Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Clunky closing mechanism rear sliding door

Hi,

I have a 2005 Alphard 2.4 and have just replaced the cable and retractor mechanism due to the original one peeling off the cable coating and jamming the pulley.

All seems ok in terms of the mechanism except when closing there is a loud clunking noise as the rear locking mechanism takes hold and puuls it in to the frame. It wasnt there before. Ive greased the u-bolt and what I can see but doesn't seem to make any difference. Is there some sort of adjustment I am missing.

Also the power mechanism doesnt seem to activate (open or close from the outside) works fine from inside and from the dash button.

Any clues?

Hi aestivator... 

By coincidence I've just had my remote cable unit replaced on my rear n/s passenger door (the cable had tangled and snapped) and I had to take it back because the soft-close was at first very clunky and then it failed totally along with the remote opening and closing.... It seems that the soft-close mechanism had been disturbed and that was causing both faults.... Following a slight adjustment everything is now working fine. 

If the problem persists, let me know and I'm sure my friendly mechanic would be happy to talk to you about it. 

• Like 1

Thanks Derek. I didn't realise there was a soft closing mechanism but that makes sense. I should be able to make the adjustment myself if someone knows how to do it.

Looks like you are a long way from me.

Hi Aestivator,

I recently replace my sliding door cable and had a similar issue. I removed the door cover again and the cause was one "end of the Bowden cable wasn't seated correctly in its cup" . It was only out by 3 to 4 mm but enough to make the door noisy and stop working correctly. I seated the end of the cable into its cup and it did the trick. Hope this helps.

• Like 2

Thanks Ian. I'm sure it is something like that. I will have a look later, I'm just about to a fit a new actuator motor so still got trim off.

Thanks for your help, I will report back onced issue resolved.

Regards,

John

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2023 at 6:47 PM, Derek G. Marshall said:

Hi aestivator... 

By coincidence I've just had my remote cable unit replaced on my rear n/s passenger door (the cable had tangled and snapped) and I had to take it back because the soft-close was at first very clunky and then it failed totally along with the remote opening and closing.... It seems that the soft-close mechanism had been disturbed and that was causing both faults.... Following a slight adjustment everything is now working fine. 

If the problem persists, let me know and I'm sure my friendly mechanic would be happy to talk to you about it. 

Could you let me know where to purchase new cable etc

It seems that the cable seating was the problem as per Ian's post above. I jiggled it about a few times and the clunking has now stopped (been a couple of weeks now so I guess I'm in the clear).

Relatively simple job to replace the cable gear and I got it from here https://gt4-play.co.uk/shop/alphard-power-sliding-door-cables-genuine-toyota Genuine part and quick service.

The door actuator if you need it came from https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175754591858

More tricky to fit as there is a wierd screw arrangement that I ended up having to cut the heads off and replacing with a nut and bolt. Works fine now though. Contact me if you are doing it and I will talk you through the issue in more detail.