Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

I was under the assumption that most Alphards / Vellfires have alarms. Mine has an immobiliser but thought I would check the alarm. The dash has what looks like an alarm LED but does not light up. I sat in the car today and locked the doors with the remote. I waited for a time for the alarm to activate then opened the door but nothing. 

Do these vehicles have and alarm? If so does anybody know if it is deactivated, can you activate it via the ODB carscanner app?

Thanks. Any idea what the little round thing on the dash is. On a youtube video where the show you how to activate the alarm with the toyota software, the little round thing is the alarm LED.

Found this on Youtube. Anybody know if it works of Alphards / Vellfires. I have seen people being able to change settings with an OBD II reader.

Edited by Voodoo101

an easy way to check if you have a factory alarm, is to check for presence of the S/Horn relay (security horn).

it's located next to the regular Horn relay position in the left fuse/ relay box in engine bay

I wonder if the alarm is an option in Japan, not a standard item, something like metallic paint when you buy a new car in the UK. That is why some cars have it and some dont.

If that is the case then it could just be a case of putting the relay in. A lot of manufacturers have standard wiring looms, ect. Its cheaper to make the cars and they just add little things to turn the options on and off. Will have to get the test meter out.

22 hours ago, Voodoo101 said:

I wonder if the alarm is an option in Japan, not a standard item, something like metallic paint when you buy a new car in the UK. That is why some cars have it and some dont.

If that is the case then it could just be a case of putting the relay in. A lot of manufacturers have standard wiring looms, ect. Its cheaper to make the cars and they just add little things to turn the options on and off. Will have to get the test meter out.

Fuse is located in the right hand side relay box in engine bay, too.

If we take the pin 3 o/p from the relay, this will be 12v when relay is active (alarm state) > we feed this to the coil on another relay, with the other side grounded, then the switched part of the new relay will connect earth to the pin 2 of the normal horn relay.

This will cause the normal 2 tone horns to sound in an alarm state.

image.thumb.png.23b772422839e09d65449edc0f64642a.png

I would suggest, that the manuals reference to the 'hood' being opened is related to this switch:

Edit: found wiring diagram containing both S/horn and Hood switch:

image.thumb.png.a3ad9ff5c80b8d33a7a5a3a338dd25fb.png

Edited by Chris.ac

On 7/18/2022 at 7:05 PM, Voodoo101 said:

Do these vehicles have and alarm? If so does anybody know if it is deactivated, can you activate it via the ODB carscanner app?

No I don’t think you can. I’ve got the Car Scanner app and didn’t see an option to switch on a car alarm. 

1 hour ago, Steve in Chester said:

No I don’t think you can. I’ve got the Car Scanner app and didn’t see an option to switch on a car alarm. 

Same with techsteam, no alarm option.

But.. this may be because the fuse is not fitted, so a 12v signal is not applied to the correct pin of the certification ECU.

Will try tomorrow by fitting the fuse and relay, see if it energises the circuit, techsteam will ignore ECUs that it can not communicate with due to powered down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking at a "Vanolarm" system with door sensor alarms & GPS tracker. I have seen these on some motorhome youtube channels etc & the company web site is very informative, but has anyone fitted one in an Alphard & if so,was it satisfactory

Thanks in advance

Russ