350g-177859

 

I'm also confused..I was delighted at thought of buying 2011 Alphard v6 with 60k Miles but now considering if it is right. It's 350G L package..

 

It also has an interesting step on the passenger side. Lovely for my parents / kids. Please see pic 

0C6E0F26-5142-4BCE-98FC-1E8858651571.jpeg

 

I still think you have a 2011 year.

The model was introduced as a Gen 2 in 2008 and discontinued in 2011.

An updated model was introduced in 2011 and discontinued in 2015.

 

I tried the link, but didn't see anything that stated it is a 2008 vehicle, only information that suggested it was introduced in 2008, which it was.

 

I'll check again.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Rojie said:

 

I still think you have a 2011 year.

The model was introduced as a Gen 2 in 2008 and discontinued in 2011.

An updated model was introduced in 2011 and discontinued in 2015.

 

I tried the link, but didn't see anything that stated it is a 2008 vehicle, only information that suggested it was introduced in 2008, which it was.

 

I'll check again.

 

As I understand the model codes for Alphard like these..

DBA-GGH20W-PFTQK

DBA-GGH20W-PFTQK

DBA-GGH20W-VLJBTSP

The bits in bold are indicative of model and year. GGH20W being 3.5L v6 2WD 

 

I can't bring myself to buy 2008 manufactured car (as my mind was set at 2011..this is mixed bag..registered 2011 June). I've also pm'ed you some details. 👍

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Teekay said:

As I understand the model codes for Alphard like these..

DBA-GGH20W-PFTQK

DBA-GGH20W-PFTQK

DBA-GGH20W-VLJBTSP

The bits in bold are indicative of model and year. GGH20W being 3.5L v6 2WD 

 

I can't bring myself to buy 2008 manufactured car (as my mind was set at 2011..this is mixed bag..registered 2011 June). I've also pm'ed you some details. 👍

 

 

Hi Teekey,

 

I was not aware the bold indicates model year.

 

I thought it was the trim levels, and options fitted.

Which, to a certain extent, is a function of the year made.

So I have learnt something useful today.

 

I have looked, and the VLJBTSP string is not listed in the epc data I have access to.

The PFTQK is, and several others.

 

I'll check my PM thanks.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Rojie said:

 

Hi Teekey,

 

I was not aware the bold indicates model year.

 

I thought it was the trim levels, and options fitted.

Which, to a certain extent, is a function of the year made.

So I have learnt something useful today.

 

I have looked, and the VLJBTSP string is not listed in the epc data I have access to.

The PFTQK is, and several others.

 

I'll check my PM thanks.

Thanks Rojie 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

this is for the exported models (JDM models have W in section 2)

There are some other codes, to indicate wellcab (disabled access via side door, front passenger or rear ramp, and the Grade codes vary country to country, but definately no year modifier in there.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the new car features pdfs for 2011, so let me see what new stuff was added/changed which may confirm if the car you are looking at is a 2011

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.