Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Rear dashcam installation methods 2010 Vellfire

I would like to fit a rear dashcam onto my 2010 Vellfire. One way I could do this is to feed a wire from the middle console unit usb, under the floor mats and then up along the side and along the ceiling.

The dashcam isn't an extension of the main dashcam, like this

Screenshot_20221228_113301_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping_edit_5130172139841.thumb.jpg.7fb2b293f25d0bb0751a2efd96eb5275.jpgbut is a seperate dashcam unit. 

I can only think of this method, apart from using the power from inside the boot (which I don't know how to do). 

What other methods could I use to install it?

Normally the rear dashcam takes power from the front camera which also does all the recording. By your description, you have two separate dashcams. If that is the case then I would probably just take a power and earth from something in the tailgate. You will have to make sure that the power comes from something that only comes on with the ignition, otherwise it will just drain you battery. Just make sure you run an inline fuse.

58 minutes ago, Voodoo101 said:

Normally the rear dashcam takes power from the front camera which also does all the recording. By your description, you have two separate dashcams. If that is the case then I would probably just take a power and earth from something in the tailgate. You will have to make sure that the power comes from something that only comes on with the ignition, otherwise it will just drain you battery. Just make sure you run an inline fuse.

Has this been seen or done before? I can't think of anything that is only powered when the ignition is on in the tailgate area. 

Hi 

I fitted a front and rear dash cam was going to fit the cable under the mats but opted to run the cable along the roof lining just along the edge using a trim removal tool to lift plastic trims and tuck cable out of sight.

Then when reaching tailgate removed rear plastic trim cut a tiny piece out so cable wasn’t snagged when opening and closing boot fitted camera to rear glass been a year since fitting all working ok.

The problem you have is powering yours from the tailgate area mines powered and controlled from front camera which is the normal mine is a 4K one which you can access recordings without removing cameras straight on to your phone no problem either with the very dark tinted rear glass for recordings.

Let me know and I can put some pictures and model nos of what I installed and fitment if it helps.

You could look at the wiring diagrams. 

I've avoided my laptop whilst on Xmas break, so not ready for me to check. 

I believe the active antenna in the spoiler and right side rear glass has a switched live feed, as they come on with headunit.