Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Roof Aerial Fitting

I am looking for someone in the Exeter(ish) area who can fit a roof aerial to give my DAB+ a better chance. I have a stick-on screen variety at the moment and DAB isn't much cop in these 'ere parts.

Also, I'm not convinced about the effectiveness of the FM aerial in the rear windows - I often lose signal momentarily or get interference. So I'm happy to try a roof aerial for both formats.

Apologies is this is an incorrect post. Happy to be redirected / have hand slapped.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Torq2u said:

I am looking for someone in the Exeter(ish) area who can fit a roof aerial to give my DAB+ a better chance. I have a stick-on screen variety at the moment and DAB isn't much cop in these 'ere parts.

Also, I'm not convinced about the effectiveness of the FM aerial in the rear windows - I often lose signal momentarily or get interference. So I'm happy to try a roof aerial for both formats.

Apologies is this is an incorrect post. Happy to be redirected / have hand slapped.

Hello Graeme,

When you speak of FM reception, and the window aerials, are you using an OEM Head Unit ?

If so, are you aware that the OEM units will only receive Radio 2 on FM (analogue) without a band expander ?

• Like 1

For most DAB frequencies you should install a 'FIN' type aerial fitted to the roof (rearmost) of the vehicle where there is less vehicle electrical interference but be prepared for a shock as the FIN'S are quite expensive + fitting... I have fitted several over the last few years, and they do sort out the Dab Radio reception issue and can help head units that contain Sat Nav IT intelligence.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rojie said:

Hello Graeme,

When you speak of FM reception, and the window aerials, are you using an OEM Head Unit ?

If so, are you aware that the OEM units will only receive Radio 2 on FM (analogue) without a band expander ?

Thanks for your response, Roger. Yes, the band expander drove me up the wall (not literally!) so got a Sony unit which has not been the foolproof solution I had hoped.

4 hours ago, ThuMentaliss said:

For most DAB frequencies you should install a 'FIN' type aerial fitted to the roof (rearmost) of the vehicle where there is less vehicle electrical interference but be prepared for a shock as the FIN'S are quite expensive + fitting... I have fitted several over the last few years, and they do sort out the Dab Radio reception issue and can help head units that contain Sat Nav IT intelligence.

Thank you for your response, Larry. So, next time I visit my daughter in Worthing ......

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, GingerMonster said:

There is a chap called Steve who does the DAB installations at Topsham car sales (where we bought our Alphie from). He is ever so helpful and I have no doubt he will be able to sort it for you. 

Thanks for that helpful tip, Angela

• Like 1