Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Wheel nut torque

I had some new tyres fitted, and the fitters were a bit concerned that they couldn't find the manufacturer's recommended wheel nut torque in their database.

Does anyone know what it is? 

(2003 Alphard 2.4L)

11 hours ago, JoKing said:

I had some new tyres fitted, and the fitters were a bit concerned that they couldn't find the manufacturer's recommended wheel nut torque in their database.

Does anyone know what it is? 

(2003 Alphard 2.4L)

About 75 to 80 foot/pounds. I think.

It is recorded somewhere in this Forum.

As he wasnt sure, the fitter did them up to 180 Nms which is about 132  ft lbs. So they are not likely to come loose!

1 hour ago, JoKing said:

As he wasnt sure, the fitter did them up to 180 Nms which is about 132  ft lbs. So they are not likely to come loose!

Hello Joanna,

No, they won't come loose; and you won't get them off if you need to !

Dark road, raining, at night, deal with it now.

I carry  a very large toque wrench; but I cannot set it that high !

It's a 103Nm for the wheel nuts on a gen 1, so they want slackening off and redoing. 

If ever in doubt, just tighten them up with the wrench in the tool kit. It will have been designed to a length that allows the average person to sufficiently tighten the nuts up so that the wheels don't fall off. It also means you have a chance of getting them off with that wrench. If the torquing up of wheels nuts was as critical as people worry about they would supply a torque wrench in the kit, not a plain wrench, as the claims for damages when wheels came off would far outweigh the cost of a torque wrench in a tool kit. I can't imagine the tyre places are getting their torque wrenchs calibrated at regular intervals, either, so they could be torqued to anything. Every nut tight enough is what really matters. 

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Geralt said:

It's also in the manual. Pages 313 and 314.

So it is. Never noticed that before; although my pages that high are not numbered

105Nm. 77.5 ft/lb.

You will need a hefty torque wrench; I had to buy one especially.