Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Hi Just put deposit on a 2004 series 10 Alphard looking to do some background checks on history,  auction info , etc. Also not sure how I check if there is any outstanding finance on vehicle an hpi check for such an import. I am buying from a dealer and conversion business locally but feel it prudent to do some due diligence checks. Any advice please. Thanks 

2 hours ago, megjo2312 said:

Hi Just put deposit on a 2004 series 10 Alphard looking to do some background checks on history,  auction info , etc. Also not sure how I check if there is any outstanding finance on vehicle an hpi check for such an import. I am buying from a dealer and conversion business locally but feel it prudent to do some due diligence checks. Any advice please. Thanks 

Hi Megjo,

Welcome to the Forum,

Your intended dealer should have a copy of the auction sheet when the car was exported from Japan (probably a while ago).

Even if they didn't import it ! If they cannot provide it, think twice. The document should be part of the documentation trail / package.

If it hasn't just been imported, and it is registered, check out DVLA. Year imported, MOT history, etc.

My due diligence would start with a independent mechanics report unless, of course, you are a mechanic.

Next, you should identify a person able to service / maintain your purchase, should you proceed.

Most official Toyota dealers will not work on grey imports.

Many UK dealers are just dealers. They are not necessarily suitably qualified or equipped to work on the vehicles.

Conversions are not normally cheap, so you must ensure you have a great base vehicle.

Is it undersealed ? Will undersealing it be as part of your purchase contract ?

Is your proposed dealer registered for VAT?

I am sure you can check for outstanding finance, but if it has only just been imported ....

I am also sure you will soon receive other tips.

Hi Rojie thanks for info. I will ask dealer for auction sheet they did show me online auction photos including underneath the vehicle. Its now going through the uk registration process following my deposit. Service and maintenance I have a dealer for that 15 years experience. Undersealing was discussed they can do and have also recommended another provider Krown.

Independent mechanical report does anyone know if the RAC do such reports on imported vehicles or can recommended a service.

Thanks

2 hours ago, megjo2312 said:

Hi Rojie thanks for info. I will ask dealer for auction sheet they did show me online auction photos including underneath the vehicle. Its now going through the uk registration process following my deposit. Service and maintenance I have a dealer for that 15 years experience. Undersealing was discussed they can do and have also recommended another provider Krown.

Independent mechanical report does anyone know if the RAC do such reports on imported vehicles or can recommended a service.

Thanks

RAC or AA did my vehicle survey. Very thorough.

Found some issues where rear axle had been dropped for bush replacement and had not been reconnected correctly. Hence fault codes galore.

They were all cleared pronto before sale. Very reassuring too.

Your proposed vehicle seems rather old for a recent import. 

Be cautious.