Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Road tax - hybrids?

Hi, I've seen the road tax for jdm imports is not cheaper for hybrids and not high for bigger petrol engines. Does anyone knows why? And is this likely to change if concerned govt department /dvla catch up? Any comments? Thanks.

because they are imported, it falls under the classification based on size and year of manufacture, it defaults to the about £280 bracket (i think i posted elsewhere the links to the updated costs)

if anything, if the correct emissions certs were purchased, the cost should reduce, because the alphard 2nd gen are better than Euro 4

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Chris.ac said:

because they are imported, it falls under the classification based on size and year of manufacture, it defaults to the about £280 bracket (i think i posted elsewhere the links to the updated costs)

if anything, if the correct emissions certs were purchased, the cost should reduce, because the alphard 2nd gen are better than Euro 4

That's awesome 👍 Thanks Chris. I was concerned that 3.5L v6 tax should not suddenly one fine morning jump to 600-700 quid. That could be annoying.

I'm thinking best save up for newer Alphards 2015 onwards... do effort of IVA paperwork and happily use the vehicle as "family holiday - land cruiser". As long as it's not off road, Alphard looks like the best bet for family holidays and stuff.

8 hours ago, Chris.ac said:

I have read, on here, that getting the DVLA to change the Tax class is doable. But don't expect it to be easy.

As Chris notes, you need to correct paper work and it isn't particularly an easy process.

You can have your vehicle tested, I believe, to prove the emission levels.

11 hours ago, Teekay said:

I'm thinking best save up for newer Alphards 2015 onwards... do effort of IVA paperwork and happily use the vehicle as "family holiday - land cruiser". As long as it's not off road, Alphard looks like the best bet for family holidays and stuff.

Just be aware that vehicles newer then 10 years old are subject to additional taxation as if buying a vehicle manufactured in the eu. 

I would also check the roadtax situation again, as there are rules based on year of manufacture and newer cars are stricter

Edited by Chris.ac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris.ac said:

Just be aware that vehicles newer then 10 years old are subject to additional taxation as if buying a vehicle manufactured in the eu. 

I would also check the roadtax situation again, as there are rules based on year of manufacture and newer cars are stricter

Thanks Chris.

Simple to stay with 10 year plus vehicle then