Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

No Warranty provided on electric doors

Hi all, hoping to become an owner soon and frantically looking for a good deal on one.

I've viewed a few and there's one I may buy but the seller, an established company in my area told me they give a 3 month full warranty that covers everything except the electric doors.

Is there an issue with the doors on the Alphard?

Cheers

3 hours ago, Peterm69uk said:

Hi all, hoping to become an owner soon and frantically looking for a good deal on one.

I've viewed a few and there's one I may buy but the seller, an established company in my area told me they give a 3 month full warranty that covers everything except the electric doors.

Is there an issue with the doors on the Alphard?

Cheers

Hello Peter,

Welcome to the Forum.

Yes, there can be.

The cables can become tight, or snag or even snap.

They are not cheap to replace !

The soft close motors can fail but this is far less prevalent.

There are tips on how to fix the issue within this forum.

So more reading required.

You don't state the age of the van you are interested in, or the mileage.

I'll send you a PM.

• Like 1

No not really, only that they are quite complicated, expensive to repair (relatively speaking) and given these are now quite old vehicles I can understand why they wouldn't warranty them.

If they work now chances are they'll continue to work for some time to come so I wouldn't be too concerned.  Just check that they open and close OK as of now and that there is no obvious damage to the cables that run under the rear 3/4 glass.....some minor splits/cracks in the plastic sheathing isn't anything to get too worked up about.

• Like 1

Unless you're a taxi driver or chauffeur, my advice is to turn off the power doors. The soft close still works in this state which is ideal when you don't want to wake your camping neighbours returning from the pub/3AM trip to the toilet block.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Geralt said:

Unless you're a taxi driver or chauffeur, my advice is to turn off the power doors. The soft close still works in this state which is ideal when you don't want to wake your camping neighbours returning from the pub/3AM trip to the toilet block.

🤣 Thanks for the tip 👍🏼

30 minutes ago, Geralt said:

Yeah the soft close is a really nice touch, same on the tailgate if it's powered 👍

• Like 1

my 2006 alphy 3ltr has only one elecric door the other non electric sliding, went to open one day and the handle broke completely off, toyota main dealers say that its not just the handle, but the internal fixings which fix onto the external handle need renewing also, yet i contacted nippon auto spares and was told by them that only need handle and any qualified mechanic can fit the handle which would cost very little to fit, keep you updated. 

• Like 2