Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Garage for imported Alphard near Coulsdon

Hi there, 

I went to a toytec garage where I have been advised that they cannot do mot/service on my car because their engine management SW is not suitable for my imported vehicle.

I am looking then for a garage that can perform a MOT and Service to my Alphard Vellfire near Coulsdon CR5. Any recommendation is welcome. Thanks in advance

Fab

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2023 at 4:42 PM, Fab said:

Hi there, 

I went to a toytec garage where I have been advised that they cannot do mot/service on my car because their engine management SW is not suitable for my imported vehicle.

I am looking then for a garage that can perform a MOT and Service to my Alphard Vellfire near Coulsdon CR5. Any recommendation is welcome. Thanks in advance

Fab

I don't understand this 'cannot do mot' attitude.

If they choose not to perform a service, because they don't have the experience, the parts or the tools I understand.

Buy not being able to perform an mot ?

My guess is that they don't want to do the mot in case it fails, and you would require them to do the work.

I doubt the fumes, or noise, emitted by a Japanese vehicle are any different to those of a European vehicle.

Perhaps Picasso can comment please.

I would be surprised if any (MOT) garage cannot do the test. Will not, maybe, cannot, no.

The truth is Rojie that garages run by astute business people are only really interested in servicing vehicles that their workforce are familiar with, time is money if their Mechanic's have done their training/ apprenticeships etc they should be qualified enough to engage most problems that may occur on any Toyota, but it's the Boss who pays the mechanics time when I ran several franchised Dealerships the profit came from the Mechanic being able to do the work without having to constantly referring to the vehicle's training guide

The majority of people that have purchased vehicles that are over fifteen years old will not find today's Mechanics fully versed on imported vehicles that were never sold within Europe

8 hours ago, ThuMentaliss said:

The truth is Rojie that garages run by astute business people are only really interested in servicing vehicles that their workforce are familiar with, time is money if their Mechanic's have done their training/ apprenticeships etc they should be qualified enough to engage most problems that may occur on any Toyota, but it's the Boss who pays the mechanics time when I ran several franchised Dealerships the profit came from the Mechanic being able to do the work without having to constantly referring to the vehicle's training guide

The majority of people that have purchased vehicles that are over fifteen years old will not find today's Mechanics fully versed on imported vehicles that were never sold within Europe

I take your point about profit and older vehicles; unfamiliarity, and fear of the unknown, but declining to perform an MOT ?

The situation reminds me of a very good friend of mine who, some years ago, attended a Mercedes Dealership to buy a new Mercedes Benz

They judged the book by its cover, which wasn't presented as well as it might have been that day.

They treated him poorly and he left.

The following day, he visited his local Rolls Royce dealership; and ordered the latest new model.

As a cash customer, he was offered a courtesy car for the duration of the delivery lead-time.

With all the customer specified 'options' the Rolls took some few weeks to be delivered (literally).

His first trip was to the Mercedes Benz dealership where he discretely parked his latest model (RR) obstructing the main entrance.

He was surprised how long it took Reception to request, over the Tannoy, "Would the owner of (registration, not marque) please come to Reception.

I recently went with my life-long to another MB dealership to buy a new MB !

All was going well, the sales person thought, until my friend was reminded of his prior experience at a MB Dealership.

So, due to their short-sightedness, and expectation of appearance, the MB supply chain lost the sale of two new vehicles and the ongoing servicing revenue over several years.

One thing my friend had learned conducting his own business was that "No Revenue delivers No Profit".

So. Rant over.

Great Rojie! Must be nice to have friends who are in a situation that they can order a new Mercedes or Rolls Royce 😁 however do get your point ...incidently I never mentioned the MOT issue in my post completely separate issue, in my day one could loose their MOT licence by refusing to carry out an MOT without a very valid reason.

25 minutes ago, ThuMentaliss said:

Great Rojie! Must be nice to have friends who are in a situation that they can order a new Mercedes or Rolls Royce 😁 however do get your point ...incidently I never mentioned the MOT issue in my post completely separate issue, in my day one could loose their MOT licence by refusing to carry out an MOT without a very valid reason.

My friend is just that, a life-long friend.

Without sounding too draconian; I agree with the notion that MOT stations should not be allowed to refuse to test (without an exceptional reason).