Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Vellfire handsfree steering wheel controls

Hi all,

I am new here and I have just purchased a 2009 Vellfire which has been converted, which I love. However, whenever I make or take phone calls, no one seems to be able to hear me. Also the handsfree controls on the steering wheel do not work either. As part of the conversion an Android unit was installed although unsure of make and model. Should these controls work? Or is it that they are always disabled after conversion? I cannot seem to find out from the company I bought it from and Toyota have no interest as it is an import. Does anyone else have this issue? Or can you provide any information related to it? I am from Ipswich, Suffolk; does anyone know a company / garage that may be able to do something about it? Or do I have to just use

my phone on speaker instead?

Thanks everyone.

Hi Garry,

I do not have my Alphard as yet but from previous experience (I have fitted all sorts of aftermarket stereos to dozens of cars) if callers cannot hear you then perhaps an external microphone hasn't been fitted to the android stereo? That is the case with my current daily driver so when I answer the call on the stereo the sound goes through the phone. Can you see a microphone poking out from anywhere on the dash or up above around the sun visors? You may need to pull the stereo out to see if you can find a Mic port on the back of it.

With regards to the steering wheel controls, I believe (and I may be wrong as I've only done a tiny amount of research) the 2009 Alphard works on a CANBUS system for the controls and the stereo may not be CANBUS control compatible. There may be aftermarket harnesses like Connects2 available to sort this.

Again, my I haven't even got my Alphard yet, so I may be wide of the mark with my suggestions.

Regards,
Dave 

Thanks Dave, I know that there is no external microphone installed in the aux port on the back of the stereo, as I confirmed this with the supplier I bought the Vellfire from. I, rather stupidly, assumed that whatever system they installed would be compatible with the system in the van. and that the van would have a microphone installed because of having the steering wheel controls. Can you recommend a microphone that could be used? There seems to be quite a few from brands I have never heard of, so unsure what would be any good. I know the stereo requires some of the dash to be removed in order to pull it out, not something I have done before, so perhaps once I get a microphone, I will have to find someone to install it for me, unless there are any videos available on how I can do this myself? Would need to check the internet I think.

They said that no one has ever complained about this not working before, but that does not mean anything really :) I would need to find out the make / model of the stereo to see if I can find this out regarding CANBUS. I can get around it, as using Siri on the iPhone will be ok, but it obviously will not go through the speakers.

3 hours ago, Garry Alden said:

Thanks Dave, I know that there is no external microphone installed in the aux port on the back of the stereo, as I confirmed this with the supplier I bought the Vellfire from. I, rather stupidly, assumed that whatever system they installed would be compatible with the system in the van. and that the van would have a microphone installed because of having the steering wheel controls. Can you recommend a microphone that could be used? There seems to be quite a few from brands I have never heard of, so unsure what would be any good. I know the stereo requires some of the dash to be removed in order to pull it out, not something I have done before, so perhaps once I get a microphone, I will have to find someone to install it for me, unless there are any videos available on how I can do this myself? Would need to check the internet I think.

They said that no one has ever complained about this not working before, but that does not mean anything really :) I would need to find out the make / model of the stereo to see if I can find this out regarding CANBUS. I can get around it, as using Siri on the iPhone will be ok, but it obviously will not go through the speakers.

I don't know whether the Generation 2 model uses Canbus for entertainment, Chris.ac will, but I do know that many upgraded head units can introduce some loss of OEM functionality.

Thanks Rojie. In that case, I will look at installing an external microphone into the back of the unit to see if that will work. Otherwise I will continue to use my iPhone and Siri to handle any handsfree activity. I suppose that is one of the drawbacks of buying an imported vehicle. This is my first time ever doing it, so I have to adjust my expectations :)

20 series steering controls are 3 wires Gnd, and SW1 and SW2, using resistive differences to determine which keys are pressed.

The microphone is situated near the dome lights, but this is unlikely to be connected up to the aftermarket unit - should be easy to do though, as it is just a condenser.

Usually aftermarket, they will mount the mic on the steering wheel shroud.

I will hazard that they did not connect the right side steering controls to the new headunit, so you only have the leftcontrols working.

steercontrol.png

Edited by Rojie
Rephrased slightly