Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

new Battery Vellfire 11 (2012) Anh20-w Japanese import

Hi Guys

I am new here,  and have a new Vellfire recently converted to a camper by a business no longer a business- no help, no warranty. Hence here to ask what battery do I need for the vehicle, it is totally non functional.  Many dealers including toyota dealership in my town cannot tell me... the full frame number is DBA-ANH20W-VTSCXGN apparently an X class. Any suggestions for helpful sellers and or an actual toyota part number?? thanks Lyn

Edited by Lynw
wrong infor re frame number

13 hours ago, Lynw said:

Hi Guys

I am new here,  and have a new Vellfire recently converted to a camper by a business no longer a business- no help, no warranty. Hence here to ask what battery do I need for the vehicle, it is totally non functional.  Many dealers including toyota dealership in my town cannot tell me... the full frame number is DBA-ANH20W-VTSCXGN apparently an X class. Any suggestions for helpful sellers and or an actual toyota part number?? thanks Lyn

Hello Lyn,

Welcome to the Forum.

How recently did you buy it ?

I assume you are referring to the main (starter) battery.

Contact Tanya batteries, they will help. They do a great mail order service.

Make sure you get the correct terminal layout and terminal size.

If you are referring to the Leisure Battery, give Tanya the part number (on the battery) and , I expect, they will help with that too.

If the leisure battery, are you sure the split charging works.

Last, but not least, is the alternator working ?

I would expect it is not that on a vehicle as young as yours.

Is it high mileage ?

I'll also send you a Personal (Private) message.

Thanks for welcome Rojie, it is good to be here. 

Question and answers not in order.

Main battery, spoke to garage today  to see if it was alternator- they are pretty sure it is the battery...

History... 

We picked the van up 23rd December 23. And haven't really used it as the fitter fitted substandard bed, and the wrong sized kitchen. We were keeping it pristine so as to return in same condition. When we realised there was no business to get things rectified with we decided to take it out and found the battery dead. The breakdown towed to local Toyota garage who couldn't source a battery. The charged it, all seemed good.... (but they couldn't test it with diagnostics as it is not compatible with UK machines. Something I am sure you were all aware of right?). They just left it overnight to  see if still charged. It seemed fine. I took it out last week Weds and Thursday. Come Sunday nothing. So that is my sad and sorry tale... 

3 minutes ago, Lynw said:

Thanks for welcome Rojie, it is good to be here. 

Question and answers not in order.

Main battery, spoke to garage today  to see if it was alternator- they are pretty sure it is the battery...

History... 

We picked the van up 23rd December 23. And haven't really used it as the fitter fitted substandard bed, and the wrong sized kitchen. We were keeping it pristine so as to return in same condition. When we realised there was no business to get things rectified with we decided to take it out and found the battery dead. The breakdown towed to local Toyota garage who couldn't source a battery. The charged it, all seemed good.... (but they couldn't test it with diagnostics as it is not compatible with UK machines. Something I am sure you were all aware of right?). They just left it overnight to  see if still charged. It seemed fine. I took it out last week Weds and Thursday. Come Sunday nothing. So that is my sad and sorry tale... 

PS thanks for the tip about Tanya batteries, and no the leisure battery charging isn't/wasn't working properly as well... a loose connection, but obv still not working :) PS I will in future try to write everything in one post and be more concise. 

12 hours ago, Lynw said:

PS thanks for the tip about Tanya batteries, and no the leisure battery charging isn't/wasn't working properly as well... a loose connection, but obv still not working :) PS I will in future try to write everything in one post and be more concise. 

Just as an aside.

You should never let your van be towed.

Automatic transmissions can be harmed by towing.

You should use a dolley at least, and preferably a flat bed truck.

This applies to all automatics, not just Alphies.

It is not unusual to have battery issues.

Batteries can be tested by any competent garage, or Halford, Kwik Fit, and others.

They need to be tested under heavy load.

A voltmeter is not enough, unless you have a dead cell. (10.8v).

You must keep yours fully charged, certainly the starter battery.

If you park off road, a smart charger is a great investment.

Check for loose connections on the battery and earth leads.

Ensure the room (mood) lights are off, which can be difficult to detect in daylight.

I have dimmable lights running off the leisure battery; again essential to ensure they are off !

• Like 1

Diagnostics on the 20 series ( which you have, your chassis code refers to ( ANH20....), is possible using the obd2 port.

It uses the Japanese protocols. 

If you have a laptop, you can buy a cheap connector and software to enable you to diagnose and reset things, as well as configure dealer options like the sliding door beeps, auto lights thresholds etc etc.

You'll find threads here if you search, or just ask if you want links to where to buy.

You can even use a Bluetooth adaptor that connects to your phone via app.

• Like 1