Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Insurance companies don't like the Alphard

I have had the misfortune to have made 3 claims in a 5 year period. But been clear since June 2022. I bought my present 2.4 Alphard on August 27th 2022. The insurance on top of £500. I had already paid for my 2004 Estima was an additional £1,500. When my Alphard insurance came up for renewal on the 3rd March 2023 it was a staggering £3,600. + a loading to pay it over 12 months took it to around £4,200. Then the Inverter went and was replaced with a brand new one imported from Japan for £5,200. ( including VAT and Delivery )+ fitting and set up charge and whilst Alfie was off the road I hired a car for 5 weeks @ £350. a week.

So all in I have had an expensive time, my love affair with Japanese imports since 2007, may be coming to an end. As the renewal quote for Alfie is slightly cheaper this year at £3,600. including payment plan loading. I understand from my insurance broker who I have been with since 1975, that there are only 2 companies who will insure me, Aviva is the one I am with plus one other Sabre but their quote was around £500 more than Aviva. My broker said get rid of the import and your premium will drop by a lot as the insurance companies don't like insuring the imports and are quick to write them off with the smallest of accident, quoting we can't get the parts mate.

So I will drive Alfie for another year and see what next years quote will be. I hope to make the meet up this year as last year I had a stroke and could not drive for a month which happened to fall around last years meet up time.

8 hours ago, Michael Brown said:

I have had the misfortune to have made 3 claims in a 5 year period. But been clear since June 2022. I bought my present 2.4 Alphard on August 27th 2022. The insurance on top of £500. I had already paid for my 2004 Estima was an additional £1,500. When my Alphard insurance came up for renewal on the 3rd March 2023 it was a staggering £3,600. + a loading to pay it over 12 months took it to around £4,200. Then the Inverter went and was replaced with a brand new one imported from Japan for £5,200. ( including VAT and Delivery )+ fitting and set up charge and whilst Alfie was off the road I hired a car for 5 weeks @ £350. a week.

So all in I have had an expensive time, my love affair with Japanese imports since 2007, may be coming to an end. As the renewal quote for Alfie is slightly cheaper this year at £3,600. including payment plan loading. I understand from my insurance broker who I have been with since 1975, that there are only 2 companies who will insure me, Aviva is the one I am with plus one other Sabre but their quote was around £500 more than Aviva. My broker said get rid of the import and your premium will drop by a lot as the insurance companies don't like insuring the imports and are quick to write them off with the smallest of accident, quoting we can't get the parts mate.

So I will drive Alfie for another year and see what next years quote will be. I hope to make the meet up this year as last year I had a stroke and could not drive for a month which happened to fall around last years meet up time.

Hello Michael,

I am sincerely sorry to hear about your continuing story of woe with your Alphie.

With the greatest of respect, I think your accident record is the issue with insurance.

Without doubt insurance premiums have risen.

But I have read, in this forum, of many members who have received increases but not by much; including myself.

I was insured with Aviva for a very reasonable premium until I have my van converted.

When I informed Aviva of the 'modifications' they asked me to find another insurer and gave me a reasonable time to do so.

I hope that another year will give you plenty of time to find another insurer; perhaps you should try not going through your broker.

Try LV, they have several subsidiaries that do insure Alphards.

Good Luck, and hopefully enjoy a years motoring in your Alphie.

• Thanks 1

Yeah they are not the easiest things to insure, it's made considerably worse (well the options are far more limited) when converted.

I'm with JustKampers at the moment, they've been excellent to date in fairness to them but I'll be due renewal May time I believe and be interesting to see what the premium is.....I'd rather stay with them as shopping around these is no fun but I guess we'll see!

Sadly in the OPs scenario, the accident history and medical situation will be playing a big part, making something relatively expensive to insure anyway extremely so.

• Like 1

I consider myself a fairly safe driver until 2020. Then 3 accidents in a 3 year period, 20, 21 & 22 and nothing since I lost 60% and am down to 40% on my no claims, just will have to build it back up again. I have always had fully comprehensive  car insurance.

I really like the Estima and now the Alphard as they are well appointed in their construction and inside luxury. Also I cannot afford to buy a newer vehicle. As it is I paid £9,500. for Alfie back in August 2022 and I want to get some more use from driving it. Lovely vehicle to drive.