Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Replacing original head unit

Good afternoon everyone,  just joined the forum, have had my Alphie about two months now and feel the need to replace the original head unit as much as I try cannot figure out any of the Japanese even with Google translate!!!!   Just wondered if any of you have experience of replacing this, was going down the lines of radio/cd (yes I am old school!) sat nav and reversing camera, any recommendations on best products and was wondering if Halfords would be up to the task?!  Many thanks.

32 minutes ago, PaddyK said:

Good afternoon everyone,  just joined the forum, have had my Alphie about two months now and feel the need to replace the original head unit as much as I try cannot figure out any of the Japanese even with Google translate!!!!   Just wondered if any of you have experience of replacing this, was going down the lines of radio/cd (yes I am old school!) sat nav and reversing camera, any recommendations on best products and was wondering if Halfords would be up to the task?!  Many thanks.

Hi Patrick,

Welcome to the Forum

Try eightseater.blog.com for instructions on how to use the HDD head unit.

It's in English.

4 hours ago, PaddyK said:

Hi Rojie, thanks for that, still think I will go down the replacement route, will pop into my local Halfords just to gauge if they are up to the job!!  

Be careful.

Be sure to get a guarantee that your cameras will remain fully operational, and your steering wheel controls.

• 1 month later...

Quick update on replacing the head unit ..... well  no surprise really,  but Halfords were not up to the job, at least they were honest - so after some searching for someone local found an excellent company Autotec based in Alcester, Warwickshire https://www.myvehicle.co.uk/ - had fitted Kenwood DNX7170 with DAB aerial and reversing camera, all steering wheel controls still working.    All staff, from the reception girls to the guys who fitted it were friendly, efficient and knowledgeable and I cannot recommend them highly enough.  I said I would give them a shout out on the Alphard site.    So nice now that I have fully operational radio, cd/dvd  player, sat nav, reversing camera, blue tooth plus more ....  still ploughing through the manual.      Was not sorry to see the old unit go, me and the Japanese lady had run our course!!!   Looking forward now to some better weather so I can get out in Alphie.   Merry Xmas to all the Alphard owners.     

IMG_20221204_111230.jpg

IMG_20221204_111110.jpg