Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Tinted rear window and car dash cam - camera performance in dark

Teekay

If we install dash cam at rear window, as its tinted, I think the chances it will record anything well in night time is minimal? Anyone else come across this issue? Any camera that can be used behind tinted glasses and perform well?

Or can the safety dash cam be installed outside the Alphard / vellfire - tucked underneath the aero spoilers?

Look into the 30series parts, some of these had digital internal mirror that allowed you to either use it 'standard' mode as glass, or switch to the rear camera mounted at top of glass.

Alternative would be to get a camera that uses one of the number plate light sources to mount a camera/led

2 hours ago, Chris.ac said:

Look into the 30series parts, some of these had digital internal mirror that allowed you to either use it 'standard' mode as glass, or switch to the rear camera mounted at top of glass.

Alternative would be to get a camera that uses one of the number plate light sources to mount a camera/led

Thanks @chris.AC

So many of Alphards and Vellfires are with tinted glasses. Many must use dash cams. Having camera recording behind tinted glass must work? Someone would have faced/  cracked this. For instance purposes Cameras are so common these days with so much to choose

You have to keep it in context with the year of manufacture.

reverse camera had been available since mid to late 90s on Toyota, they then introduced front and side, expanding to 360, by the time 2015 rolled around is when they started installing digital rear view mirrors, and on newer models they now have telemetrics that capture dashcam for use in accidents.

The tint, in fairness is a film, so you could use a scalpel to remove a small square of it.

I have the Viofo A129 Duo Plus front and rear combo. The rear one’s fine through the tinted glass, it’s up close to the window so you don’t really see the tint. The problem at night is more that headlights are strong and drown everything out in the rear camera, even with HDR, but I can still make out number plates if they’re close enough and it would still be good evidence in the event of an accident

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2022 at 7:46 PM, Chris.ac said:

The tint, in fairness is a film, so you could use a scalpel to remove a small square of it.

Hi I was looking at the rear windscreen and it looked like there is no film but the glass itself is tinted. Are you sure there should be some film? Any first hand experience? @Chris.ac

On 12/17/2022 at 12:02 AM, Teekay said:

Hi I was looking at the rear windscreen and it looked like there is no film but the glass itself is tinted. Are you sure there should be some film? Any first hand experience? @Chris.ac

Mine is definitely tinted with film, it's factory fitted but there are a few small damage spots from scratches that confirm it's a film

1 hour ago, Chris.ac said:

Mine is definitely tinted with film, it's factory fitted but there are a few small damage spots from scratches that confirm it's a film

That's really interesting. I'll probably use freak blade Stanley knife @Chris.ac to cut a small window once I get proper front and rear  Camera set and give a try 

I have the limo privacy tint, so the sides are near black from outside, with the rear being slightly more transparent. 

Have you tried looking at how the 30 series digital rear view mirror camera is set up? 

I have not done so yet, but it may be something that can be fitted for a more oem look

15 hours ago, Chris.ac said:

I have the limo privacy tint, so the sides are near black from outside, with the rear being slightly more transparent. 

Have you tried looking at how the 30 series digital rear view mirror camera is set up? 

I have not done so yet, but it may be something that can be fitted for a more oem look

I like to keep redundancy built into the systems as much as possible. Mirror as simple classic and electronic system with recording, both as separate. If possible I would like to have side cameras to cover blind spot. That will be well worth. Wonder if anyone installed something like that? 

My point wasn't clear. I mean the camera unit mounting itself, the molding and mount position, it may be possible to buy a 30 series rear view camera (separate from reversing camera which is fitted near number plate.) 

Not suggesting replacing the internal rear view camera (which has redundancy built in already, because the 30 series mirror shows you to use old school or digital (the digital allows you to zoom, check blind spots) 

Edited by Chris.ac