Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Vellfire 2008 doors and tailgate stopped working

Hi everyone, my 2008 Vellfire electric doors and tailgate have all suddenly stopped working, just before they did the right hand door opened halfway and then changed direction and immediately closed again. I have checked fuses which seem ok , I have made sure switches are on , I have been a car restorer for 40 years but this has got me stumped , can anyone help please please please. Thanks, Stormysteve 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, stormysteve2 said:

Hi everyone, my 2008 Vellfire electric doors and tailgate have all suddenly stopped working, just before they did the right hand door opened halfway and then changed direction and immediately closed again. I have checked fuses which seem ok , I have made sure switches are on , I have been a car restorer for 40 years but this has got me stumped , can anyone help please please please. Thanks, Stormysteve 

hello Philip,

Welcome to the Forum.

On 11/14/2022 at 7:27 AM, stormysteve2 said:

That’s crazy.. I hope someone notices this post and helps you…

please post the end resolution, hope you get there soon

There are fuses in the left and right footwells on my 2008 Alphard, have you checked both sides for a blown fuse?

Also, my side doors can be opened with the remote central locking key fob, might the button have been accidentally pressed in your pocket? 

Have you got a good voltage in the 12 volt battery?

I’m not especially familiar with these cars as I’ve not had one long but that’s where I’d start. 

Steve. 

Hi Steve, yes I have checked all four fuse boxes and I keep the van on a maintenance charger , the doors and tailgate won’t operate on the key fob or any of the switches  . Thanks for your reply, I will keep trawling the internet.regards Steve.

8 hours ago, stormysteve2 said:

Thank you for answering to my problem, that did cross my mind and I will check this. Do you know if the orange on the switch should illuminate when it’s on , as mine doesn’t. Thanks again, Steve.

Orange on the switch is just paint, no led. 

8 hours ago, stormysteve2 said:

Thank you for answering to my problem, that did cross my mind and I will check this. Do you know if the orange on the switch should illuminate when it’s on , as mine doesn’t. Thanks again, Steve.

Orange on the switch is just paint, no led. 

Also, have you disconnected battery at some point? 

On 20 series, the rear doors and the boot have seperate ecu with memory, you need to manually open and close each door to reset, or disconnect battery, ensure all doors are closed, then reconnect battery. 

Refer to the electrical component guide here:

https://slideplayer.com/amp/10248235/

Chris, thanks for the info, I have disconnected the battery but I think I needed to leave it for at least 30 sec and I don’t know if I had the doors closed so I will try this again, thanks for the info on the switch, the writing on the switch does light up when you turn the lights on so I don’t think a wire has come off but I will try to get to the back of it to see . Thanks Steve.

Hi everyone, the story and the conclusion. First of all I would like to thank everyone who responded to my problem and gave me so much information for which I am very very grateful for thank you. 
   After reading your suggestions and trawling the internet I did what I could, firstly I checked the relevant fuses that were related to the problem none were blown, so I then pulled and checked every fuse of the 4 fuse boxes , none were blown. I disconnected the battery for 30 seconds to reset the ecu’s nothing happened , still no power to doors or tailgate. After a week or so I admitted defeat and booked her in to an auto electrician , but the night I thought I would disconnect the battery till the morning. In the morning I reconnected the battery and tried the doors and nothing, so with heavy hart I set off to the electricians, only thing was the door mirrors would now not unfold , great ! I continued on my journey and kept trying the mirror switch and after about 4 miles they unfolded , 

I got to the electricians and described the problem, I was just about to leave and he said to me can he open the back doors manually and as I showed him how , by pulling the handle the bloody door opened on its own , we tried the other door and the boot and unbelievably everything was working fine. 
  In the windmills of my mind I seem to remember that if you disconnected the battery for any length of time you needed to drive the beast for a few miles for everything to re set , well it worked for me . Thanks again you great bunch of lads and I hope that this may help someone else to keep these great vans running 👍👍👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stormysteve2 said:

Hi everyone, the story and the conclusion. First of all I would like to thank everyone who responded to my problem and gave me so much information for which I am very very grateful for thank you. 
   After reading your suggestions and trawling the internet I did what I could, firstly I checked the relevant fuses that were related to the problem none were blown, so I then pulled and checked every fuse of the 4 fuse boxes , none were blown. I disconnected the battery for 30 seconds to reset the ecu’s nothing happened , still no power to doors or tailgate. After a week or so I admitted defeat and booked her in to an auto electrician , but the night I thought I would disconnect the battery till the morning. In the morning I reconnected the battery and tried the doors and nothing, so with heavy hart I set off to the electricians, only thing was the door mirrors would now not unfold , great ! I continued on my journey and kept trying the mirror switch and after about 4 miles they unfolded , 

I got to the electricians and described the problem, I was just about to leave and he said to me can he open the back doors manually and as I showed him how , by pulling the handle the bloody door opened on its own , we tried the other door and the boot and unbelievably everything was working fine. 
  In the windmills of my mind I seem to remember that if you disconnected the battery for any length of time you needed to drive the beast for a few miles for everything to re set , well it worked for me . Thanks again you great bunch of lads and I hope that this may help someone else to keep these great vans running 👍👍👍

Thanks for letting us all know

On 11/23/2022 at 8:39 PM, stormysteve2 said:

Thought someone said this fix was not permanent and issue happened again. I'll watch for updates from you if any.

Shouldn't the runners / channels for electric side doors be lubricated? Any suggestions? Graphite power? Lithium grease? WD40? Anyone?

My suggestion would be YouTube, don’t just look for Alphard , put Toyota electric sliding doors in your search as most of the Toyota range have the same setup, there is a host of information for you to get your head around but if you are really lost find a decent auto electrician, it could save you a lot of sleepless nights . Good luck and lubricate those runners . Stormysteve .

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Hi I have a velfire, before I took it to a mechanic the electric tail gate wasn't working, he put it on the computer, straight after that it was working now it isn't working and gone back to how it was before. 

15 hours ago, Mobo said:

Hi I have a velfire, before I took it to a mechanic the electric tail gate wasn't working, he put it on the computer, straight after that it was working now it isn't working and gone back to how it was before. 

Good morning, the electric doors and tailgate seem to have a mind of there own on these vans , if you can disconnect the battery for about an hour then reconnect then drive for about 5 miles usually everything starts working again . Good Luck, stormysteve .

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2023 at 5:16 PM, Mobo said:

Did you get to the bottom of this?