Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Mystery Item

Hello all,

New member here, I'm currently looking at purchasing fairly soon a late V6 Gen1 Alphard and I have seen a couple for sale with an item mounted on the cieling where the rear TV would be. It is a box that goes from the rear of the front sun roof area to the rear a/c controls, has grilles front & rear and a circular grille underneath. Neither I have seen have the uprated sound system. Sunroof & non-sunroof models. I've searched online, parts catalogues, translated brochures and I cannot find it!

I'm hoping your collective knowledge will be able to help, as it is bugging the hell out of me!

Many thanks!

16 minutes ago, alpharex said:

Hello all,

New member here, I'm currently looking at purchasing fairly soon a late V6 Gen1 Alphard and I have seen a couple for sale with an item mounted on the cieling where the rear TV would be. It is a box that goes from the rear of the front sun roof area to the rear a/c controls, has grilles front & rear and a circular grille underneath. Neither I have seen have the uprated sound system. Sunroof & non-sunroof models. I've searched online, parts catalogues, translated brochures and I cannot find it!

I'm hoping your collective knowledge will be able to help, as it is bugging the hell out of me!

Many thanks!

Hello Rex.,

Welcome to the Forum.

It is probably and air filter/ cleaner/ purifier; fitted aftermarket.

Ah, ok thanks. I had an inkling it may be something like that. The 2 I have seen are identical so I thought it may have been a Toyota option (Still could be).

Help very much appreciated, i hope to join you in ownership soon!

its the precursor to the early 20 series built in (standard tech) Plasmacluster Ioniser system, and the late model 20 series Nano-e technology.

On the 10 series it was an option, like you have discovered, these systems go back to at least 1990, I had an ioniser in my 1994 Toyota Sera (which incidentally was the first production car to have projection style headlamps)

Toyota-Sera-doors-open.jpg

reportedly, there was a Sera parked not far from Gordon Murray’s home that he would drive past most days. This led to him borrowing one and using it as the inspiration for the Mclaren F1’s dihedral doors

Edited by Chris.ac

Ah, cool thanks.

I was keen on the Sera, a friend of mine had one for a while. Alas I was always after the biggest most powerful engine I could (not) afford (nothings changed in 20 years) so the little 1.5 dropped off my radar. Neat cars though.

On 1/20/2023 at 6:25 PM, alpharex said:

Ah, cool thanks.

I was keen on the Sera, a friend of mine had one for a while. Alas I was always after the biggest most powerful engine I could (not) afford (nothings changed in 20 years) so the little 1.5 dropped off my radar. Neat cars though.

If Toyota relaunched the sera as an ev, id buy one, it was such a fun car.