Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Newbie looking for advice

Good after noon I’m happy owner here just looking for a little assistance . Please accept apologise if this isn’t the correct place / way to do this 

Hopefully this doesn’t upset fellow owners as mine is all set up in camper van guise and really works well for what wifey and I have planned for my up and coming retirement ..

the one slight addition I’m looking for is advice around fitting inverter ( any advice around reputable installers.. I’m based in the east of England 

thank you ( 

On 7/22/2024 at 4:41 PM, Thomo the newbie said:

Good after noon I’m happy owner here just looking for a little assistance . Please accept apologise if this isn’t the correct place / way to do this 

Hopefully this doesn’t upset fellow owners as mine is all set up in camper van guise and really works well for what wifey and I have planned for my up and coming retirement ..

the one slight addition I’m looking for is advice around fitting inverter ( any advice around reputable installers.. I’m based in the east of England 

thank you ( 

Hello John,

Welcome to the Forum.

So, I assume, we are speaking of an electrical inverter, as in Honda for example.

Most members, other than wild campers, don't use inverters.

The exhaust gases must be vented so usually the machines are placed outside, and can be a temptation for theft.

Campers can have an EHU fitted.

Electrical Hook Up; so they can connect to the 230v mains supply while visiting suitably equipped camp sites and pitches.

An EHU must be grounded for safety.

I have never used an inverter set-up and am intrigued whether they can be used without a 'proper' ground.

So, I eagerly await answers to your question from learned members

Or, are you looking for recommendations for someone to install an EHU ?

Hi Rojie 

thanks for coming back to me so quickly and please accept my apologises fir the delay in responding I’m  medical tech work for NHs doing weird shifts so at times it’s not always easy to answer . 

I didn’t explain myself to well so further apologises .. our all hard has been converted into basically a day vehicle with 240v EHU plus roof solar panel etc and what I’m really looking to do / have fitted is suitable sine way power inverter so enable us to use coffee machine ( sad I know … however that’s us NHS types ) .. I should have explained better in my original message .. 

I appreciate you assistance / help here .. on different note am really please with purchase of said vehicle it’s actually lot better than we ( wifey and I ) thought it would be .. have a good day 

John ( the newbie ) 

2 hours ago, Thomo the newbie said:

Hi Rojie 

thanks for coming back to me so quickly and please accept my apologises fir the delay in responding I’m  medical tech work for NHs doing weird shifts so at times it’s not always easy to answer . 

I didn’t explain myself to well so further apologises .. our all hard has been converted into basically a day vehicle with 240v EHU plus roof solar panel etc and what I’m really looking to do / have fitted is suitable sine way power inverter so enable us to use coffee machine ( sad I know … however that’s us NHS types ) .. I should have explained better in my original message .. 

I appreciate you assistance / help here .. on different note am really please with purchase of said vehicle it’s actually lot better than we ( wifey and I ) thought it would be .. have a good day 

John ( the newbie ) 

Do you have leisure battery fitted ?

How do you expect to power the inverter ?

You could try iced (instant) coffee and save a few bob. 

Do you have a gas hob ?

You will possibly need quite an expensive lithium battery and inverter setup if you want to start heating water with it. What is the power rating of the coffee maker?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2024 at 4:41 PM, Thomo the newbie said:

thank you ( 

Hi John, 

Have you tried bumble campers in Peterborough, they convert Alphards and Vellfires and pretty much anything else, to what you desire, so no doubt they may assist: https://www.bumblecampers.com/

I have recently purchased a 2014 Vellfire and that has an inverter beneath the front centre console that runs off the battery, but it has a Japanese mains plug at 100w. From what I have read, some have removed the invertor and made it into a 12v or USB, a 230w UK mains invertor could be placed there also, but it would be a drain on the battery but if the engine was running while you boil a kettle in 2 minutes I doubt it would matter.

I don't see why you couldn't run an invertor off your solar / EHU, and maybe an auto electrician could assist.

The cheapest solution if you just want to boil your kettle or run a fridge, or TV is a portable power station from Jackery or Bluetti, just google them, type in 'Portable Power Station' or go on to Amazon. They can be hooked up to solar panels or charged before you leave (or wherever) and last for a few hours to several days depending on your use. They usually start from £200 but go up to £2,000+ if you want to power a house ;) As always the best time to but is Amazon prime day, Black Friday or sales periods.

Lastly, 'Go outdoors' et al sell £15 gas hobs and you can buy a pack of 4 gas cartridges for £8.

Hope that helps,

Al

Edited by Ally