Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Awning rail

Hi everyone, we have recently bought an Alphard with pop top but are having trouble getting awning rail fitted as doors curve over top slightly and there is limited space.  Anyone have any solutions or are we looking at magnetic rail, which reading reviews aren't great. We are in North Wales 

55 minutes ago, Deb62 said:

Hi everyone, we have recently bought an Alphard with pop top but are having trouble getting awning rail fitted as doors curve over top slightly and there is limited space.  Anyone have any solutions or are we looking at magnetic rail, which reading reviews aren't great. We are in North Wales 

Hello Debbie,

Welcome to the Forum.

Awnings and rails is one of the most popular topics in this forum.

Search for Awnings at the top right of your home page.

I recently fitted an awning rail by removing the gutter cover and fitting the rail in it's place. It is held in place with adhesive mostly, and a single self tapper on the leading edge. IMG_20240518_155636.thumb.jpg.7d7d1f5e268dba967d147d49d54a3c82.jpgIMG_20240518_153156.thumb.jpg.14c3a04c14974b21d8166b52923d1f3f.jpg

Posted (edited)

Thankyou, that looks like a good option.  Where did you purchase rail from?

Edited by Deb62

I bought it from here. I searched high and low, and this was the only place I could find that was selling it in a single 3M length, and in black. Delivery is quite expensive at £18 because of the length.  https://batteriesandsolar.co.uk/products/flexible-awning-track-black-3m-g512bk?fbclid=IwAR2yAVt2117vou5OC3n_MIH_rnSaIsyKCppsGMuwk4aspPWEgK0zRa1fis8

• Thanks 1

Ours has one fitted so that its hidden under the drivelodge pop top.  I think it's been pop riveted onto the roof, but believe it was done as part of the original pop top install by Northstar.

• Thanks 1

I did originally intend to fit a rail that would be hidden by the pop top, and it would certainly have been cheaper and simpler to fit, but I liked the idea of being able to use the rail without the pop top being up.  

• Like 1

On 5/31/2024 at 8:13 PM, smurf said:

I bought it from here. I searched high and low, and this was the only place I could find that was selling it in a single 3M length, and in black. Delivery is quite expensive at £18 because of the length.  https://batteriesandsolar.co.uk/products/flexible-awning-track-black-3m-g512bk?fbclid=IwAR2yAVt2117vou5OC3n_MIH_rnSaIsyKCppsGMuwk4aspPWEgK0zRa1fis8

Hi there. You said that you were local to us and I did message you but having trouble using this forum.  If you have half an hour spare can we have a quick look at yours as I will be doing it and don't want to mess up.  Thankyou

3 hours ago, Deb62 said:

Hi there. You said that you were local to us and I did message you but having trouble using this forum.  If you have half an hour spare can we have a quick look at yours as I will be doing it and don't want to mess up.  Thankyou

All you do is click on Smurfs large Pale Blue icon and press Message. 

• 2 months later...

@smurfVery useful post.  I was looking for a solution that didn’t involve me attaching the rail to side of the vehicle, and yours might be the way to go.  Couple of questions:-—

- did the existing rubber length pull out easily?

- what adhesive did you use?

- did you need to drill a hole at the top end for the self tapping screw, or was there something me already there?

The rubber cover came out very easily. It is held in place by a couple of clips, one at each end. These clips are held in the gutter with adhesive pads and also need removing, but they can be easily levered out.

I used sikaflex 522 adhesive.

I had to drill a hole to accommodate the self tapper. It's only purpose was to hold the rail in place on the curved front end while the sealant went off, so you may find an alternative method could work.

The rail has had some use this summer, and at time we were being battered by high winds, but the rail hasn't budged one bit. 

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  I will how, likely go down this path and adopt the same solution.  The temporary magnetic sleeve hasn’t really worked.