Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Alphard 2.4 Petrol 2007

The handbook states to use oils compliant with API SL/EC, SJ/EC or ILSAC GF-3. In the moderate climate we have in the UK SAE 10W-30, 5W-20 or 5W30 viscosities are recommended. Actually these days most reputable oil manufacturers will be on ILSAC GF-6 and API SP standards. In my opinion an oil from a reputable manufacturer, probably of 5W-30 viscosity would good to use.

I believe the recommended oil change interval is 15,000 kms but am happy to be corrected on this. I think this is very conservative.  Again, in my opinion, I think 15,000 miles between changes is more realistic.

I hope this helps.

On 1/16/2024 at 1:02 PM, Charlie Brown said:

The handbook states to use oils compliant with API SL/EC, SJ/EC or ILSAC GF-3. In the moderate climate we have in the UK SAE 10W-30, 5W-20 or 5W30 viscosities are recommended. Actually these days most reputable oil manufacturers will be on ILSAC GF-6 and API SP standards. In my opinion an oil from a reputable manufacturer, probably of 5W-30 viscosity would good to use.

I believe the recommended oil change interval is 15,000 kms but am happy to be corrected on this. I think this is very conservative.  Again, in my opinion, I think 15,000 miles between changes is more realistic.

I hope this helps.

Many thanks Charlie 

I concur, 5w30 fully synth.  1 year/8-10k miles between services is ok.  I believe the official intervals are less (maybe 6 monthly/5k miles), but with oil being far better now than it was back then it's arguably unnecessary.  Use good oil and keep the levels good you shouldn't have any problems.

Hi Pipsyp

Many thanks for reply it is helpful.Have been told by some folks 5w-30 semi synthetic and add a bottle of redex every month and every 5k miles change oil.

So will take you Alphard guys advice fully synthetic it will be, as matter of interest you say good oil would you recommend one.I notice some are C2 and some are C3.Thanks again.

• 2 months later...
On 1/20/2024 at 3:25 PM, Brian1957 said:

Hi Pipsyp

Many thanks for reply it is helpful.Have been told by some folks 5w-30 semi synthetic and add a bottle of redex every month and every 5k miles change oil.

So will take you Alphard guys advice fully synthetic it will be, as matter of interest you say good oil would you recommend one.I notice some are C2 and some are C3.Thanks again.

Sorry Brian, holy thread revival but realised I didn't respond!

Opie Oils is a good one, as if you put the reg/vehicle details in, it will come up with a list of oils they sell that they seem compatible.  TBH, anything 5w30 grade that's fully synth will likely do, particularly if you plan to change the oil every year/few thousand miles.

From what I read C2 tends to provide better fuel economy than C3, but C3 is designed with emissions systems (DPFs etc) in mind.  I don't think either will make much difference......believe main dealer Toyota oil is now C3 for what it's worth.

Hi Pipsyp

In book I am told it says semi synthetic, 5-30.

Toyota garage said semi.

Not changed it yet but beginning to have thoughts on which is correct now.i have a bottle of Toyota 5 30 but is semi and am unsure now.

It'll be fine Brian, so long as that's what it's filled with already.  The important thing really is not to mix the two (semi and fully), in very small amounts not a problem but anything larger than a top up between oil changes it could be problematic.

The reality is that fully synthetic oil is more modern and will always outperform a semi synthetic (for one as it degrades less quickly).  I don't know for sure but whilst it's possible semi synthetic may have been the recommendation when these cars were new, I'm pretty confident any garage you took it to nowadays would put (or recommend to put) fully synthetic oil in it, I'd expect including most Toyota dealers (those that would service an Alphard).

Hope that makes sense?

1 hour ago, pipsyp said:

It'll be fine Brian, so long as that's what it's filled with already.  The important thing really is not to mix the two (semi and fully), in very small amounts not a problem but anything larger than a top up between oil changes it could be problematic.

The reality is that fully synthetic oil is more modern and will always outperform a semi synthetic (for one as it degrades less quickly).  I don't know for sure but whilst it's possible semi synthetic may have been the recommendation when these cars were new, I'm pretty confident any garage you took it to nowadays would put (or recommend to put) fully synthetic oil in it, I'd expect including most Toyota dealers (those that would service an Alphard).

Hope that makes sense?

Hi Pipsyp

In book I am told it says semi synthetic, 5-30.

Toyota garage said semi.

Not changed it yet but beginning to have thoughts on which is correct now.i have a bottle of Toyota 5 30 but is semi and am unsure now.

Hi Pipsyp 

Thanks for all your help here you have been fantastic, thank you.

I have no idea what oil is in van but the one I intend going with is as below.Should I do a oil wash or just drain and leave plenty time to drain out before putting this in.

Got this one from the site you suggested, spoke to a guy there and he said that A5/B5 is all good with the info you gave me earlier.

Trouble is you don't really know what garage puts in to your car.

But do take your comments on mixing oils but whether drain time should be flushed out at same time is a point, any comments welcome.

Comma Xtech 5w-30 Fully Synthetic Car Engine Oil

Click for larger pictureClick for larger pictureClick for larger pictureClick for larger pictureClick for larger pictureClick for larger pictureClick for larger picture

Sizes:

Comma Xtech 5w-30 - 1 Litre

1 LITRE

£7.99

Comma Xtech 5w-30 - 5 Litres

5 LITRES

£32.95

In Stock: 6 Left

£32.95

Delivery:

Priority Estimate: 17/04/2024 to 19/04/2024

• Dispatched: Tomorrow
  • Order Before: 2pm Tuesday

Standard Estimate: 18/04/2024 to 22/04/2024

QTY:

Add To Basket

Description:

Comma Xtech 5w-30 is a fully synthetic, high performance engine oil offering the fuel economy benefits of an ACEA A5/B5 oil.

Suitable for petrol and diesel vehicles, including those with fuel injected, multi-valved and turbo charged engines.

Particularly recommended for Ford DuraTec, DuraTorq and Zetec vehicles.

Part of the premium quality synthetic engine oil range from Comma, a world-class manufacturer and supplier of automotive lubricants.

Benefits:

• UK-based, independent oil 'blender'
  • Fully synthetic, high performance engine oil
  • Suitable for petrol and diesel vehicles
  • Provides maximum performance with fuel economy
  • Prolongs engine life

Specifications:

Recommended by Comma for applications requiring:
  • Ford WSS-M2C 913-C, 913-B 913-A
  • ACEA A5/B5
  • API SL / CF
  • Jaguar / Land Rover STJLR 03.5003
Official Approvals:
  • Acknowledged by Ford to meet the requirements of WSS-M2C 913-D

Technical PDF Downloads:

• Thanks 1

That oil will be fine for your Alphard . As stated previously fully synthetic is the way to go these days, out performs semi all the way . Comma is good oil ,used it no problems for a long time . Used shell helix fully synthetic in mine last change as it was on offer but used comma a lot . No need to flush , any newer oils  the last few years have good detergent properties. The 2.4 isn't known for sludging anyway . Yearly 8/10000 mile changes are fine . 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Brian1957 said:

Hi Pipsyp 

Thanks for all your help here you have been fantastic, thank you.

I have no idea what oil is in van but the one I intend going with is as below.Should I do a oil wash or just drain and leave plenty time to drain out before putting this in.

Got this one from the site you suggested, spoke to a guy there and he said that A5/B5 is all good with the info you gave me earlier.

Trouble is you don't really know what garage puts in to your car.

But do take your comments on mixing oils but whether drain time should be flushed out at same time is a point, any comments welcome.

Click for larger pictureClick for larger pictureClick for larger pictureClick for larger pictureClick for larger pictureClick for larger pictureClick for larger picture

Sizes:

Comma Xtech 5w-30 - 1 Litre

1 LITRE

£7.99

Comma Xtech 5w-30 - 5 Litres

5 LITRES

£32.95

In Stock: 6 Left

£32.95

Delivery:

Priority Estimate: 17/04/2024 to 19/04/2024

• Dispatched: Tomorrow
  • Order Before: 2pm Tuesday

Standard Estimate: 18/04/2024 to 22/04/2024

QTY:

Add To Basket

Description:

Comma Xtech 5w-30 is a fully synthetic, high performance engine oil offering the fuel economy benefits of an ACEA A5/B5 oil.

Suitable for petrol and diesel vehicles, including those with fuel injected, multi-valved and turbo charged engines.

Particularly recommended for Ford DuraTec, DuraTorq and Zetec vehicles.

Part of the premium quality synthetic engine oil range from Comma, a world-class manufacturer and supplier of automotive lubricants.

Benefits:

• UK-based, independent oil 'blender'
  • Fully synthetic, high performance engine oil
  • Suitable for petrol and diesel vehicles
  • Provides maximum performance with fuel economy
  • Prolongs engine life

Specifications:

Recommended by Comma for applications requiring:
  • Ford WSS-M2C 913-C, 913-B 913-A
  • ACEA A5/B5
  • API SL / CF
  • Jaguar / Land Rover STJLR 03.5003
Official Approvals:
  • Acknowledged by Ford to meet the requirements of WSS-M2C 913-D

Technical PDF Downloads:

Most welcome Brian!

Yep entirely as Kev1839 says and confirms, no need to flush, Comma make good products and that's an ideal oil for the Alphard 👍

Edited by pipsyp