Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Filling up with LPH

Hi everyone, I've just got my first 2005 Alphard which takes LPG. I tried to fill up yesterday and autogas nozzle fitted well but no gas came out. Could there be an internal switch I need to use to open up a possible valve? Any assistance, gratefully received!

3 hours ago, Kizzo said:

Hi everyone, I've just got my first 2005 Alphard which takes LPG. I tried to fill up yesterday and autogas nozzle fitted well but no gas came out. Could there be an internal switch I need to use to open up a possible valve? Any assistance, gratefully received!

Hello Kizzi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Hi Kizzi,

LPG pumps vary quite a lot. In the UK filling stations use a bayonet fitting, but the method of locking the filler hose onto your fitting can differ a lot. In general, once you've put the filler hose onto the Alphard's fitting (making sure the bayonet slots on the hose match the pins on the fitting) the principle then  is to turn a part of the filler nozzle through 45 or 90 degrees (i.e. up to a quarter of a turn) to secure it, then pull the lever back to lock on. Sometimes the filler nozzle needs to be pushed forward a tad to turn it, sometimes there's a gun trigger to lock on..... However, it's always a 2-stage process, even though the actual ways of turning and locking on can differ depending on the filling station. Forecourts often have failsafe devices, so if it takes too long to lock the filler on then the LPG gas will turn off at the pump. This happened to me a few times in the early days -usual trick is to return the filler fully to its holder and start again. Once gas starts to be delivered you'll need to hold a flow button on the LPG forecourt pump to keep it filling - it can often take a while!

We don't have a switch in the Alphard for filling and because filler valves are non-return valves, i.e. won't let LPG leak out, it seems there would be no point in having a switch to allow LPG in. The forecourt pump effectively addresses this by delivering the LPG under pressure - which is what keeps it as a liquid in the tank. But that's not to say you won't have a switch - I guess you'll need to contact whoever did the LPG conversion to make sure.

Incidentally, you will need LPG adapters if driving in Europe or beyond:

You screw the appropriate adapter into your filler fitting, before attempting to fill from the pump, which allows the filler hose to make a connection. Once you've filled up, you can unscrew your adaptor. The three different types are often sold as a complete kit - see, for example, https://lpgshop.co.uk

Good luck!

• Like 1