Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Toyota alphard 2007 - how to retain the rear dvd working

Laury

Hi everyone, 

I would like to swap over a double din radio CD/DVD, as the one I have is in Japanese and I do nit like it. 

Is anyone here to direct me in the right direction how to retain the rear DVD working? What is necessary is I buy Pioneer unit for connecting with the rear DVD 

THANK YOU

20220723_143433.jpg

20220723_143420.jpg

From what I can tell, it’s quite easy to find a replacement head unit that *mirrors* to the rear screen. That is, what’s shown on the head unit also gets displayed on the rear monitor. That’s not what I’m looking for - I want maps shown on the front screen and movies for the kids in the back.

I believe the CarPlay retrofit option that gets mentioned here a lot can’t support maps in the front and different video in the back.

If I find anything I’ll post it here.

45 minutes ago, arthurj said:

From what I can tell, it’s quite easy to find a replacement head unit that *mirrors* to the rear screen. That is, what’s shown on the head unit also gets displayed on the rear monitor. That’s not what I’m looking for - I want maps shown on the front screen and movies for the kids in the back.

I believe the CarPlay retrofit option that gets mentioned here a lot can’t support maps in the front and different video in the back.

If I find anything I’ll post it here.

Separate unit for the kids perhaps ?

Xtrons ?

1 hour ago, Rojie said:

Separate unit for the kids perhaps ?

Xtrons ?

Possibly, although it won’t use the car’s sound system. The screen itself will just take a standard analogue video in

They both have tablets and headphones anyway, but they do love having a movie theatre in the back. :)

I also have one of those mini SNES games consoles. It fits inside the centre console, has HDMI out (which goes to aux/VTR on the head unit) and runs off USB power.

You can get Android head units that have a video output that you can connect up. The other option is to get a separate unit at the back that has audio out, then connect that to and Aux connection on the main head unit. 

If it was me I would go for a nice Android unit then you can store movies directly on it or even stream Netflix. It is supposed to be possible to have both showing different things, but have not tried it. I have just put one in mine, but in the middle of trying to sort out the mess of wiring the previous owner made when fitting another unit. I think they thought the wires for the roof mounted screen was the revering camera and decided to cut it up to fit. 

If I get it sorted I will add pics.