Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ร—

๐Ÿ‘€ newbie looking for advice please

Hello there! ๐Ÿ‘‹ย 

We are looking for our 1st campervan and have discovered the Alphie which we have decided is the right choice for us but which model, layout etc should we pick?ย ๐Ÿค”

Is low mileage mote important than year?

Lots of questions!

So we are looking for something primarily for 2 adults, oh is 6'2" and well built, I'm 5'2" and ehhem, a little well built! 11st

We are wondering how 2 adults fit on a r+r bed? How comfortable are they?ย 

Should we be looking for a back kitchen to have a bigger bed?

Are the pop tops only for children? Could I sleep up there if needed?

What about the height of the pop top, is it an issue?ย 

What are the pros and cons of a high top vs pop top?

Do we need 4wd?ย 

What are the main things to consider?

Any advice is greatly appreciated ๐Ÿ™ย 

TIA

ย 

2 hours ago, Lina said:

Hello there! ๐Ÿ‘‹ย 

We are looking for our 1st campervan and have discovered the Alphie which we have decided is the right choice for us but which model, layout etc should we pick?ย ๐Ÿค”

Is low mileage mote important than year?

Lots of questions!

So we are looking for something primarily for 2 adults, oh is 6'2" and well built, I'm 5'2" and ehhem, a little well built! 11st

We are wondering how 2 adults fit on a r+r bed? How comfortable are they?ย 

Should we be looking for a back kitchen to have a bigger bed?

Are the pop tops only for children? Could I sleep up there if needed?

What about the height of the pop top, is it an issue?ย 

What are the pros and cons of a high top vs pop top?

Do we need 4wd?ย 

What are the main things to consider?

Any advice is greatly appreciated ๐Ÿ™ย 

TIA

ย 

ย 

Hello Lina,

ย 

Welcome to the Forum.

ย 

Lots of questions, so lots of reading for you to do !

ย 

I am sure you will get lots of answers, but mainly the answers are down to your own preferences.

I suggest you consider carefully the use to which you will put your van, as that will allow you to make difficult decisions more easily.

Budget is key. Conversions are not cheap, and a pop top will add considerably to the cost.

ย 

My quick summary to your questions.

Rock and Roll beds tend to be narrow, although wider ones are becoming available.

Do you intend to buy a van and have it converted, or buy one already converted?

With a Pop Top consider your ability and willingness to get up into the top.

Pop Tops tend to lift at the front which is not very useful with a rear kitchen.

Coastal car parks (at least where I live) often have height restrictions; a pop top can prevent your access, a high top certainly will.

4wd, depends on your intended use. Imho, not needed; just research your grass pitch campsites well and pray for good weather.

ย 

My configuration is V6, no pop top and with a rear kitchen; so I do have a bias.

Others will have an equally valid bias in favour of side kitchens, etc., etc.

ย 

Go and inspect a lot of vehicles with different configurations. try not to buy the first one you see !

ย 

Good Luck.

ย 

As an afterthought. Investigate where you will have the vehicle serviced.

Most official Toyota dealers won't service it as it is an import ! But some will, so it's worth checking your local Toyota dealer.

Hello Lina, I'm also a newbie so have done a lot of research on choosing a camper. In the end we have gone for a Wellhouse conversion on a series 2 Alphard. Like you we were a bit concerned about bed width as I'm no slim jim but we went to check it out at the factory (who will give you a full on factory tour so you can see them being built) and to be honest I think the bed will be ok. I would recommend getting a mattress topper of some sort to even out the bumps. However we've also chosen an awning with a sleep annexe just in case we need a bit more space (Outdoor revolution cayman low, we got a deal at a show for the awning, annexe, groundsheet and carpet for the price of the awning so definitely consider visiting a show before you buy). You can sleep in the pop top but most have a weight limit of around 11st. We decided against because it's a pricy option plus if you need a pee in the night it's going to be a pain getting in and out using a ladder.

Our base vehicle is a 59k series 2, 3.5V6, 2008, and in my opinion condition trumps mileage. This is a big heavy vehicle and I think the 2.4 may be a tad underpowered as the fuel economy figures seem to be very similar for both engines which suggests the 2.4 has to work harder to move the thing. I've heard that the 2.4 hybrid may be prone to more issues but no doubt you should get more advice on that from owners of them.

We've gone for a side conversion as I didn't fancy standing outside at the back of the van with the rear door up to use the kitchen. However if you do get a side conversion I would say a pop top is pretty crucial but they are expensive so it will depend on your budget. You don't need four wheel drive unless you are going offroad.

Again this is my opinion butย  would suggest paying a bit more for a van conversion from a recognised dealer should give you the reassurance that the base vehicle has been carefully selected for its good condition before conversion.

Good luck

Richard