Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

ERISIN ES8112C Head Unit Notes

Hello All,

I'm installing this head unit from Audio Tech Direct:

https://www.erisin.co.uk/products/erisin-es8112c-8-core-android-100-car-stereo-dab-gps-satnav-for-toyota-hilux-rav-4-corolla-vios-4g-wifi-bluetooth-carplay-dsp

Thought I'd log anything others might find useful as I go along.

Operation seems fairly quick compared to an XTRONS unit I had installed before which was the main reason for replacement. The XTRONS was infuriating to use.

One problem with the new HU is that my Google Pixel 6a will pair but not connect by Bluetooth. Other phones do connect to the HU (i.e. Samsung S22, Sony Xperia XZ1) and the Pixel 6a connects to other devices including my car, the old XTRONS unit (typical!) and various audio devices in the home. Clearly there’s some kind of incompatibility for this device combination. The only time this would be a problem for me is streaming music while occupying the back of the van. My workaround at the moment, is to use an high quality (aptX) BT audio adapter located in the storage compartment below the radio and connect via the AUX input on the HU. The plus side is that this would be better quality audio (aptX) than the built in BT (A2DP). Whether this is a noticeable difference in a van environment, I'm not sure yet.

Android Auto works via USB cable with my Pixel 6a but I won't be using it like this most of the time.

Edited by Geralt
Wrong link.
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Vinceb23 said:

Hi,

Does the Erisin unit work with the steering wheel controls in the Alphard or is an adaptor needed?

This unit works with the left hand Alphard switches (<>,+-,MODE) directly (electrically speaking) but the existing SWC connector in the vehicle does not plug straight into the unit so, if you prefer, you can use an adapter connector or you can just wire it in directly with connector block or soldering. I happen to have a mating connector left over from the XTRONS installation. Here's a pic of my situation:

image.png.a37d528a1b0cbc5ec00ec5b6b4e1ed3c.png

I found the connector available here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334552676958

BTW, you have to program the steering switch functions but you can program short AND long presses for a single swicth to be different functions thereby effectively doubling the number of steering wheel switches.

Edited by Geralt
Found connector on eBay.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Vinceb23 said:

When you say that the steering wheel switch functions have to be programmed, how is that done.

In the SWC settings it tells you to press a button on the steering wheel then asks you to pick from a long list of possible functions to assign it for short and long presses. You can choose what you like for any button so + does not have to be volume up although I can't think why you would choose anything else unless you want to be mischievous.

• Haha 1

Updated diagram with all items connected.

• D1 and override switch is to enable the radio whilst we're in the back of the van, i.e. without keys in ignition.
  • The red wiring is allow running the radio from the leisure battery although I haven't done that part yet.

image.thumb.png.117dd823db5a81e763c87f568112236c.png

• Like 1

Unit now fully installed albeit with some mechanical difficulties which I'll report on later when the suppliers have got back to me. I went for a 30 minute test drive around south Birmingham.

• Offline Sat nav works smoothly with Sygic. Route re-calculation pretty swift when wrong turn taken. Key pushes respond in good time.
  • DAB reception was flawless although I was just driving around Birmingham. Rural areas are a different prospect of course.
  • Music sound reproduction is good with pleasant bass and oomph.

So far, so good.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alasdair said:

That really does look brilliant. What is the override switch for?

Ours is a camper conversion and I like to have music on while I'm cooking, drinking and being beaten at Scrabble by my wife. The switch and diode D1 allows me to have the head unit operating without the keys in the ignition and switching on any other functions powered on by ACC. Ideally the switch should be installed in the rear of the vehicle somewhere but it will do for now.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Geralt said:

Ours is a camper conversion and I like to have music on while I'm cooking, drinking and being beaten at Scrabble by my wife. The switch and diode D1 allows me to have the head unit operating without the keys in the ignition and switching on any other functions powered on by ACC. Ideally the switch should be installed in the rear of the vehicle somewhere but it will do for now.

That's a great idea. Ours is being converted to a day van from the 8 seats to 7 and will have a combined sink/hob unit and detachable table. The head unit is being swapped out by the company doing the conversion and we will be taking delivery hopefully on the 1st April (no joke 😆) Photos will be posted when we have got it home safe and sound. There are some graphics being added once we have it....a bonnet wrap and side graphics so will post photos when that's been completed too. Our first weekend away camping has already been booked for the 14th-16th April

1 minute ago, Alasdair said:

That's a great idea. Ours is being converted to a day van from the 8 seats to 7 and will have a combined sink/hob unit and detachable table. The head unit is being swapped out by the company doing the conversion and we will be taking delivery hopefully on the 1st April (no joke 😆) Photos will be posted when we have got it home safe and sound. There are some graphics being added once we have it....a bonnet wrap and side graphics so will post photos when that's been completed too. Our first weekend away camping has already been booked for the 14th-16th April

Sounds great and looking forward to your photos! I can't wait to get back out there. We have a couple of festivals booked already and keeping a close eye on the weekend weather forecast now spring is in the air.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Geralt said:

Sounds great and looking forward to your photos! I can't wait to get back out there. We have a couple of festivals booked already and keeping a close eye on the weekend weather forecast now spring is in the air.

The conversion company are fitting a rail and I've already bought the awning so will be testing that out on the first weekend away. The Alphards are absolutely ideal for festivals....enjoy !!

In my view, this unit is not 100% mechanically compatible with my Gen 1 Alphard even though it was described as being applicable to my vehicle.

The fascia aperture is perfect but using the original brackets the HU sticks out too much and at the wrong angle so that the fascia cannot be replaced. Compare the HU’s below: both have several pairs of M5 screw holes for fitting to different models but the original has a pair of holes much closer to the front and higher up where the bracket was attached in my Alphard. It seems this front pair of screw holes is missing in the ERISIN so I’ve kept the brackets but ditched the screws and wedged the radio in. Once the fascia is in place the unit is adequately secured against the lower plastic prong shown at the end of the yellow arrow.

I suppose it's a small price to pay for an otherwise good, value for money unit.

ERISIN

image.png.4998e0f9eab69d43496152bb70de2e1c.png

ORIGINAL HEAD UNIT

image.png.e8957c3d53b10876c4640c4b69502863.png

• Like 1