Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Front door 'mid range' 16x9 speaker question (alphard 20)

Good morning alll, first time posting here, but have pestered many on an Alphard FB group.. 

I bought a lovely 3.5 20 series in december and i reinstated the factory radio as the Android auto unit that was already retro fitted cut a lot of functionally (camera/speakers) im quite happy with the original head unit, i have the 18 spkr system. Ive already installed a second compact active sub which has filled in a mid bass hole but tbh id like to swap out the front door 16x9 speakers for better units. In the japanese documentation ive found, the originals are listed as being 'mid range' units and i want full range down there in the doors... Im trying to ascertain if the factory speaker units have crossovers to cut the low frequency or whether the underseat 480w amp is doing the crossover part....if thats the case it preterbs me that theres not a full range high level output going to the front... Im rather hoping those door speakers have a crossover. Im driving my amplified sub from a rear full range high level amp output on the factory amp, it would be a loy easier if i could run any additional amps off the front soundstage then i wouldnt have to fanny around with the fader on the headunit and gain controls on the sub.

Obviously any better suggestions welcome... I have no interest in swapping out the headunit. 

Many thanks - Chris

Screenshot_20240124_223959_Facebook.jpg

Edited by Shorty0123
Spelling mistakes

52 minutes ago, Shorty0123 said:

Good morning alll, first time posting here, but have pestered many on an Alphard FB group.. 

I bought a lovely 3.5 20 series in december and i reinstated the factory radio as the Android auto unit that was already retro fitted cut a lot of functionally (camera/speakers) im quite happy with the original head unit, i have the 18 spkr system. Ive already installed a second compact active sub which has filled in a mid bass hole but tbh id like to swap out the front door 16x9 speakers for better units. In the japanese documentation ive found, the originals are listed as being 'mid range' units and i want full range down there in the doors... Im trying to ascertain if the factory speaker units have crossovers to cut the low frequency or whether the underseat 480w amp is doing the crossover part....if thats the case it preterbs me that theres not a full range high level output going to the front... Im rather hoping those door speakers have a crossover. Im driving my amplified sub from a rear full range high level amp output on the factory amp, it would be a loy easier if i could run any additional amps off the front soundstage then i wouldnt have to fanny around with the fader on the headunit and gain controls on the sub.

Obviously any better suggestions welcome... I have no interest in swapping out the headunit. 

Many thanks - Chris

Screenshot_20240124_223959_Facebook.jpg

Hello Chris,

Welcome to the Forum

Hi, I've probably seen you on Facebook, and via messenger.

On the 8 speaker system, there is available a cross over bypass cable, it's not compatible with the 18 speaker system.

It's sole purpose is as you gather already, to send a full range signal to the speakers.

This leads me to believe that similar cross overs must exist for the 18 speaker system.

Hi again Chris!

Yes as you've gathered in trying to get to the bottom of this one still. I'll go on a search for  a bypass cable but id also thought about switching the channels around on the amp the rear most speaker set could be diverted to the front speakers and vice versa, obvioulsy this would mess with the fader but id aim to get a decent sound with the fader set to the zero or middle position. Ive had so many vehicles with full range speakers in the front doors that it makes no sense to me to remove those lower frequencies at that position in the car. I suspect I'll need to dynamat the enclosures or damp them a bit better. Im wondering if the japanese market sound preference is for a 'brighter, less bassy sound'  im gonna get under the seat and switch some feeds around today and investigate... Cheers. 

Edited by Shorty0123

• 5 months later...

Hi, Chris.

Did you get anywhere with this? I was thinking to go 6:9 2 ways in the 4 doors, and maybe that pair in the rear, but would need  adaptor rings?