Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Thinking of buying - help please

Hiya all,

As the header says I'm thinking of buying an Alphard, but I (we) really need to actually see one first and as there's going to be two drivers if we can both drive it. Is there anyone out there in the Cardigan area (sa43) who owns one and would be happy for us to have a look at it and play with the driver's seat? 

Thanks in advance, Colin.

8 hours ago, hobbit said:

Hiya all,

As the header says I'm thinking of buying an Alphard, but I (we) really need to actually see one first and as there's going to be two drivers if we can both drive it. Is there anyone out there in the Cardigan area (sa43) who owns one and would be happy for us to have a look at it and play with the driver's seat? 

Thanks in advance, Colin.

Hello Colin,

Welcome to the Forum.

Hi all,

I suspect this should go into a sub-category but I've no idea where. 

I found a base level Alphard in the area and it's so nearly what is wanted. Trying it out has raised one deal-killing question though - my partner is large due to a hernia and when the driver's seat was moved fully back they were just rubbing on the steering wheel. 

The car we tried had the basic "tilt" mechanism only, no telescopic, so if a bit of extra distance towards the dash could be coaxed out of it we'd be fine. Another possibility could be remount the seat an inch or so back, but I have no idea if that is possible. 

Does anyone out there have experience of both types of column and the wheel positioning and can tell me roughly how much plus and minus from the non-telescopic version?

Again, thank you in advance for the help, Colin.

42 minutes ago, hobbit said:

Hi all,

I suspect this should go into a sub-category but I've no idea where. 

I found a base level Alphard in the area and it's so nearly what is wanted. Trying it out has raised one deal-killing question though - my partner is large due to a hernia and when the driver's seat was moved fully back they were just rubbing on the steering wheel. 

The car we tried had the basic "tilt" mechanism only, no telescopic, so if a bit of extra distance towards the dash could be coaxed out of it we'd be fine. Another possibility could be remount the seat an inch or so back, but I have no idea if that is possible. 

Does anyone out there have experience of both types of column and the wheel positioning and can tell me roughly how much plus and minus from the non-telescopic version?

Again, thank you in advance for the help, Colin.

I have a top of the range, Gen 1 facelift, with all the mod cons.

It has tilt steering but not 'telescopic' as you call it.

Maybe the Gen 2 models do. but I doubt it; but try one of those.

I would strongly advise against modifying the mounting, or remounting, the seat further back.

Safety being the issue, and, maybe, Insurance and MOT issues.

Thanks for the reply.

Seat remount was a last resort idea, and as you say there are other considerations.

I have my eye on a car I'm interested in, got the electric seat I need, well spec'd and hybrid too, and it's claiming to have both rake and reach adjustment, but you've now planted the worm of doubt as to if it actually has. Cheers LOL. The vehicle is over 200 miles away, so not something to pop round the corner and see, so I'm trying to find out everything I can on here and if it's worth getting in contact and starting talks.

One other idea has been floated - a smaller diameter wheel would also solve the problem, although I suspect we'd loose some or all of the controls. Has anyone done this? 

Cheers, Colin.

11 minutes ago, hobbit said:

Thanks for the reply.

Seat remount was a last resort idea, and as you say there are other considerations.

I have my eye on a car I'm interested in, got the electric seat I need, well spec'd and hybrid too, and it's claiming to have both rake and reach adjustment, but you've now planted the worm of doubt as to if it actually has. Cheers LOL. The vehicle is over 200 miles away, so not something to pop round the corner and see, so I'm trying to find out everything I can on here and if it's worth getting in contact and starting talks.

One other idea has been floated - a smaller diameter wheel would also solve the problem, although I suspect we'd loose some or all of the controls. Has anyone done this? 

Cheers, Colin.

If it is 2008 or later, the Gen 2 model, it may have steering reach adjustment.

There are times when I wish mine did; but it doesn't.

To be honest I have no idea on which gen it is, I don't know if I'm allowed to send a link on here but I'll try it and maybe you can tell me what it really is I'm looking at as although I have 2016 for registration I can't find a manufacture year.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202305026932657?sort=price-asc&make=Toyota&model=Alphard&page=4&advertising-location=at_cars&fromsra

1 hour ago, hobbit said:

To be honest I have no idea on which gen it is, I don't know if I'm allowed to send a link on here but I'll try it and maybe you can tell me what it really is I'm looking at as although I have 2016 for registration I can't find a manufacture year.

OK Colin,

YOU MUST READ THE LAST LINE OF THIS 

First off, it does not have a 2016 registration.

It has 2006, and that is because it is a 2006 vehicle.

It appears to be a Gen 1 facelift, with a 4 speed gearbox.

It also appears to have a nearside middle row seat that probably comes out of the vehicle to assist with ingress for a disabled person.

If it is one, they are known as Welcab seats. this could be really, really helpful.

If you intend to use the vehicle for a travelling with a disabled passenger, ENSURE the seat operates as it should.

If you do not intend to use it as such it may be better to look elsewhere. Why ?

I believe they do not slide forwards and backwards, as most seats do. You may not care.

Maintaining the seat, or having it maintained, may not be an easy task.

These vehicles probably carry a premium price, as they are rare.

Is the 114k odometer reading miles or kilometres ?

Does the speedometer read mph or kph ?

As the seller does not even know what year the vehicle was made; I would be extremely cautious.

Have them send you a copy of the auction sheet, which is a legal requirement for the vehicle to be exported from Japan.

Personally, I would not by a vehicle like this without seeing, driving, and having it inspected by an independent mechanic.

Links are generally OK, but I am going to review the seller and send you a private message.

Smaller diameter steering wheel ? Hhmm ?

The driver's airbag is in the steering wheel. Despite all the other airbags you may have; going with that option would need extremely detailed research!

NOW IF YOU ARE WILLING TO DRIVE TO COVENTRY NEXT WEEKEND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO VIEW ABOUT 100, ALL IN ONE PLACE, ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

The club annual meeting is taking place. There is a thread about it on this Forum.

22 hours ago, Rojie said:

I have a top of the range, Gen 1 facelift, with all the mod cons.

It has tilt steering but not 'telescopic' as you call it.

Maybe the Gen 2 models do. but I doubt it; but try one of those.

I would strongly advise against modifying the mounting, or remounting, the seat further back.

Safety being the issue, and, maybe, Insurance and MOT issues.

Hi. I have a basic 2008 Vellfire 2.4 AH20. I have just checked my steering wheel and it has tilt up and down, and is telescopic in and out too!

Hope this is a help!!!

John Harrison. Wirral.

Hi all, 

Many thanks for all the information that's come my way from everybody, it's all been a great help, but sadly it looks like I won't be joining the Owner's club.

Yes, I was aware that the ones I've been looking at were Welcab equipped, that's the main reason I was looking at Alphards, I have a need to get an elderly, movement limited person in and out and a partner who can drive without the steering wheel rubbing, but it would seem that the combination of equipment that I want isn't available in my price range and although I enjoyed the half hour test drive I had, I can't justify buying a vehicle that isn't capable of being driven by half the drivers in the household and, at the moment, I don't seem able to find a car that's right, with the Welcab equipment and the adjustable steering reach, let alone in my price band. That doesn't mean there's not one out there, just I haven't found it.

But while waiting for the Unicorn to appear it's going to be touring the local car lots to see what's available that can be driven by both of us and has the possibility of fitting something like the Welcab seat. This may take a while....

In the meantime thank you again to all who responded,

Colin.