Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Air conditioning

We picked up our 2006 hybrid yesterday.  During MOT it was picked up that air con was blowing warm air.  They re gassed the AC and said all should be good on our run home.  Well when we got home about 2 hours later it was still running warm.  We turned it on this morning and it was cooler although nothing near as cool as our current car.   Is this just the difference in the age of car?  If we set is on low in our car it is freezing in the Alphard it is slightly cooler. 

I am just worried there is another issue with the AC and I have been told that that AC cools the hybrid battery which has made me worry more.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

14 hours ago, Angelaf said:

We picked up our 2006 hybrid yesterday.  During MOT it was picked up that air con was blowing warm air.  They re gassed the AC and said all should be good on our run home.  Well when we got home about 2 hours later it was still running warm.  We turned it on this morning and it was cooler although nothing near as cool as our current car.   Is this just the difference in the age of car?  If we set is on low in our car it is freezing in the Alphard it is slightly cooler. 

I am just worried there is another issue with the AC and I have been told that that AC cools the hybrid battery which has made me worry more.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Most  'better' ac places will pressure test the system to ensure there are no leaks before recharging it.

There is no point in recharging an ac system that is known to leak.

The leak should be located and repaired first.

Did the dealer you bought from conduct the MOT ?

A two hour run should produce an efficient ac, if all is well.

• Like 1

I believe Lee will suggest you contact the dealer; especially since they re-gassed it (supposedly) to correct a fault.

It would appear they failed, or took the cheap hopeful route to appease you.

Do you have any sales literature, advert, or anything that mentions the AC as functional, or not.

As a retail sale you are protected by various consumer laws.

If they are forgetful of this, maybe they just need a polite persuasive reminder before you contact Trading Standards.

I find Trust Pilot very useful for publishing (truthful) accounts of poor business practices and behaviours (although t5his seldom produces any 'progress'.

Any decent AC place will be able to re-gas it. The better ones will also have the equipment to locate a leak (using a special dyed gas).

However, a competent repair shop may be a little more difficult to locate, assuming one is needed.

Some Toyota dealers, but by no means many, will work on an imported Alphard; so it is worth checking around your locale for peace of mind.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

Thank you.  Long story but we know the van had sat for 9 months on a drive and the garage thought the issue was caused by not being used for so long.  We were at the MOT garage when the MOT was carried out and it was them who said it should kick in after about 20 mins.  The dealer is happy to sort but he is a long way from me and it would be easier for me to take local and sort out rather than go all that way and wait.  
I will see what he has to say this week.

43 minutes ago, Angelaf said:

Thank you.  Long story but we know the van had sat for 9 months on a drive and the garage thought the issue was caused by not being used for so long.  We were at the MOT garage when the MOT was carried out and it was them who said it should kick in after about 20 mins.  The dealer is happy to sort but he is a long way from me and it would be easier for me to take local and sort out rather than go all that way and wait.  
I will see what he has to say this week.

Hhmm.

My aircon works after about 2 minutes, not 20.

I have other vehicles with aircon and they all start, more or less, immediately too.

After nine months, without use, some of the seals may have dried out.

I would hope the dealer would fix it for free, I doubt a local mechanic will; but, obviously, that's your choice.

Good Luck

It's understandable that you're concerned about the performance of the air conditioning system in your 2006 hybrid vehicle, especially given the importance of AC in maintaining the comfort and potentially cooling the hybrid battery. Here are some information and suggestions to help address your concerns:
- Possible AC Issues
- Hybrid Battery Cooling
- Age of the Car

Thank you all.  I have spoken to a local garage and they are going to check it for me.  Given that is has stood still for 9 months he is going to run diagnostics and carry out a service.  I would be happier having it checked, if there is anything major I can go back to the dealer.