Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Flat battery

Hi all I’m hoping that someone will be able to help me please. A few months back my Alphard battery started to die when I didn’t use my car for a few days so I replaced the battery with like for like. The fault was still there so called the RAC who said that I had been given a duff battery so I took it back and got another brand new battery. The problem was still happening I took my car to my normal garage that I have used for years they checked it out and said that the alternator was at fault. It was giving a good charge at first but when left for a while the reading it was giving was not constant and was dropping off. I had the alternator replaced with a brand new one and all was fine for a short time. I had about a thirty mile journey to my son stopped for an hour or two had a few miles run around to the shop and back stopped again for an hour or two. When driving back home after about five miles the battery warning light was coming on and off intermittent. I carried on with my journey to try and get back home but after another 15 - 20 miles the engine management light ABS light and a few others started to come on I pulled over and as I did the car just died. I tried to turn it back on but nothing after waiting for two hours for RAC it started first time and was driven onto a flatbed. We got back home the guy drove it off the flatbed no problem but when I went to start it again to get it onto my driveway it only just turned over. I checked the fuses today they all looked fine I put the key in and when I turned it it was completely dead so I turned the key off then back on this time all the lights came on as they should and it started no problem I gave it a bit of a rev then after about 40 seconds heard a click like a relay switching the battery warning light came on then it died again. I had checked the battery earlier and it was fully charged. If anyone can help me please I would greatly appreciate it. Sorry for the long winded description. Thank you. 

7 hours ago, Brian.c said:

Hi all I’m hoping that someone will be able to help me please. A few months back my Alphard battery started to die when I didn’t use my car for a few days so I replaced the battery with like for like. The fault was still there so called the RAC who said that I had been given a duff battery so I took it back and got another brand new battery. The problem was still happening I took my car to my normal garage that I have used for years they checked it out and said that the alternator was at fault. It was giving a good charge at first but when left for a while the reading it was giving was not constant and was dropping off. I had the alternator replaced with a brand new one and all was fine for a short time. I had about a thirty mile journey to my son stopped for an hour or two had a few miles run around to the shop and back stopped again for an hour or two. When driving back home after about five miles the battery warning light was coming on and off intermittent. I carried on with my journey to try and get back home but after another 15 - 20 miles the engine management light ABS light and a few others started to come on I pulled over and as I did the car just died. I tried to turn it back on but nothing after waiting for two hours for RAC it started first time and was driven onto a flatbed. We got back home the guy drove it off the flatbed no problem but when I went to start it again to get it onto my driveway it only just turned over. I checked the fuses today they all looked fine I put the key in and when I turned it it was completely dead so I turned the key off then back on this time all the lights came on as they should and it started no problem I gave it a bit of a rev then after about 40 seconds heard a click like a relay switching the battery warning light came on then it died again. I had checked the battery earlier and it was fully charged. If anyone can help me please I would greatly appreciate it. Sorry for the long winded description. Thank you. 

Hello Brian,

As the cold weather approaches you must ensure your battery remains fully charged at all times; otherwise electrical gremlins will start to appear.

If you don't use your van every day, set up a trickle charger to keep it topped up. I use a CTEK.

( NB. The CTEK will perform an alternator test, although I don't know how 'good' that test is).

Batteries need to be tested under heavy load, otherwise the output voltage will be much higher and misleading.

Halfords or Kwik Fit can perform the test. Probably at no charge.

With a new battery and a new alternator, it seems safe to assume the 'problem' lies elsewhere.

Ensure all your battery connections are tight; no movement at the terminals between leads and terminal.

Check for any loose earth leads.

Ensure your room/mood lights are off.

Check all your lights, in the dark, and ensure they all all fully off.

Does the clock need resetting, or the windows after these issues ?

Good luck.

If you do have a camper, get the leisure battery tested (or disconnected).

8 hours ago, ThuMentaliss said:

Have you a campervan  conversion, if so check out the split relay unit that might be taking too much of its share of voltage to your start battery.

Hi thanks for your responses. No this is the standard car no conversion. I have checked out all the fuses I can find and the cable connections are all good. I can’t see anything obvious and I do regularly check fluids and battery. Is there any relay for the alternator or more fuses other than the two units by the battery please?

3 hours ago, Brian.c said:

Hi thanks for your responses. No this is the standard car no conversion. I have checked out all the fuses I can find and the cable connections are all good. I can’t see anything obvious and I do regularly check fluids and battery. Is there any relay for the alternator or more fuses other than the two units by the battery please?

I think fuses may be a red herring.

Fuses don't normally go intermittent.

There are more fuse boxes, and not necessarily easy to get at !

Unless you need to check specific fuses, imho, randomly removing and re inserting fuses is likely to potentially do more harm than good.

On 1/4/2024 at 2:46 AM, Brian.c said:

I gave it a bit of a rev then after about 40 seconds heard a click like a relay switching the battery warning light came on then it died again.

I sympathise but there's a lot going on there. Given the intermittent nature of the problem and the fact that you've replaced both battery and alternator, it sounds like a dodgy connection or earth somewhere.

On 1/4/2024 at 2:32 PM, Brian.c said:

Is there any relay for the alternator or more fuses other than the two units by the battery please?

No relay as far as I can see. If you PM me, I'll send you the charging circuit diagram.

7 hours ago, Geralt said:

No relay as far as I can see. If you PM me, I'll send you the charging circuit diagram.

Hi Geralt sorry for not understanding the short hand but what does “PM me” mean please. 

Hi all thank you for your help with this matter I have found out today that although I had a new alternator and battery the alternator was faulty which in turn caused the battery to go down I have a new battery now and I am getting a new alternator fitted hopefully tomorrow. Thank heavens for warranty. Once again thank you very much for your help.