Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Power sliding doors

Gruf

Hopefully someone might be able to help with this problem. Both of my sliding doors have stopped working. They stopped working a week ago, a few days later I managed slowly to open the passenger one manually and checked the cables and gulleys, these have been cleaned and lubed. Once this was done I tried to use the power door opening and closing, it worked. I did the same with the drivers side power door and then tested the door and it worked. Today I am back with both doors not opening, press the handle and the door opens and inch then closes, turn the power door switch off and the doors will still open an inch and no more. I have checked the fuses and all are good. Is there a way of just having manual doors without using the electric switch.  I have done a search on this site just incase anyone else had had the same problem, but no joy.Thanks for any information. Cheers Gruf

38 minutes ago, Gruf said:

Hopefully someone might be able to help with this problem. Both of my sliding doors have stopped working. They stopped working a week ago, a few days later I managed slowly to open the passenger one manually and checked the cables and gulleys, these have been cleaned and lubed. Once this was done I tried to use the power door opening and closing, it worked. I did the same with the drivers side power door and then tested the door and it worked. Today I am back with both doors not opening, press the handle and the door opens and inch then closes, turn the power door switch off and the doors will still open an inch and no more. I have checked the fuses and all are good. Is there a way of just having manual doors without using the electric switch.  I have done a search on this site just incase anyone else had had the same problem, but no joy.Thanks for any information. Cheers Gruf

Hi Barry,

Make sure your battery is fully charged, and I mean fully.

These cold mornings are battery charge killers

Thanks for the replies, the battery was fully charged and the engine was running. I have a volt meter running  when the engine is going and it shows 14.2v and 12.9v when the engine is turned off. I am looking for a way to override the door motors and just go manual. Thinking of popping off the door cards and see about disconnecting one or more of the cables, hoping this will solve the problem. Thanks Gruf

Evening Scraggyhound,thanks for the reply. Yes my Alphard has this button but even when I cancel the power doors I still have the same problem. I cancelled the power doors then tried to open the doors manually, the door opens an inch then pulls back to shut. I did then use more force and the door opened abit further but then locked out. Major problems then closing the door to get the warning light on the dash to go off, I thought the door was closed but the light was still on till I gave the door a final push. At the moment I am not using either door until I can get around to stripping the door panel out and check the cables. Bit of a hassle climbing through from the front seats, but better than getting stuck with a door that I will not close. Thanks Gruf

Hi. I have watched a couple of videos on YouTube one by Jap Nut and one by Cuttothechase both did different items on the door and on one was a link to the little motor spare part. Might be worth a quick view. Mine opens about 14" then gets stuck. So not too bad! 

Thanks for the info, I have watched the Cuttothechase one which had good info but will check out the other one. I have checked out several links regards the problem, just hoping that someone else had the same problem and found out a cure. Cheers Gruf

Had a spare half hour between jobs this weekend so gave Buzz a good clean and check over. Gave the door cables I could see a once over, looks like the plastic coatings of the cables has perished, so the chances are this is wrapped up inside the door possible around the other working parts. Cheers Gruf

• 9 months later...

Does the door open on a slightly inclined driveway.It seems like about to open half way and then stop in between and closes automatically.

Also I tried from a levelled surface as well,it seems to be doing the same,trying to open half way and close.The same thing happening when trying to close as well through the key or the button.

I can mostly open it with a bit of force manually and close as well in the same way.Any ideas please or is this need any reset of problems with motor?

Thanks 

11 minutes ago, sarath said:

Does the door open on a slightly inclined driveway. It seems like about to open half way and then stop in between and closes automatically.

Also I tried from a levelled surface as well, it seems to be doing the same, trying to open half way and close. The same thing happening when trying to close as well through the key or the button.

I can mostly open it with a bit of force manually and close as well in the same way. Any ideas please or is this need any reset of problems with motor?

Thanks 

If the rear windows are open, the door will not open fully, and will close automatically.

resetting you windows may help.

Check the door sensors and perhaps clean them.

Thanks Rojie, definitely it is not the windows as they are closed fully.

Sorry for the query, where can I find the door sensors, is it in a place where we can clean without opening the door panel.

2 hours ago, sarath said:

Thanks Rojie, definitely it is not the windows as they are closed fully.

Sorry for the query, where can I find the door sensors, is it in a place where we can clean without opening the door panel.

Yes I believe they are on the inside faces of the door 'jambs'.

Just a gentle clean, make sure nothing is effecting them; I doubt the problem is this though, but it is a no cost option.

I believe tight or frayed cables can also cause issues,

Door issues is not uncommon.

I expect you will receive several suggestions from members who have solved various issues.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Dave Waygood said:

Was there an answer as now I have the same issue. 

Hello Dave, I still have the same problem but it only happens now and again. While we had the warm weather I stripped off the door cards to check the cable condition behind the panels. I was thinking that the plastic coating was causing the problems, but all the cable coatings behind the panels were good. While I had the panels off I gave the moving parts a clean and check before adding a little lube. Put all the panels back on for both of the doors and gave them a test. The passenger side door worked fine but the drivers side door was slower then the other side, both doors closed and locked no problems. They were both fine for a couple of weeks, then one day at work I got out of Buzz using the drivers side sliding door and it opened but then would not close completely without a little help. When I got home that night I tried again and the door opened and closed correctly with no problem. So at the moment I only use the side doors if needed. So having checked all the cables and workings, door sensors and the gulleys and made sure the the battery was tested and fully charged I am no further forward. Used Buzz to go on holiday this year, ended up stashing the rear seats to the sides which gave us more luggage space but if there was any futher problems with the side doors gave good access to the middle seats.Sorry I have no easy solution, it is a matter of going through everything. Cheers Gruf 

• 1 month later...

Power assisted door issue solved. I cut the cable recessed under the rear side window, switched off power for side doors. I prefer this as door runs under my own steam without the annoying beep, beep, beep! 😊. Next I want to eliminate the beep, beep beep in the dashboard every time I put it in reverse gear. An unnecessary distraction whilst reversing.  Good luck, happy relaxed driving 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave Waygood said:

Power assisted door issue solved. I cut the cable recessed under the rear side window, switched off power for side doors. I prefer this as door runs under my own steam without the annoying beep, beep, beep! 😊. Next I want to eliminate the beep, beep beep in the dashboard every time I put it in reverse gear. An unnecessary distraction whilst reversing.  Good luck, happy relaxed driving 👍

I think the beep is there to warn pedestrians !

17 hours ago, Rojie said:

I think the beep is there to warn pedestrians !

Hello Dave, thanks for the up date. My drivers side power door is still working well, the other side still has a mind of its own sometimes it works fine then the following time it needs help to close. So at the moment just using the drivers side door when needed. So for your passenger side door you just cut the cable running underneath the windows, did you need to turn off the power door switch to make this work or can you leave the power doors swithched on. The only reason I ask is that I use the power boot option a lot of the time, plus I can still use the drivers side power door. Thanks Gruf

Err.. I never had power boot. Drivers side cable had already been cut when I bought it.  But really I prefer non power door as it works fine without power, it was really cool but more convenient and quieter without the beeps, yes I have turned off the power switch. When I first had the van I was caught out frequently by flat battery, first time in France on way to Mallorca with daughter's cat. So glad I took advice from my brother to carry a backup battery and jump leads. 👍. Now I have a bigger battery which has solved that issue. 👍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dave Waygood said:

Err.. I never had power boot. Drivers side cable had already been cut when I bought it.  But really I prefer non power door as it works fine without power, it was really cool but more convenient and quieter without the beeps, yes I have turned off the power switch. When I first had the van I was caught out frequently by flat battery, first time in France on way to Mallorca with daughter's cat. So glad I took advice from my brother to carry a backup battery and jump leads. 👍. Now I have a bigger battery which has solved that issue. 👍

Thanks for the information. Cheers Gruf