Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Bench Seat For Rear Conversion

In our rear conversion camper, one thing that’s not quite right for us is the bed arrangements. We use the two middle seats opened out as shown in the photos below. The issue with these is that we have to carry foam fillers to level out the seats and meet the height of the kitchen bench padding. The foam is bulky and a bit of a pain.

One idea I had was to replace the two Toyota seats with a bench seat, i.e. with flat foam padding. I guess it can be described as a 2/3’s rock n roll bed. The bench seat would always face backwards and attach to the existing moveable rails so the seat can be slid backwards and forwards. We don’t carry passengers in the seats so seat belts not needed.

Has anybody come across such a bench seat that might work as described please?

Many thanks.

image.png.938ac03ba9c5d9498f61a2cd049a0354.png

image.png.d77331696966b8627e847c4833d0e0ff.png

3 hours ago, Geralt said:

In our rear conversion camper, one thing that’s not quite right for us is the bed arrangements. We use the two middle seats opened out as shown in the photos below. The issue with these is that we have to carry foam fillers to level out the seats and meet the height of the kitchen bench padding. The foam is bulky and a bit of a pain.

One idea I had was to replace the two Toyota seats with a bench seat, i.e. with flat foam padding. I guess it can be described as a 2/3’s rock n roll bed. The bench seat would always face backwards and attach to the existing moveable rails so the seat can be slid backwards and forwards. We don’t carry passengers in the seats so seat belts not needed.

Has anybody come across such a bench seat that might work as described please?

Many thanks.

image.png.938ac03ba9c5d9498f61a2cd049a0354.png

image.png.d77331696966b8627e847c4833d0e0ff.png

Hello Gerald,

Just a word of caution here.

Food for thought, based on my opinions.

Firstly, I doubt any bench seat will have Type Approval. You may not care, but your Insurers almost certainly will !

Regarding no seat belts. Almost certainly an MOT fail.

The MOT tester isn't interested in whether the seats are used for travelling, or not.

All they care about is that 'correct' seatbelts are fitted and fully functional.

Your current seats should have lap belts, the minimum requirement for rear facing seats.

Your bench seat, in my opinion, would need them too.

I would check with an official MOT tester before proceeding.