Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Instrument cluster in english

Has anyone ever seen one in the flesh?

134a5819-22da.thumb.jpg.9920bb8b74e696ded89b115e754850e0.jpg

24000_f.jpeg.da9f9f3d2ce5f06aa186e2d270c399a4.jpeg

So I have gone deep down the rabbit hole, maybe watch this video....

I don't have any answers, but its interesting !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, threepot said:

Has anyone ever seen one in the flesh?

134a5819-22da.thumb.jpg.9920bb8b74e696ded89b115e754850e0.jpg

24000_f.jpeg.da9f9f3d2ce5f06aa186e2d270c399a4.jpeg

So I have gone deep down the rabbit hole, maybe watch this video....

I don't have any answers, but its interesting !

Effort you made to investigate is amazing! Hats off

Do you know exactly what the model number is? There's a Fujitsu MB90 series of microcontrollers. If that particular chip is based on a common standard, you could disassemble the code and find out what might cause the english text to be used instead of the japanese.

MB90394ha

Here is the binary dump

Vellfire cluster LCD micro MB90394ha.bin

But keep in mind this is just the LCD controller. There is a another microprocessor that actually runs the cluster.

The LCD driver just does as its told by the main micro, which takes all the button presses, CAN/MPX network data, makes the dial needles move etc.

What I can say for sure is, if we could get our hands on one of these english language clusters, I certainly can clone it and write the data to another cluster ;)

Edited by threepot

And I think all of these part numbers are most likely not stuck in 100% Japanese!

83800-58360    *THAILAND/BRUNEI/INDONESIA SPEC Cruise control-Yes (mm wave radar, brake control) (10/2011 - 08/2012) 
83800-58390    CHECK PART NO.LABEL (LHD)  LHD (10/2011 - 04/2012)    1    

83800-58490    PHILIPPINES SPEC, CHECK PART NO.LABEL    1    
83800-58320    CHECK PART NO.LABEL    1 (06/2010 - 09/2011)    (LHD) (found eeprom dumps on china forums?!)
83800-58420    RUSSIA SPEC, CHECK PART NO.LABEL seen on russian forums 06/2010-09/2011
83800-58520    RUSSIA SPEC, 2014 onwardsa>    1    

83800-58320    METER ASSY, COMBINATION    06.2010 - 10.2011    ANH20, GGH20..LHD..GEN -6FC
83800-58420    METER ASSY, COMBINATION    10.2011 - 09.2012    GGH20..LHD..GEN RUSSIA SPEC -6FC
83800-58520    METER ASSY, COMBINATION    09.2012 -    GGH20..LHD..GEN RUSSIA SPEC -6FC

83800-58390    METER ASSY, COMBINATION    05.2012 - 09.2012    GGH20..LHD..GEN PHILIPPINES -6FC
83800-58490    METER ASSY, COMBINATION    09.2012 -    GGH20..LHD..GEN PHILIPPINES SPEC -6FC

83800-58500    METER ASSY, COMBINATION    05.2012 -    ANH20, GGH20..LHD .. (6FC, CVFC) .. GEN -6FC

The photo at the top is from an Alphard in the Philippines. All their domestic examples are in English, they have a proper 17 digit VIN. But keep in mind not all Alphard/Vellfire in the Philippines are proper domestic ones, may are JDM imports which don't have the 17 digit VIN.

They also have radios with the correct frequencies and english text!!

529809084398181.jpg

529809086469721.jpg

Edited by threepot
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, threepot said:

But keep in mind this is just the LCD controller. There is a another microprocessor that actually runs the cluster.

The LCD driver just does as its told by the main micro, which takes all the button presses, CAN/MPX network data, makes the dial needles move etc.

According to a spec sheet I found, that model of chip can read the CAN directly.

Seems that to disassemble it you need Softune Workbench, which is a proprietory Fujitsu/Infineon debugging environment. I can't find it for download anywhere.

Not all clusters have this 2nd LCD driver chip on them.
The clusters with the simple segmented displays just have the 1 main micro.

Only these pixel display clusters have the 2nd LCD driver.

I've got 4 different clusters here that I've studied.

Also there is no language setting in the EEPROM (I have flipped every bit!), but there are some calibration bytes... Non JDM clusters go to 220km/h and JDM go to 180km/h. If i put the eeprom data from a 220km/h cluster onto a JDM cluster, it re-calibrates the speedo needle.

Edited by threepot

I don't mind the Japanese. I just want to know which fuel reading is which. One changes as I drive but the other two seem to stay static. My Merc had one reading that showed the average mpg since day one and one that showed it per journey. Not worked out if the Vellfire has and which one is which.

What head unit do you have, and what type of dash display do you have? several types of layout.

On mine the button on steering wheel cycles between instantaneous fuel consumption, trip avg, and overall average.

Long press on the trip average resets it, and copies the last value over to the headunit, where you can see a graph plot over trips.

The display in the instrument cluster on mine can be scrolled (using “DISP” button on steering wheel) through outside temperature, instantaneous fuel consumption, average consumption, average consumption since refuelling and range remaining. The average consumption can be reset by long pressing the “DISP” button on the steering wheel. 

Edited by Steve in Chester
Spelling

5 hours ago, Steve in Chester said:

The display in the instrument cluster on mine can be scrolled (using “DISP” button on steering wheel) through outside temperature, instantaneous fuel consumption, average consumption, average consumption since refuelling and range remaining. The average consumption can be reset by long pressing the “DISP” button on the steering wheel. 

Yes, and when you reset it it transfers that value to the headunit, took me a while to figure out how to populate the consumption chart

Thanks for the replies, this makes sense. 

I do not have an original head unit, it has been replaced with a Sony unit, I am waiting delivery of an android unit but I dont think that will connect up.

• 3 months later...
On 7/12/2022 at 10:16 AM, threepot said:

Not all clusters have this 2nd LCD driver chip on them.
The clusters with the simple segmented displays just have the 1 main micro.

Only these pixel display clusters have the 2nd LCD driver.

I've got 4 different clusters here that I've studied.

Also there is no language setting in the EEPROM (I have flipped every bit!), but there are some calibration bytes... Non JDM clusters go to 220km/h and JDM go to 180km/h. If i put the eeprom data from a 220km/h cluster onto a JDM cluster, it re-calibrates the speedo needle.

Was there any further updates on your in-depth research into display panel language change?

I came to the conclusion that if I could get one cluster already in English from a vehicle sold in Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong or Russia then I could clone the data off the micro which would then make turning the JDM clusters into English straight forward, and it would also have the option in the menu to select MPH / MPG / etc.

15 hours ago, threepot said:

I came to the conclusion that if I could get one cluster already in English from a vehicle sold in Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong or Russia then I could clone the data off the micro which would then make turning the JDM clusters into English straight forward, and it would also have the option in the menu to select MPH / MPG / etc.

Happy to chip in if there was collective effort to secure one and you try to make it work! My interest is in second Gen Vellfire specifically, picture above looks like mine