Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Looking to buy an Alphard - some advice please!

Hello all, I am looking to join the wonderful world of Alphards!

I am looking at a 2003 model for sale near me with just over 80,000 on the clock - it is for sale at offers on or around £20,000.  There’s a few bits I have concerns over I would value some general advice on please.

1.  The alloy wheels are in poor condition

2. The leisure battery needs replacement and they couldn’t guarantee that it was being charged properly.
3. By their own admission the fridge is dubious. It wasn’t new when they got the van and has been unreliable apparently - a replacement will be needed.
4. There is an Advisory note on the headlights in MOT – they have become discoloured with age. Advisory only for the last 2 years and the garage advised they are still well within the legal limits.

If anyone could offer advice particularly on the electrical scenario what sort of cost might we be looking at to get a garage do it (I know nothing about electrics).

Thanks in advance, Harry

54 minutes ago, Harry Bell said:

Hello all, I am looking to join the wonderful world of Alphards!

I am looking at a 2003 model for sale near me with just over 80,000 on the clock - it is for sale at offers on or around £20,000.  There’s a few bits I have concerns over I would value some general advice on please.

1.  The alloy wheels are in poor condition

2. The leisure battery needs replacement and they couldn’t guarantee that it was being charged properly.
3. By their own admission the fridge is dubious. It wasn’t new when they got the van and has been unreliable apparently - a replacement will be needed.
4. There is an Advisory note on the headlights in MOT – they have become discoloured with age. Advisory only for the last 2 years and the garage advised they are still well within the legal limits.

If anyone could offer advice particularly on the electrical scenario what sort of cost might we be looking at to get a garage do it (I know nothing about electrics).

Thanks in advance, Harry

Hello Harry,

Welcome to the Forum,

1) Alloy wheels can be refurbished to new condition, assuming they are not cracked, even then some can be professionally repaired.

2) Batteries don't last forever, split chargers are not expensive; have wiring checked.

3) Fridge, 500 pounds !

4) Headlights can be polished, some Alphards have tinted headlight.

Mileage doesn't seem excessive for a 21year old vehicle, do you have evidence it is correct ?

All things considered, 20k looks high.

Hi Rojie

thank-you for your advice. Yes, we looked at fridges and couldn’t believe the price! We think we will go for an Absorption fridge.  Interesting re the wheels - I didn’t know that was possible.  We were thinking all things considered around the £18,500 mark.  It was imported at 30,000 miles and converted from the KM, the owner thinks it should be more like 60,0000 miles on it, and it has been very well looked after by her on the inside.  It comes with lots of kitchen stuff, Thetford, side attaching tent and of all things, a tent for the toilet to sit in!!  

We haven’t taken it for a test drive yet, that will be next.  Is there anything else in particular to look out for?

much appreciated,

Harry

1 hour ago, Harry Bell said:

Hi Rojie

thank-you for your advice. Yes, we looked at fridges and couldn’t believe the price! We think we will go for an Absorption fridge.  Interesting re the wheels - I didn’t know that was possible.  We were thinking all things considered around the £18,500 mark.  It was imported at 30,000 miles and converted from the KM, the owner thinks it should be more like 60,0000 miles on it, and it has been very well looked after by her on the inside.  It comes with lots of kitchen stuff, Thetford, side attaching tent and of all things, a tent for the toilet to sit in!!  

We haven’t taken it for a test drive yet, that will be next.  Is there anything else in particular to look out for?

much appreciated,

Harry

Unfortunately, changing the miles to kilometres does offer the opportunity for deliberate 'errors'.

These occur,, if at all, before the vehicle is MOTd and registered.

You should ask to see the Auction Certificate, which should be accurate.

The Auction Sheet will also record various nicks and touch-ups, an indicator of the care  (or otherwise) previous owners have taken.

Clearly clocking could have been done before that.

CarVX offers reports, many members think they are good value.

Unless the vehicle has a very recent MOT, I would get an AA or RAC Inspection.

It's worth checking DVLA MOT history to assess annual mileage and general attitude to maintenance.

I did, 300 UKL, very thorough, found no problems, very reassuring.

I have another vehicle that I had my alloy wheels refurbished, not cheap but looked like new (and still do).

You should consider how and where you will have it serviced; don't assume it will be easy to find a suitable mechanic. Check before you buy.

Beware the test drive. These vehicles drive beautifully.

Unless something is seriously wrong with it, you won't notice.

More likely, you'll will be very impressed with the limousine style ride.