Jump to content

Road tax - hybrids?


Recommended Posts

Hi, I've seen the road tax for jdm imports is not cheaper for hybrids and not high for bigger petrol engines. Does anyone knows why? And is this likely to change if concerned govt department /dvla catch up? Any comments? Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

because they are imported, it falls under the classification based on size and year of manufacture, it defaults to the about £280 bracket (i think i posted elsewhere the links to the updated costs)

if anything, if the correct emissions certs were purchased, the cost should reduce, because the alphard 2nd gen are better than Euro 4

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Chris.ac said:

because they are imported, it falls under the classification based on size and year of manufacture, it defaults to the about £280 bracket (i think i posted elsewhere the links to the updated costs)

if anything, if the correct emissions certs were purchased, the cost should reduce, because the alphard 2nd gen are better than Euro 4

That's awesome 👍 Thanks Chris. I was concerned that 3.5L v6 tax should not suddenly one fine morning jump to 600-700 quid. That could be annoying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm thinking best save up for newer Alphards 2015 onwards... do effort of IVA paperwork and happily use the vehicle as "family holiday - land cruiser". As long as it's not off road, Alphard looks like the best bet for family holidays and stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Chris.ac said:

because they are imported, it falls under the classification based on size and year of manufacture, it defaults to the about £280 bracket (i think i posted elsewhere the links to the updated costs)

if anything, if the correct emissions certs were purchased, the cost should reduce, because the alphard 2nd gen are better than Euro 4

 

I have read, on here, that getting the DVLA to change the Tax class is doable. But don't expect it to be easy.

As Chris notes, you need to correct paper work and it isn't particularly an easy process.

You can have your vehicle tested, I believe, to prove the emission levels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Teekay said:

I'm thinking best save up for newer Alphards 2015 onwards... do effort of IVA paperwork and happily use the vehicle as "family holiday - land cruiser". As long as it's not off road, Alphard looks like the best bet for family holidays and stuff.

Just be aware that vehicles newer then 10 years old are subject to additional taxation as if buying a vehicle manufactured in the eu. 

 

I would also check the roadtax situation again, as there are rules based on year of manufacture and newer cars are stricter

Edited by Chris.ac
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chris.ac said:

Just be aware that vehicles newer then 10 years old are subject to additional taxation as if buying a vehicle manufactured in the eu. 

 

I would also check the roadtax situation again, as there are rules based on year of manufacture and newer cars are stricter

Thanks Chris.

Simple to stay with 10 year plus vehicle then 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.