Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Changing from 7 seater to 8 Seater. and other tech questions

Hi,

wanted

Yesterday me and my other half FINALY found a decent Alphard, with the items we needed.

Its what i believe is the pre facelift 2002 model. ( pearlwhite and mokka two tone) the only part that its letting us down on is the seats, and im hoping we can convert it.

currently we are a family of 6, full time, and on the weekends i have my son, that goes up to 7. as a 6 seater, the car is amazing and everyone is comfy. but as a 7 seater, someone has to sit in, what im calling the jump seat. that one right in the back that is basicaly 10" wide is basicaly sat on arm rests. What we want to do is switch out the very nice middle row. currently two seats with sliding foot rests. to the rotating 40-60 split seats, as for 3 people these are much comfier. I have been led to believe that this is not as simple as just taking out the seats and putting the 40-60 split seat on. and actualy involves moving or replacing the rails. 

Next thing, we have the older headunit, but have the DVD unit in the glovebox, and the cinema surround. and are wondering if there is a way to change to an android type headunit, but still keep all front and rear camera functionality. any recomendations etc.

Our electric curtains dont seem to work, they kind move. but need help along the way, im actualy about to go try furninture polish to see if that eases them up. but if not any other tricks?

19 minutes ago, cerbrus2 said:

Hi,

wanted

Yesterday me and my other half FINALY found a decent Alphard, with the items we needed.

Its what i believe is the pre facelift 2002 model. ( pearlwhite and mokka two tone) the only part that its letting us down on is the seats, and im hoping we can convert it.

currently we are a family of 6, full time, and on the weekends i have my son, that goes up to 7. as a 6 seater, the car is amazing and everyone is comfy. but as a 7 seater, someone has to sit in, what im calling the jump seat. that one right in the back that is basicaly 10" wide is basicaly sat on arm rests. What we want to do is switch out the very nice middle row. currently two seats with sliding foot rests. to the rotating 40-60 split seats, as for 3 people these are much comfier. I have been led to believe that this is not as simple as just taking out the seats and putting the 40-60 split seat on. and actualy involves moving or replacing the rails. 

Next thing, we have the older headunit, but have the DVD unit in the glovebox, and the cinema surround. and are wondering if there is a way to change to an android type headunit, but still keep all front and rear camera functionality. any recomendations etc.

Our electric curtains dont seem to work, they kind move. but need help along the way, im actualy about to go try furninture polish to see if that eases them up. but if not any other tricks?

Hello Clayton,

Welcome to the Forum.

Seating.

It does (at least) mean changing (some of) the rails.

Your model will have four. You need five for the 1.5 plus 1 seating.

I have never done it, but on the principle that putting things back together is never as easy as taking them apart, be careful.

However, I would expect any converter to be able to do the job; although they normally only take them out.

They may also be able to supply the seating too.

Headunit.

Can be done, ensure you ask about the cameras and steering controls being retained before agreeing to have it done.

Curtains.

My electric curtains are 'jerky' and do not perform perfectly.

Unless you like to 'play' with them it is of no consequence.

Park up, push button, manually adjust.

I had thought of WD40 to lower friction; but friction may not be the cause.

They do close and open almost instantly, I would have preferred a slow smooth action.

Let me know about the furniture polish approach. I hope it works for you.