Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Large Alloy wheel size

Hi guy, my first post 

I’m Dan.

bought my first Alphard, 2008 2.4 fresh import. 
mom wanting to know how big can I go with wheels, First pics my new Alphard and others are the wheel size I’m liking.

any help would be great.

BF25F2E7-000F-4D25-B125-BF67FBFBEF04.jpeg

4C615D9D-231F-4C08-8E23-C9A864851E3F.jpeg

BC273404-E711-4B29-A97E-787E0FF3CA03.jpeg

EA8F3BC8-D0D6-433A-928C-210CC94A63D7.webp

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Alphi said:

Hi guy, my first post 

I’m Dan.

bought my first Alphard, 2008 2.4 fresh import. 
mom wanting to know how big can I go with wheels, First pics my new Alphard and others are the wheel size I’m liking.

any help would be great.

BF25F2E7-000F-4D25-B125-BF67FBFBEF04.jpeg

4C615D9D-231F-4C08-8E23-C9A864851E3F.jpeg

BC273404-E711-4B29-A97E-787E0FF3CA03.jpeg

EA8F3BC8-D0D6-433A-928C-210CC94A63D7.webp

Hello Daniel,

FORGET IT.

Please read the Forum before you make any changes.

You have a facelifted Gen 1. One of the photos is a Gen 1. The other is Gen 2.

Many members who own lowered Alphies complain of 'grounding' issues and harshness of the ride.

Lowering can be achieved with wheel/tyre change combinations and/or suspension modifications.

My guess is, the above vehicles features both.

Changing your mind after each course of action is likely to cost you dearly; certainly over a thousand for each approach.

The first pot-hole or 'sleeping policemen' you encounter will demonstrate my point.

Whatever you decide. GOOD LUCK.

Please read what Forum members have to say before parting with your cash.

4 minutes ago, Rojie said:

Hello Daniel,

FORGET IT.

Many members who own lowered Alphies complain of 'grounding' issues and harshness of the ride.

Lowering can be achieved with wheel/tyre change combinations and/or suspension modifications.

Changing your mind after each course of action is likely to cost you dearly; certainly over a thousand for each approach.

The first pot-hole or 'sleeping policemen' you rencounter will demonstrate my point.

Thankyou for your reply, I was going to go down the air ride route with wheels but will look into others experiences.

thanks again

dan

2 minutes ago, sax0tone said:

I have a 2003 alphard, just reading the thread, can you put air suspension on our allies, would be good for camping on uneven ground, 

Tony

Yes, there’s loads of companies who’ll be able to create kits for the Alphard.

I was quoted £4000 approx

4 minutes ago, sax0tone said:

I have a 2003 alphard, just reading the thread, can you put air suspension on our allies, would be good for camping on uneven ground, 

Tony

7D7748A9-9475-4556-8068-70AF68C472C9.png

You may or may not have read my posts regarding altering Alphard wheels/suspension. The Alphard you have just purchased looks identical to my own. You would be be best spending your money on converting yours to a camper using one of the converters[mentioned on the forums posts etc.]My personal and the Wifes opinion is that the ride and noise levels is/are excellent and certainly do not produce the teeth rattling of a hard suspension and elastic band tyres.

But of course"everyone to their own".

16 hours ago, c.r. turner said:

i would say 20"      22" will fit but the ride will be very hard ,my vellfire is lowered 2" runs 18" looks good without any issues just go slow over those speed bumps !!!!!!!! good luck

Any pictures 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2023 at 9:24 PM, Rojie said:

Hello Daniel,

FORGET IT.

The first pot-hole or 'sleeping policemen' you encounter will demonstrate my point.

Hi. My 2008 Vellfire 2.4 had the wrong tyres on it when I bought it. It had 205x 55 17s. It was grounding on most things. I put the correct 215x 60x 17s on it and now, no  problem!

It doesn't seem like much of a change, but I'm also getting 5 mph more than the speedo was showing; checked by GPS. I fitted a cruise control lever to my Velly (They are plug & play for £7; all rhe wiring is already in the loom!) All Japanese cruise controls are factory set st 68mph. Mine now does 68mph; before, with the wrong tyres, it was doing only 63mph!

Usually, if you want bigger wheels, you need lower tyre wall. If wheels change from 17"x 60mm tyre wall, to 18" (25mm more diameter) then the tyre wall depth has to reduce by 1" (25mm) to 18" x 35mm. This will hopefully keep the outer tyre diameter the same, but give a bigger wheel. Anything larger will require a lot of hassle with suspension, etc. Itcwill also make the car go faster than the speedo shows and make you liable to get speeding fines!!!

The lower tyre wall will also give a stiffer, noisier ride.

Hope this has been a help?

• Like 1