Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX Ă—

Engine mgmt light & stuck in 3rd!

Hi all Alphardians 🫠 engine management(2005 V6 3.0) light on once up to temperature and will not go above 3rd. I assume this is "limp mode". My garages code reader says "knock sensor" but that's all. I suspect their reader not picking up import codes. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - - Paul 

Does sound like knock sensor issue there is 2 knock sensors worth changing both as its a pig of a job to do need to take inlet manifold off

Thanks Lee for your quick reply. I have treated myself to an OBD reader to verify. I will log progress as things occur. Do you know what would cause these sensors to fail? N.B Always used E5 petrol.

42 minutes ago, Picasso said:

Does sound like knock sensor issue there is 2 knock sensors worth changing both as its a pig of a job to do need to take inlet manifold off

It's not fuel related its just normal wear and tear what you need to remember some of these sensors have not been replaced before if you been closer to coventry I would have read the codes for you as I have techstream software which is the proper toyota software knock sensors read the vibrations in the engine bit of advice if you do replace these buy genuine toyota only as you will want to do this job only once don't buy cheap aftermarket ones which can be found on ebay for about £40 for 2. genuine ones about £120 each 

Edited by Picasso
Spelling

1 hour ago, Picasso said:

It's not fuel related its just normal wear and tear what you need to remember some of these sensors have not been replaced before if you been closer to coventry I would have read the codes for you as I have techstream software which is the proper toyota software knock sensors read the vibrations in the engine bit of advice if you do replace these buy genuine toyota only as you will want to do this job only once don't buy cheap aftermarket ones which can be found on ebay for about £40 for 2. genuine ones about £120 each 

Many thanks for your knowledge Lee, will keep forum updated.